PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Florida Home

packmanuk
26-08-2002, 19:55
I'm going to Orlando to look at resale homes this week (Thursday) I'm looking to buy a 3 bedroom pool house (furnished) My budget is approx $130,000. I've been shown details of some available homes by a realtor who will be showing me around. Does anyone on the site know of any suitable properties or someone that could give me more info in the orlando area ? I'm looking to use it as a short term rental.

chris
29-08-2002, 22:32
When I went I made a list of all the must-haves and all the nice-to-haves. Get the realtor to drive you from your chosen home to Disney (not just the start of world drive) so that you know just how long it takes - dont take their word for it!The sellers agents I saw were quite impressed that I could tell them straight away which criteria were lacking so far as I was concerned eg mine had to have at least a 24 foot south facing pool. Some I saw were only 18!

For more to choose from look at www.realtor.com. That will tell you which agent your realtor needs to contact.
Chris

disney
31-08-2002, 00:58
We bought our villa in June this year. I agree with last posting that you should make a list of what you want in a property to narrow down your choice. At your budget level, I would also suggest that you think about the age of property you would accept. You may well be faced with the choice of a new(er) villa further from Disney, or an old(er) villa a little closer. Also consider that the world doesn't revolve around Disney! The Interstate-4 is the artery to just about all the main attractions.

Before I went over I used a (Prudential) website from a realtor that I considered using, www.wayneowens.com . On this site you can search for available properties with 3+ bedrooms and less than $130k or any other criteria you want. You need to be careful though as its not always clear whether the properties are zoned for short-term rental or not and you must make sure that the one you buy is!

Good luck with your hunting.

David Preece

Alain
31-08-2002, 02:34
I would agree with previous posts, but I think location counts for everything, particularly if you plan to rent the property.
Practically every enquiry I receive insists on 'Close to Disney'

First timers to Florida like to be on top of the Disney gates!

I wish you well with your purchase.

Alain

imported_n/a
31-08-2002, 02:40
Hi

If you want a realtor, I can thoroughly recommend ours - she is now our MC too and a great personal friend. She also has properties available. She listened to us, immediately walked to a house and pointed out the bad points as opposed to trying us to get us to buy it!!

Email me bob.jane@btopenworld.com if you would like any further details - good luck and I hope you find somewhere lovely - we saw a lot of bad ones before we found ours-so don't get disheartened.

fiona
31-08-2002, 03:07
The same adage applies in Florida as at home; location, location, location.

Apart from that buy what suits you and your family the best, and make sure the estate is zoned for short term rental.

Fiona

esprit
31-08-2002, 03:27
Try to get a property with a unique selling point if possible. There is a lot of competition out there in the rentals market and it can be a real boon if you have something which will make you stand out from the crowd. A jacuzzi comes into this category as does a nice rear view or a south facing pool. It is worth stretching just that bit extra to get something which will rent more easily. When we bought our re-sale, we saw a number of really non descript houses, some with really small pools, some backing onto other houses screens. We were orginally looking in the same price range that you are. Eventually we stretched ourselves another $20,000 ( it went on the mortgage) and got a home with a nice golf lot, open views and a jacuzzi. It rents well and I have not regretted stretching that bit.

Julie Carty

blott
31-08-2002, 14:23
Julie's right in what she says - if you can stretch your budget that extra bit for a home with a USP then you will have something with which to pull in bookings.

People who are going for the first time ask for close to Disney but, those who have been before, usually are a lot more picky and ask for pool privacy, a south facing pool, a jacuzzi, etc. You can't change the pool privacy (apart from putting in a fence), the way your pool faces or have a jacuzzi (apart from a separate and not in-ground one which takes up part of your existing pool deck) after you've bought your home so consider these points when you are looking around.

Sometimes the simplest things make a difference - we picked up a booking because our home (although an identical model to the one the people we met in Florida were staying in) has an oversized pool deck. The home they were staying in didn't have room to talk past anyone on a lounger without falling into the pool!

Good luck with your purchase.

Blott