PDA

View Full Version : Asthmatics in Florida

Julie
25-05-2004, 19:57
Hi everybody

Moving to Florida shortly (hopefully) can anybody tell me what the cost of inhalers are for ashmatics, also health insurance, would this put the premiums up or not.

Thanks

blott
25-05-2004, 21:58
Unfortunately yes, I'm almost certain it would put the premiums up. You could check out UK expat insurance for the first year or so as it's difficult to get insurance in the US when you first arrive (but note you have to take it out before you leave the UK). If you put in 'international health insurance uk' into a search engine, you should find a lot of results.

Try here http://www2.eckerd.com/content.asp?content=e%2Dpharmacy%5FL1 and use the search facility to put in your particular inhaler and it should come up with the price. Don't forget you need to add in the cost of the visit to the Dr to get the prescription.

Eckerd also do a discount prescription subscription for the whole family which you could check out whilst you're on their website.

dbrook
25-05-2004, 22:49
I enquired about that Julie with various insurance companies as our daughter has asthma but very mild, and yes you have to pay more if you want her covered for it, although I cannot remember how much more it was. We didn't bother as Laura has never been hospitalised before and the US climate seems to suit her well anyway.

We also made sure we had plenty of inhalers to take with us before we left for Florida:D

esprit
26-05-2004, 06:56
It does put the premium up but it wasnt a mega amount on a young person. Funnily enough we declared our son who was asthmatic in the UK on the policy. stockpiled inhalers etc to take with us and the climate seems to have cured him because he rarely if ever needs anything. He has been badly asthmatic since age 5 in the UK and on steriods. It appears it was all down to climate, coughs and colds and inner city pollution.

dbrook
26-05-2004, 11:41
That's good Julie. I wonder if the ratio of asthmatics is generally lower in the US?

Florida seems to suit your son all round doesn't it:D:D

janice
26-05-2004, 17:48
Hi, my son has had asthma since he was 2 and Florida is the only place he doesn't need his inhalers. He always takes them with him but has never used them while he was there (he is now 17) It is quite a mild form as he plays football twice a week, jogs and plays cricket and only needs to use them before a game. I would love it if we could live there just for that reason[msnsmile2]

Julie
27-05-2004, 14:21
Hi everybody

Thanks for your replys. I will check out expat insurance. If you can recomend a company please let me know.

Thanks again

blott
27-05-2004, 17:47
Well, BUPA and PPP have plans but, if you have a search engine look for something like 'expat health insurance' you'll find lots.

chrizzy100
27-05-2004, 19:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janice
Hi, my son has had asthma since he was 2 and Florida is the only place he doesn't need his inhalers. He always takes them with him but has never used them while he was there (he is now 17) It is quite a mild form as he plays football twice a week, jogs and plays cricket and only needs to use them before a game. I would love it if we could live there just for that reason[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Both my kids grow out of Asthma.....my daughter at 14...and my son at 10........he played ice hockey for years both in England and the USA...without needing his inhaler......both my kids were very sick......having 2 weeks off school most months.......I home schooled them a lot of the time......

esprit
28-05-2004, 07:18
Global do an expats policy.