PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Cove - Questions?

boo-yeh
25-05-2004, 17:12
We are going to DC at the beginning of our vacation in July and bearing in mind the time difference are going to be wide awake and in plenty of time to be knocking on the door in the morning. Just a couple of things...

1 - What time do they open?
2 - When is the best time to get the dolphin swim - I was going to go for as early as possible and avoid the afternoon and any potential disruption due to storms.

Advice gratefully received from those who've done it all before...

Ruth
25-05-2004, 17:26
I think they open at 8am or 8.30am if I remember correctly but it should tell you on the letter you get when you have booked. I like to do the sswim about an hour after we arrive. That gives plenty of time to get all the equipment, find where you are going and get changed. You then have the rest of the day to enjoy the park after your swim:)

boo-yeh
25-05-2004, 17:29
Same idea as me by the look of things. At their prices I will be squeezing every minute out of the day.

florida
25-05-2004, 19:38
If my memory serves me right, when you check in at DC they allocate your dolphin swim time and you are not able to choose. They only allow a 1000 guests in during the day so it never feels really crowded. We arrived before 9.00am and swam at about 11.00am. I remeber joining a small queue outside to get in & as it was early they were serving tea & coffee. I am sure they open at 8.00am but it would be advisable to check. Definately get there early to make the most of your day

NickClark
25-05-2004, 20:45
We arrived at 8am, we were first in line at reception and we were offered first refusal on first dolphin swim times of 9am. This we took.The introduction where they show you around the park starts at 8.30 and we then had around 25 minutes to squeeze into the wet suits and arrive at the briefing. Dolphin swim began around 9.15 and lasted about 30 minutes. Only down side was the air temperature was still cold being so early but that was April. You should not have a problem going July. It costs a lot but it is a once in a life time experience.Make sure that all of your party get in the same group as the video and photos require a bank loan to purchase.Believe me you dont want to be buying more than 1. The food was great too. They basicly just let you go up as many times as you wanted. We left around 4.30 and I could hardly move the next day( used muscles I did not know I had :):):)

Nostromo
26-05-2004, 00:10
My wife went to DC this visit; we were told she could report any time between 8am and 10:30am, but were advised that earlier would be better. As it was, I was dropping her off on my way to ATX at the Kennedy Space Center and so we left the villa at 7:30 and arrived at DC by 8pm. The lobby was quiet and my wife later said that the check-in process went very smoothly. July is likely to be a busy season.

Also, arriving early might give you a better chance of taking it easy with the park, including the non-dolphin swim attractions. Most importantly, it usually rains most afternoons in July and by arriving early you could have finished most of DC by the time the skies open.

boo-yeh
26-05-2004, 12:10
Thanks everyone - very helpful!
:D

boo-yeh
15-06-2004, 02:32
Oo... thought of something else I wanted to ask about DC from those in the know - they don't let you use your own sun screen and you have to use their own 'dolphin friendly' stuff according to their blurb. Is there plenty of this stuff available??

[msncool][msncool]

trevlad
15-06-2004, 03:36
chris ,
we visited last september and this was not mentioned then. we certainly used our own sun cream . we had an early swim then pleased ourselves as the day went on. you can buy creams and t shirts, towels etc etc, also we picked up under water disposable cameras - great fun
other highlights were gliding round with the rays and winding up the barracuda by pulling yourself down under the 'wreck' and pushing your face against the glass - bit naughty, but. they really want to kill you, nasty little 'rude words':D:D

trev[8D]

skippy
15-06-2004, 15:40
We went to Discovery Cove last summer and we were given a satchets of suncream with our towels etc.
We opted for the valet parking too, great, we were also given complimentary parking at Seaworld with the ticket, even though D.C. tickets are expensive you do get 7 days into Seaworld also.

wrpac00
15-06-2004, 17:25
Have been lucky enough to go twice. They should provide you with enough sun screen, we have always had enough and I am sure they would give you more if you asked for it. I would not use your own.

I thought you booked a slot for the dolphin swim? But yes get there before 9am. We always go in August and have never had to queue more than 10mins both times.

As far as the weather is concerned, they will clear the pool in there is thunder in the area but you will get your swim no matter what.

Nostromo
15-06-2004, 18:05
My wife went last month and they definitely specified that they would only allow their own 'animal friendly' sun creams etc. My wife rang them to double check since she was used to only one type of sunscreen, but they confirmed that they would not allow outside creams.

Kickstart
16-06-2004, 18:34
It's Panama Jack sunscreen and my wife, who is very sensitive to the sun, found it excellent. Mind you some people didn't use any and looked very much like lobsters by the end of the day, and it wasn't even sunny.

Be careful if you go for the swim vest style wet suit, make sure you get someone to do your back and legs as you spend a lot of time with them out of the water whilst you are snorkling

boo-yeh
16-06-2004, 19:07
Oo - didn't think it would be anything as mainstream as Panama Jack, so that's good news - we usually change over to that once the UK stuff has run out anyway. As for getting burnt - hear what you're saying - been there on the Gulf Coast (embarrasing story) so lesson already learnt.

[msncool][msnmad]

caseyd
27-09-2004, 02:52
boo-yeh, how was the Discovery Cove visit? Inquiring minds want to know! I just booked DC for my family of 4 for Dec 24 (took some getting used to on the cost and potential for really being cold, even w/wetsuits, but I took the plunge!). I made my decision based on the reviews on here as the vast amount are very positive, and I will give the certificates to the kids in their Christmas stockings on Christmas Eve morning before we rush out to get an early start. Do tell- how was it?