PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Parking

the teacher
22-05-2004, 18:08
hi
i'm taking my 89 yr old mother to our new home on the gulf coast during early august.
we have a blue disabled card for her in the UK, what is the system for access to disabled bays in florida??
cheers
lyn

blott
22-05-2004, 19:04
Just use the same disabled card as they are now interchangeable with the US version.

<span style="color:red">PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NO LONGER THE CORRECT ADVICE AND YOU NEED TO OBTAIN A PARKING PERMIT WITHIN FLORIDA.

JUST TAKE YOUR UK BLUE BADGE INTO ANY TAG AND TAX OFFICE ALONG WITH YOUR PASSPORT, PAY $15 AND THEY WILL ISSUE YOU WITH A VALID DISABLED VISITOR'S PARKING PERMIT.</span id="red">

the teacher
22-05-2004, 19:50
:):)
many thanks blott, that's taken away one little problem.
cheers
lyn

KarenScott
22-05-2004, 19:55
Blott
That's good to know as my Mum who is coming with us uses one too. Will that mean that parking will be closer to the parks too? Will it be free?
Karen[:I]

blott
22-05-2004, 19:57
Sorry, but unless you've got an annual pass that gives you free parking, you still have to pay at the parks for parking! It does mean that parking will be closer to the entrances however. :)

armagedon
23-05-2004, 02:25
we used the blue badge when we went over, at the disney parks you follow the blue line for parking close to entrance and at universal studios once you have paid for the parking at the toll booth you put your hazard lights on and as you drive through atttendants direct you to a different parking bay, still quite a walk but not as long as without the badge and you must display the badge
mark

UK Jane
23-05-2004, 11:35
Lyn

Thank you for asking this question, I was going to post it myself today!! We are off to Orlando on Friday to stay for the first time in our villa and are taking my parents with us - both in their 80's. My Mum also has a Blue disabled badge - thanks Blott for your reply as this has put my mind at rest.

Kind regards

Jane

semerton
23-05-2004, 19:32
Hi
I have just got back from Florida and I had a Desabled with me I took the blue badge and put it in the window and that was ok
Sylvia [8D]

john goudie
27-05-2004, 05:22
During our last trip to Orlando in April - we were told officially that the English Blue Disabled Badge is NOT recognised in Florida. We checked again, at the local County Offices, and they too told us we needed to obtain a Temporary U.S. Disabled Parking Permit - which we did. It cost $15, and covers the duration of your trip - to a maximum period of 4 months - in our case, we needed to get one for each of our daughters - they wouldn't allow us to only have one!!!!We simply had to produce our Blue Badges (which they copied) and complete a form -so it's not complicated, but is more expensive for a temporary permit than for an annual permit - which as we have our own villa in Kissimmee, is something we intend to persue on our next trip. HAVING READ SOME OF THE OTHER QUESTIONS & ANSWERS - IT WORRIES ME - WHO IS RIGHT? - JOHN & JEANNIE -parents of 2 Rett Syndrome daughters.

chrizzy100
27-05-2004, 05:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by john goudie
During our last trip to Orlando in April - we were told officially that the English Blue Disabled Badge is NOT recognised in Florida. We checked again, at the local County Offices, and they too told us we needed to obtain a Temporary U.S. Disabled Parking Permit - which we did. It cost $15, and covers the duration of your trip - to a maximum period of 4 months - in our case, we needed to get one for each of our daughters - they wouldn't allow us to only have one!!!!We simply had to produce our Blue Badges (which they copied) and complete a form -so it's not complicated, but is more expensive for a temporary permit than for an annual permit - which as we have our own villa in Kissimmee, is something we intend to persue on our next trip. HAVING READ SOME OF THE OTHER QUESTIONS & ANSWERS - IT WORRIES ME - WHO IS RIGHT? - JOHN & JEANNIE -parents of 2 Rett Syndrome daughters.
[/quote]

My parents were told to use their English one.......and we did....for 6 weeks with no trouble....

blott
27-05-2004, 06:24
[/quote]Can we ask who 'told you officially'?

AndyC
27-05-2004, 13:22
I don't know if this will help but after requesting special assistance from Virgin Atlantic, they forwarded an info pack to me which stated that the blue disabled badge system operating in europe is now officially recognised in Florida as they have been informed by the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

I had no reason at the time to doubt this but this topic could suggest otherwise.

Andy

phaedra
27-05-2004, 13:47
If it's any help, On our first trip I was parked in a disabled bay and a sheriff's car pulled in beside me, as we didn't have the usual US style disabled tag showing I was asked to move, I showed him I had my blue EU badge in the usual UK dashboard/windscreen position and he said that was fine but recommended that I hang it from the rear view mirror as that's where they normally expect to see it.

That was the only "problem" I've ever had on any visit. I've found the US, Sweden and Switzerland to be much more "disabled friendly" than any other countries I've been to, I can't even get parked at Tescos here!.

trevlad
27-05-2004, 16:36
use sainsbury's!!:D

Carla
27-05-2004, 16:59
If you are going to Universal/IoA and your disability involves anything to do with walking, you might be much better off using the Valet Parking. It only works out at just over double the normal parking rate, but is so convenient, and cuts out loads of walking, even from the normal disabled bays.

john goudie
28-05-2004, 02:26
We were told by Leicestershire County Counil - Disabled Badge Dept - then we asked again at Osceola County Tax Dept - both said the Blue Badge is NOT recognised in Florida. However, for the last few years, we too were using the Blue Badges in Florida - it was only when our friend was issued with a 'Ticket', and had to appear in court that we started to investigate - or should I say panic!!!!!She was told by the Judge - legally she was in the wrong, but he dismissed the case and told her to get a proper U.S. Permit in the future. Hope this helps, but I guess you will be as confused as we are?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]Can we ask who 'told you officially'?
[/quote]

AndyC
01-06-2004, 18:13
Has anyone purchased one of these temporary disabled passes, I can remember reading somewhere they were only about $15 but not sure where to get them from....

Any takers please

Andy

AndyC
01-06-2004, 22:39
Doh...It would help if I read the previous post

[msnembarrased]

Sorry about that

Andy

AndyC
07-06-2004, 12:16
We were told by Leicestershire County Counil - Disabled Badge Dept - then we asked again at Osceola County Tax Dept - both said the Blue Badge is NOT recognised in Florida. However, for the last few years, we too were using the Blue Badges in Florida - it was only when our friend was issued with a 'Ticket', and had to appear in court that we started to investigate - or should I say panic!!!!!She was told by the Judge - legally she was in the wrong, but he dismissed the case and told her to get a proper U.S. Permit in the future. Hope this helps, but I guess you will be as confused as we are?

Originally posted by blott
[quote]Originally posted by john goudie

Have just received a reply to an email I sent to the Official Visitors Centre in Orlando which may help, a copy of it is shown below:

Dear Mr. Cosway,

Your parking badge can be used here in Orlando. You are not required to
obtain a temporary disabled parking pass while you are here.

We look forward to your visit!

OVC Staff/eln
Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau, Inc.
Official Visitors Center
8723 International Dr.
Suite #101
Orlando, Fl 33819
Ph: (407) 363-5872
Fax: (407) 354-0874
info@orlandocvb.com
www.orlandoinfo.com

blott
07-06-2004, 16:03
Ah, so now you know officially that it's OK. I was wavering back there whether I had given the right information!

ujpest doza
07-06-2004, 16:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Ah, so now you know officially that it's OK. I was wavering back there whether I had given the right information!
[/quote]

Yes, but who is right. Orange County visitors centre or Osceola County Sherriff????

I would take my lead from the man with the badge and the gun!!![msnwink]

phaedra
07-06-2004, 18:14
The deputy I spoke to said that my EU badge was perfectly OK.