PDA

View Full Version : What, No Disney! Apr 22 - May 6th

MrEktion
22-05-2004, 06:05
Not sure how long a Trip Report this will turn out to be but finally got a few minutes to write one in between the work hassles and Mrs E. getting me to decorate the dining room. (why do women always expect you to start a major project the week after a relaxing holiday to Florida?)

To explain the title we did a full 14 days in Florida without visiting the Mouse once! This not because we don't like Disney (On the contrary[msnwink]) but we had visited MK, AK, MGM and Epcot ad infinitum on our last visit in September.

So this time it was Universal, IOA and a week at the beach.[msnsmile]

We booked with TCD and took Air Atlanta out from Manchester on the 22nd April. Flight was approx 1 hour late outbound and marred slightly by the guy in front of me having a broken seat which reclined whenever he put any weight on it. Not his fault and unfortunately unfixable in flight so I was lumbered. He was extremely reasonable about it and we muddled through with polite understanding. Movies Ok but not so up to date (2 Weeks Notice and Daredevil), food fine, drinks et al free and service very friendly and attentive. Arrival only 15 minutes late due to very generous timetabling of the flight at 9 hours 20 minutes.

Arrival in Sanford to the worst crowds at Imigration I have ever seen in the US. Every desk was open bar 1 and even though we were one of the first off the plane every queue was back to the wall. They ended up diverting the majority of passengers into a side room until the queues subsided. We were blessed with good luck when a supervisor checked our I-94's and then opened the last desk and started a new queue with us at the front.[msnsmile2] bonus!

We entered into the luggage hall to find a full carousel of our flights luggage but no passengers to claim it as they were all still in immigration. We claimed our luggage and were straight into an empty Dollar office, keys to Dodge Caravan and we were out in 35 minutes from landing, double bonus!!

Our first week was at a villa in Orange Tree (We had stayed here previously for a fortnight in September). Everything was perfect once again and the villa remains a real credit to the owners. We had paid for Pool Heat this time and the main pool was a respectable 87F. The Spa became a balmy 98F within a few minutes of switching on the bubbles, our 2 and half year old son soon had this as his own territory demanding to be put in the 'Warm Pool' as soon as the Patio Doors were opened. We had to run the bubbles for 5 minutes and then let it cool for another 10 just to stop him cooking[msneek].

We decided to spend 2 days at US and 1 at IOA during our first week, this gave us time for my Mum, and Mrs E's Mum and Dad to see US for the first time. Mrs E and I had been several times before but it was great to see the old favourites through first timers eyes again. Big hits with the newbies were Earthquake, Twister, Shrek and Terminator.

Little E got to see Barney again and we spent a good hour letting him run wild in Barney's Forest, including one classic moment when it was quite empty and the Purple One appeared and Little E spent 5 full minutes chasing and hiding with Barney on his own before the other kids realised he was there. For all those that think US has some surly Cast Members I say they definately have one who made our Son's holiday.

We also did 1 day in IOA, mainly because I am the only one who will ride most of the attractions there but we did get some of the Newbies to try Jurassic Park River Ride and Popeye and Bluto, Little E got to do all the Cat in the Hat rides too.

Finally we watched the Sinbad stunt show which is always very impressive. Just outside this attraction is a talking fountain which squirts guests and asks them riddles, Little E was fascinated and kept us there for 20 minutes watching and going up to the fountain without getting soaked unlike many of the other guests. I must add at this time we were all wearing Ponchos as this was the only day in the 2 weeks we had proper rain (ie it lasted most of the day).

The rest our first

MrEktion
22-05-2004, 06:06
Wow that was longer than I expected whats the written equivalent for Verbal Diaorhea?

BTW please excuse my bad spelling.

Mr E.

Newhomebuyer
22-05-2004, 10:21
I love reading trip reports. They always 'take me to Florida' for a few brief moments out of an otherwise work oriented day[8D]
Thanks for taking the time to write.

cameron
22-05-2004, 11:08
What luck you had Mr E at the airport on your arrival.

We never manage to be that lucky.

Good to hear your buggy came off first, it is one of my pet hates when the buggies come off last and your arms can't stand the wait anymore, STRESS[V]

LesleyB
22-05-2004, 11:34
I enjoyed reading your report - Haggar is one of Stu's favourites too (and he's a man who loves to shop!). It's sooo depressing coming back to our lovely weather, but lots of memories to keep you going till your next US holiday.

Lesley

Jules
22-05-2004, 14:35
Great report, sounds like you all had a good holiday. You've made me very jealous, we've not even booked our flights for this year yet as we are not sure when our villa will be ready but i can't wait to go.

Carla
22-05-2004, 15:33
Can I just please add a note of caution with regards to spas and young children. The American Medical Association Paediatrics Board does not recommended that children under 5 use a spa at all. Even a few minutes in a hot spa can cause them damage and their internal organs can become dangerously overheated.

Young children have a higher heart rate than adults, and the hot water in spas raises their heart rate more than it does for adults and increases their blood pressure rate too.

The following people are not recommended to use a spa at all:

children under 5
those with heart disease
diabetes
high or low blood pressure
circulatory or respiratory problems
seizures
epilepsy
pregnant women
those who are using prescribed or illegal drugs or are under the influence of alcohol.

Older children should be in it for no more than 10 minutes and then plenty of time for cooling down should be allowed before they go in again.

Ruth
22-05-2004, 20:54
You are right Carla. The one problem I have with my spa is keeping my children out of it asi it does get far too hot for them;)

MrEktion
23-05-2004, 03:39
Thanks for the warning, having read my post again it makes it sound like we were letting him sit in for 15 minutes at a time with the heat on.

That should of read, bubbles for 5 minutes then cooling down for 10 minutes BEFORE we let him go in [msnsmile2].

I hasten to add the spa at the villa we stay at is oval and approx 8 feet by 4 feet so acts like a small pool for toddlers.

It also was only heated by the bubbles being on and as soon as you knocked them off it recirculated cold (actually pool temperature water) into the spa so after 20 minutes or so the spa was back to pool temperature. We never actually let him in the Spa while the bubbles were on as it got way too hot for most of us adults but the 5 then 10 rule got the spa a few degrees above the pool and allowed him to play in what was the equivalent of a slightly less than bath at home temperature.

Mr E.

MrEktion
23-05-2004, 03:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cameron
What luck you had Mr E at the airport on your arrival.

We never manage to be that lucky.

Good to hear your buggy came off first, it is one of my pet hates when the buggies come off last and your arms can't stand the wait anymore, STRESS[V]
[/quote]

Mine too thats why I mentioned it.[msnsmile2]

We went with TCD in Sept 03 and we had 7 suitcases and a pushchair. The Pushchair was the last item off on the return, 20 minutes after the last of our suitcases arrived. Thats why it was so refreshing for the reverse to happen this time.

Mr E.

Achilles2k
14-06-2004, 01:29
Mr E - thanks for a great report. We are going for our first trip to florida in August. No intention of touching the Mouse while over there - just too much else to do. We are getting the 5 park flexi tickets ad will also be spending some time in the Keys. It is always good to read about other peoples's experiences.

Cheers:D

MrEktion
14-06-2004, 14:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Achilles2k
Mr E - thanks for a great report. We are going for our first trip to florida in August. No intention of touching the Mouse while over there - just too much else to do. We are getting the 5 park flexi tickets ad will also be spending some time in the Keys. It is always good to read about other peoples's experiences.

Cheers:D
[/quote]

Hi Achilles 2K,

Don't get us wrong we love Disney. However as we knew we were going to do 2 trips in 6 months we decided to split the parks up between the trips to make it more relaxing.

We did two weeks in 2000 without visiting any parks at all, just having a beach and touring holiday. We went to the Keys that year too.

Enjoy your trip.

Mr E.

chrizzy100
14-06-2004, 17:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
Can I just please add a note of caution with regards to spas and young children. The American Medical Association Paediatrics Board does not recommended that children under 5 use a spa at all. Even a few minutes in a hot spa can cause them damage and their internal organs can become dangerously overheated.

Young children have a higher heart rate than adults, and the hot water in spas raises their heart rate more than it does for adults and increases their blood pressure rate too.

The following people are not recommended to use a spa at all:

children under 5
those with heart disease
diabetes
high or low blood pressure
circulatory or respiratory problems
seizures
epilepsy
pregnant women
those who are using prescribed or illegal drugs or are under the influence of alcohol.

Older children should be in it for no more than 10 minutes and then plenty of time for cooling down should be allowed before they go in again.
[/quote]

Type 2 diabetes..can be helped by hot tub use....low blood pressure can be very dangerous.....because you can pass out very quickly....but then no-one should use a hot tub alone.......I have high blood pressure but where I use a hot tub most days....I'm fine with it.....you see a lot of Americans spend ages in the tubs because they have one at home.....you should build up your time in a tub slowly not matter what your health......and if you're worried....don't get in......

blott
14-06-2004, 18:57
As far as diabetics are concerned (whether type 1 or 2), they very often have high blood pressure as part of their condition (and a hot tub will increase this) and they may also have coronary heart disease too (whether they know it or not). Also, if they have nerve damage (neuropathy) as a result of their diabetes, they can easily get burned without being able to feel it so very hot water is dangerous for them.

chrizzy100
14-06-2004, 19:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
As far as diabetics are concerned (whether type 1 or 2), they very often have high blood pressure as part of their condition (and a hot tub will increase this) and they may also have coronary heart disease too (whether they know it or not). Also, if they have nerve damage (neuropathy) as a result of their diabetes, they can easily get burned without being able to feel it so very hot water is dangerous for them.
[/quote]

The rule of using a tub is....if you feel dizzy after a few mins in it.....don't use it...no matter what your health.....I use mine for treatment of type 2.....and I have no trouble using it even with high blood pressure......and have done so for 4 years.....type 2 runs in my family....but just because one person can do that....it still may not be safe for others..I should have made that more clear.....[msnsmile2]

blott
14-06-2004, 20:22
Thanks for saying that Chrizzy. :D

It's a whole different ball game doing something yourself and taking a risk (however small or slight that might be and a personal choice) but as owners we have to make sure that we've covered all the angles, dotted the i's and crossed the t's to ensure guest safety and Carla posted the 'official' medical guidelines for safe hot tub use.

chrizzy100
14-06-2004, 20:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Thanks for saying that Chrizzy. :D

It's a whole different ball game doing something yourself and taking a risk (however small or slight that might be and a personal choice) but as owners we have to make sure that we've covered all the angles, dotted the i's and crossed the t's to ensure guest safety and Carla posted the 'official' medical guidelines for safe hot tub use.
[/quote]

Sometimes you forget that its a different ball game when you rent......we have to by law have a sign by our tub.....even in our own unrented house saying who can and can't use it.....but mine has a type 2 use if under doctors orders on it....so I never give it a thought.....