PDA

View Full Version : Flying lessons in Orlando

neilr
22-05-2004, 03:43
I'm very interested in taking flying lessons in Florida. Has anyone been through this experience and has any recommendations.

I plan to do some intial lessons this year (probably over a couple of visits) and more again next year, hopefully culminating in the PPL!!

Any experiences or info would be greatly received.

I do understand that the US has tightened up on who and what you can do during a visit.. for obvious and acceptable reasons.

TIA

Neil

gromit
01-06-2004, 15:44
Hi Neil

Try giving Orlando Flight Training a call on 001 407 518 7766, or at www.flyoft.com. They will give you the information you need, or look at the ads at the back of Pilot mag. It has been a while since I looked into it all, but basically althoug they have tightened things up it isn't impossible. You want to stick to a flying school that can issue a JAA as well as FAA licence so you can use it at home. The FAA website at www.faa.gov might help.

neilr
01-06-2004, 16:54
Cheers Gromit,

Thanks for this.

Have missed the boat now in terms of M1-Visa requirements (My family and I fly out Thursday 3rd June). I may be able to get some initial hours in though as it is not my prime reason for visiting... we'll see.

Neil

gromit
02-06-2004, 15:30
Hi Neil

Hope you have a great holiday. I would have thought there would be nothing to stop you going to get a lesson or two anyway without the visa. I think the restrictions would only apply if you were going to fly solo or do a whole ppl course.

Best wishes

neilr
02-06-2004, 15:43
Hopefully I'll find out...

[8D]

flyrr100
06-06-2004, 17:00
I learned to fly in Texas in the 1980s. I went through a 'conveyor belt' system and ended up with a commercial and CFI in about a year. It took a long time and many years of instructing to make it, but I'm now a captain on a regional jet based in Orlando.
I got my green card in the 80s. It was easier then!

Skillo
02-09-2004, 17:00
I too learned in Texas in the early 90s. Found flying in the USA to be far more fun than in the UK and far cheaper.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-09-2004, 17:53
I find the reverse myself - I've flown in Virginia and Florida in the US and find it a bit uneventful and bland. There is a LOT of land that looks pretty much the same so cross country trips can be a bit dull as there is not much to look out at.

I find the UK really good fun on the other hand as technically it's harder as there is a LOT of complicated airspace in a relatively small area etc etc. Also the scenery is much more interesting with the country dotted with interesting places to see as you pass along your route - good fun dropping off track for a closer look at castles, stately homes etc etc [msnsmile2]

I learnt to fly at Liverpool in the UK.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Skillo
Found flying in the USA to be far more fun than in the UK and far cheaper.
[/quote]

Snapper
02-09-2004, 20:21
I'm going to sound like a real noggin here but what's an M-1 visa. Is it the visa that allows you to remain in the US on a kind of extended study assignment.

Years and years ago when I looked at doing a CPL (I still don't have a PPL mind!!) there was an option to extend to a CFI rating and there was a visa that would allow you to work as a flying instructor for up to a year I think.

In the post 9/11 world is their a visa requirement to study for a PPL as the 4-6 weeks of PPL'ing would be within the time you could remain in the US under the visa waiver programme.

What's the employment market like at the moment for commerical pilots? Are there still far too many pilots chasing far too few seats or are things starting to level out a little?

Steve.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-09-2004, 21:47
Steve

You could do a lot worse that check out the Professional Pilots Rumour Network at www.pprune.org/forums as they have absolutely loads of info on these subjects.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
I'm going to sound like a real noggin here but what's an M-1 visa. Is it the visa that allows you to remain in the US on a kind of extended study assignment.

Years and years ago when I looked at doing a CPL (I still don't have a PPL mind!!) there was an option to extend to a CFI rating and there was a visa that would allow you to work as a flying instructor for up to a year I think.

In the post 9/11 world is their a visa requirement to study for a PPL as the 4-6 weeks of PPL'ing would be within the time you could remain in the US under the visa waiver programme.

What's the employment market like at the moment for commerical pilots? Are there still far too many pilots chasing far too few seats or are things starting to level out a little?

Steve.
[/quote]

Snapper
02-09-2004, 23:00
OMG! Pilots forums as well as Orlando forums. There aren't enough hours in the day!! [msntongue][msntongue]