PDA

View Full Version : What receipts and lease info does the owner give?

caseyd
17-05-2004, 18:28
I have just rented a villa from an individual for the first time (perviously I have used agencies). I have wired the deposit to his U.S. bank account (he is British). I have signed a booking form that lays out the rent, pool heat price, days of occupancy, etc. My question is this: when you all rent your villas, what do you give the rentor in the way of documentation? Do you give a receipt for the deposit? Do you sign the lease form and send them back a copy? So far I have received nothing from the owner except emails; I would at least like a receipt for the deposit. Also, when the final payment is made, what do you give the rentor in the way of documentation then?
Thanks in advance.

jad
17-05-2004, 18:47
Hi CaseyD

Most of my "paperwork" is done by email , including confirmation of receipt of deposit (which confirms booking). Guests just need to print this off if they require a hard copy.
Once the final payment is made I send a letter by post with directions, key instructions etc.

However, if an individual guest requires something more eg requests a physical signed receipt I am happy to oblige.

Jackie

chris c
17-05-2004, 19:01
I send out a receipt for the deposit which gives the arrival/departure dates, the balance due date and the amount of the final balance including refundable bond. I also put a remittance slip at the bottom which is returned with the final balance.
Once I receive the final balance, I send out the address of the property + phone number, contact details for my management company, driving instructions from airport to villa, map showing location of property within the community (Southern Dunes), lock box code and safe code.

blott
17-05-2004, 19:34
Each home owner has their own method (as you've seen above) and there's no 'right' way as we're all individuals!

Some owners put everything into the mail, some email everything, some do it all online. If you want something specific, then ask the home owner to provide this for you.

Normally, when guests book our home, I put all that's going to happen into an email so that they know in advance when to expect a letter, when their payment is due, when to expect the driving directions, etc as I personally think that having the different booking steps set out for them helps guests (they don't seem to have many queries, so I hope so!).

TonyBlenk
18-05-2004, 02:56
Caseyd,
Don't feel dissapointed by the lack of actual paperwork received.
I think that in this day of technology, it's accepted that email communication is not only instantly received, but is a speedier process for villa owners.
If you print out copies of the emails these will be your proof and gurantees.
If you'd prefer something more 'permanent', the owners won't be insulted if you asked for something to be posted snail-mail to you.
Regards,
Tony.

wrpac00
18-05-2004, 21:15
I send a receipt and confirmation letter when I get the deposit and again when I receive the balance and security deposit. I also send out a map of our complex, driving instructions from the airport and what/what not to bring with them.

Paul

pbensur
23-05-2004, 20:19
We've gotten in the habit of doing quite a bit of it by fax, but I still have guests who want it by mail and I'm always happy to do it this way. Like the others have indicated, I send out a confirmation letter after the deposit and booking form are received stating receipt of the amount paid, the arrival and departure dates, and the balance due with the due date. After final payment, I mail them a packet witth a final confirmation letter showing payment in full, entry lockbox code, contact info for th MC, other useful information and maps.

athurstance
23-05-2004, 22:00
Most of the time I do mine by email from taking the booking to confirmation. Sometimes guests ask for things by fax or mail in which case I am happy to oblige. I only send out paper receipts if asked but have no problem doing so.
If you would like things put in writing I would just ask the owner. Most owners are more than willing to be flexible over this kind of thing.

mm69340
24-05-2004, 02:46
After I receive the deposit- I mail them an Invoice with a welcome letter and a brochure.

When I receive the rent- I send about 5 pages with directions and maps and the info for the Villa.

Sharon G
25-05-2004, 03:08
I always give a signed receipt once I have received the deposit along with a written letter of confirmation of the exact dates.

I then send a second receipt after the full balance has been paid along with a welcome pack.

Sharon

chrisj
25-05-2004, 03:29
We have received Email confirmation from the owner that payments have been transferred, and we
have been sending mails back and forth. We also filled in a contract thingy at the start.

The way I see it, its down to trust, the owner doesnt know me from adam, So I and wifey have
sent emails, have even sent piccies of us and they have entrusted their very expensive Villa
to us and we have entrusted our money to them.

Sites like this where the Villa's are verified are the only ones I would use. We are due to get
instructions etc a few weeks before we leave, and we are both happy with the way it is going
and im sure the owners are also happy

Still 60 days to go though :(

mm69340
25-05-2004, 05:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj

have even sent piccies of us and they have entrusted their very

[/quote]

Chris- You are my favorite type of Clients. I have a family from Canada, I have their picture on my email and I email her almost daily now! They went in March and booked next March already,. I also have a client going in August that emailed me when his new baby was born! I was so excited for them- I sent a card!!!!

jad
25-05-2004, 20:54
I must admit I have had some very nice clients that sent me photos of them before they went (they said we were brave enough to put photos of ourselves on our website - which we do) so they thought we would like to see who would be in their home. It was lovely of them and they also sent some of their photos of them in our villa which was wonderful to see too. These type of guests make everything worthwhile[msnsmile2]

Jackie

Silver Dollar
08-07-2004, 03:27
The place I'm renting for, for three months, I got a full 10 page lease agreement signed by me and the landlords which covered just about everything. They were pretty cool too and I didn't need a security deposit, which was handy because it was last minute. It's a nice home and I think I just happened to get lucky. And before anyone asks IF these guys are the owners, YES they are LOLOL

stabard
08-07-2004, 13:06
I have done most of my bookings via e-mail. I always send a receipt and confirmation of booking along with a payment schedule. After receipt of final balance I have a welcome pack with directions, codes and MC details etc. As most other owners have stated I would be happy to oblige with paper copies if requested.

By the time we have emailed back and forth I feel like I have made some new friends along the way.