PDA

View Full Version : 'Jaws' is now obsolete

Nostromo
17-05-2004, 14:09
I went on 'Jaws' for the 5th time on this visit and don't think the ride has changed much in over 10 years. It has started to look pathetic now with the hilariously artificial shark and often forced 'oohs & aahs' of the riders. Everyone knows when and where the shark head is going to pop up and you can clearly see that the white and 'burnt out' props are diffrent. I think it is high time Universal gave Jaws a decent retirement and put something more upto date - maybe even with the same theme - in its place.

tinkerbell
17-05-2004, 14:44
I think it would be really sad if Universal lost Jaws. I think that people associate the original Universal theme park with 'riding the movies' and the loss of Kongfrontation has been a real shame. I'm all for updating the park etc, but I also think it's great to keep some of the original rides there. Universal's rides are classic and ones that I personally could go on again and again without getting bored!

Nostromo
17-05-2004, 15:04
I agree, but the ride needs updating. I am thinking of today's kids and teens who are used to CGI's and I could see that a lot of them were unimpressed when we went on 'Jaws'. I like the old shark too, but as I said before, US could try updating it a bit while keeping the shark theme.

RubAyr
17-05-2004, 17:49
We went on it in March when it was just about dark and it was a lot better than during the day. :)

chrizzy100
17-05-2004, 18:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell
I think it would be really sad if Universal lost Jaws. I think that people associate the original Universal theme park with 'riding the movies' and the loss of Kongfrontation has been a real shame. I'm all for updating the park etc, but I also think it's great to keep some of the original rides there. Universal's rides are classic and ones that I personally could go on again and again without getting bored!
[/quote]

Kong is a big loss...even more so if again The Mummy turns out to be a ride we can't use as a family......I'm getting so fed up of getting on rides with people with young kids who cry or scream from begining to end.....that happened a few times on Spiderman..........am I just unlucky or what.....
:(:(

Ruth
18-05-2004, 02:24
I have to agree that Jaws is now very dated and something needs to be done with it. I hope they would improve it rather than s[bad language filtered out] it though;)

caroline
18-05-2004, 02:25
Ruth was only trying to say "s c r a p" - nothing really bad!

Ruth
18-05-2004, 02:56
LOL thanks Caroline, you are correct:D:D

zerotone
18-05-2004, 11:29
I have to agree with Chrizzy. My son aged 8 absolutely loves Jaws although he has never seen the film. I am getting more and more fed up with all the new rides having to be thrill rides as opposed to good old fashioned themed rides. I suffer quite badly from motion sickness, and much to my hubbys dissappointment our son is still too scared to go on any roller coaster rides.
So what I am really saying is, If they have to replace old rides could they not put in another thrill ride in its place.

Jane

Carla
18-05-2004, 13:12
Apart from Back to the Future, I can go on every ride in Universal Studios. I'd also be really sad to see more thrill rides. I love riding the movies. I'm hoping that because IoA is so full of coasters and thrills etc. that they keep Universal as it is - a fun park where even those with motion sickness (me too Jane!!) can get full value for their entrance money!!

zerotone
18-05-2004, 19:50
why do my postings keep going on twice? What am I doing wrong?

Jane

chrizzy100
18-05-2004, 20:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
Apart from Back to the Future, I can go on every ride in Universal Studios. I'd also be really sad to see more thrill rides. I love riding the movies. I'm hoping that because IoA is so full of coasters and thrills etc. that they keep Universal as it is - a fun park where even those with motion sickness (me too Jane!!) can get full value for their entrance money!!
[/quote]

I love Back to the Future......I can do that one time and time again even with my bad back......I'm hoping to be able to do The Mummy.....I have done Space Mountain.....the only reason I never liked that much is I felt unsafe ..I love the long water drops.....but I can't get my family on them.....:(

Nostromo
18-05-2004, 21:12
When I said 'updating' I did not mean that 'Jaws' should be turned into a rollercoaster! (Whoever has heard of a shark riding a rollercoaster, anyway?). What I meant was that the ride needs to be updated in tems of audio-animatronics while keeping the same 'shark movie' theme, thus making it more realistic. I am a 'Jaws' movie fan too and it hurts me to see today's smart alec teenagers poking fun at the white shark visible underwater while the other one pops up etc.

tinkerbell
18-05-2004, 21:57
They probably feel the same way about Jaws as I did at 13 seeing 20,000 leagues under the sea at MK! What a joke that was! Surprised to see it still there in all it's glory last visit on my way to Toon Town. they have simply removed the subs and left it as a 'lake'! You can see the track under the water though, wonder if that plastic mermaid is still there...!

Sharon G
21-05-2004, 01:10
Jaws was about one of the only rides my 73 year old mum would go on[msneek][msneek][msneek]
She's been to Florida now about 8 times and it's her favourite ride!!! (I told her it's the only ride she goes on!!)[msnscared]
Anyway when we were last at US in April last year even my mum said the shark was looking "long in the tooth"[msnembarrased]

Sharon

Big Keith
21-05-2004, 16:17
I like the Jaws ride and although it is a bit dated, there is still room for some of the older more "cheesy" rides amongst all the hi-tech stuff. I probably have a soft spot for Jaws as the shark broke down in mid-ride with it half sticking out of the water, mouth open and the lady boat guide was desperately trying to make it appear to those riding as this was a deliberate part of the ride. She soon realised her (even more) fake screams and attempts to shoot the shark with her gun were not having the desired effect on her audience so gave up the act and was muttering away to herself about "this is the third time this has happened to me" (along with a few expletives).

[msnwink]

pigletsplace2003
08-06-2004, 02:33
Your not saying KONG has gone , i know it was cheesy but great fun , tell me its not true [msncry]

ujpest doza
08-06-2004, 13:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pigletsplace2003
Your not saying KONG has gone , i know it was cheesy but great fun , tell me its not true [msncry]
[/quote]

The Mummy is now where Kong used to be.