PDA

View Full Version : uk spec multi region dvd player

wilfy
15-05-2004, 19:04
If anyone is looking for a cheap 'n cheerful multi region dvd player for uk home use. Somerfield have a dvd player on sale at the moment that comes multi region ready for £28.99. We bought one a couple of days ago to put into one of our bedrooms and it play's USA (region 1) dvd's with no problems.
(There is a hack easily found via google if this doesn't work first time you come to try it.)

chrisj
16-05-2004, 00:11
You can also ring the manufacturers of most DVD's and they will give you the cheat codes, thats
what ive done with all the dvd's we have bought

pieman6
17-05-2004, 02:26
Maybe a stupid question but will a Region 1 player play all discs from around the world? If not do most american DVD player become hackable? I know region 2 will play 2 and 4.

chrisj
17-05-2004, 13:24
The majority of DVD players are 'Hackable'.

wilfy
17-05-2004, 17:11
Never tried it on a US spec machine, albeit what chrisj says is probably true.

chrizzy100
17-05-2004, 18:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman6
Maybe a stupid question but will a Region 1 player play all discs from around the world? If not do most american DVD player become hackable? I know region 2 will play 2 and 4.
[/quote]

I find some films on DVD in the States are still cut...case in point the Austin Powers films......we saw one in England ......in full...but on DVD in the USA some parts were in the out takes.......we found out this is because it was how it was shown in the US.....

Nostromo
22-06-2004, 18:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman6
[/quote]

I asked this question to an American friend and he thought probably not. Since almost all movies are released in the USA first and are usually cheaper, I suppose they don't need to bother buying R2 DVDs.

Some Aussie R4 DVDs say 'Regions 2 & 4' on the back cover. DVD sets like Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones etc are ofter considerably cheaper in Australia, even taking the reasonable shipping fee into account.

wilfy
22-06-2004, 19:54
Bet the Bollywood films are not released in the us first. :)

Ray&Sarah
22-06-2004, 20:18
Our son bought a portable DVD player in the US last Christmas and they set it to region code 0 for him and it plays both UK and US DVD's.

Nostromo
22-06-2004, 21:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wilfy
Bet the Bollywood films are not released in the us first. :)
[/quote]

No, they usually are. I should know, as I am Indian! One of the biggest Bollywood DVD dealer in London admits that the DVDs often arrive from the US. Also, my wife and I usually get to know of interesting titles (few and far between) from our American relatives.

wilfy
23-06-2004, 12:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
No, they usually are. I should know, as I am Indian! One of the biggest Bollywood DVD dealer in London admits that the DVDs often arrive from the US. Also, my wife and I usually get to know of interesting titles (few and far between) from our American relatives.
[/quote]

you learn something new everyday. :)