PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Business to get a Visa

Chris7
14-05-2004, 17:34
My latest E&M is advertising 2 seperate businesses for sale in Orlando (an Ice Cream Parlour and an Inflatables Manufacturer) specifically positioned as being eligable for a Visa.

It's the first time I've seen a business marketed so overtly as being 'visa eligable', otherwise why would they advertise a USA business in a UK mag

What business would you buy to get into the USA[?]

blott
14-05-2004, 18:54
Something that you're happy to do for the rest of your life is number one priority I would think! Lots of these businesses sound really interesting on paper (I mean, inflatables manufacturer sounds quite interesting doesn't it?) until it sinks in that would be your life from then onwards and you find that you totally hate it or are bored to tears.

steph_goodrum
14-05-2004, 19:09
Blott
I was thinking about the E2 the other day and the fact that you can't sell the business but presumably you can build it up (hopefully ) to a level where you have staff running it and so wouldnt need to be so hands on, that would still qualify you to stay wouldn't it? Not that we'll ever be in that position - having never run a business here we aren't about to start one but just wondered and couldnt see any reason why it wouldnt be allowed.

Chris7
14-05-2004, 19:24
Wouldn't it be even easier to build a business up to a level where staff run it here (in the UK) and then go and open an office in the USA on an L visa.

I know the UK business has to keep running, but I was told that L visas are viewed more lieniently as to refuse one could be viewed as being anti-competative.

Also, I think you can apply for residency after about 3 years on an L visa (they have a max life of 7 years) which might not be so easy on E2 (although I can't really say I've looked into it ;))

BTW the Inflatables business looks good fun - anyone interested can PM me for the website or spend 30p and buy E&M :D

chrizzy100
14-05-2004, 19:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Chris7
Wouldn't it be even easier to build a business up to a level where staff run it here (in the UK) and then go and open an office in the USA on an L visa.

I know the UK business has to keep running, but I was told that L visas are viewed more lieniently as to refuse one could be viewed as being anti-competative.

Also, I think you can apply for residency after about 3 years on an L visa (they have a max life of 7 years) which might not be so easy on E2 (although I can't really say I've looked into it ;))

BTW the Inflatables business looks good fun - anyone interested can PM me for the website or spend 30p and buy E&M :D
[/quote]

The Inflatables we're talking about are pool toys I take it.....??..[msnwink][msnwink]

blott
14-05-2004, 19:37
Sounds more like S&M! :D

No, Steph, nothing to stop you building something up so that you're just the head of it and it's run by staff but that's going to take some time I would think. As long as the business is still turning over the right amount of owner benefit and you still own it, your E2 would be safe. However, having said that, getting reliable staff to trust to do this is something of a nightmare I gather.

Chris' suggestion is a better long term one really but I think I'm right in saying that the review period for an L1/2 is one year (E2 is usually either 2 or 5 years).

chrizzy100
14-05-2004, 19:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Blott
I was thinking about the E2 the other day and the fact that you can't sell the business but presumably you can build it up (hopefully ) to a level where you have staff running it and so wouldnt need to be so hands on, that would still qualify you to stay wouldn't it? Not that we'll ever be in that position - having never run a business here we aren't about to start one but just wondered and couldnt see any reason why it wouldnt be allowed.
[/quote]

It would take a lot of trust to leave your life in the hands of staff.....I'd have to be hands on all the time....a lot of the businesses being sold look like they just about keep one family afloat.....(back to the Inflatables again)...I'd want my kids to work towards getting greencards in their own right.... and the cost of collage and healthcare eats away at money like nobodies business....putting your money into your kids may be the best way of getting greencards in the end......

I've watched people have to leave everything here and go home because of job loss.....some visas give you only 10 days to leave the USA.....

I don't know what business I would look into.....a shop....its the thing I know best.......next to home care.......

Chris7
14-05-2004, 20:54
For the record, the inflatables are the sort of giant slides and dummies used on "It's a Knockout" - which may not mean anything to you Chrizzy unless you are of a certain age and were in the UK at the time:)

They do claim to be able to make anything inflatable from all types of latex and rubber so who knows the full extent of their catalogue[:I];)

They are on Hoagland Blvd in Kissimmee so some of you must know where that is!

chrizzy100
14-05-2004, 21:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Chris7
For the record, the inflatables are the sort of giant slides and dummies used on "It's a Knockout" - which may not mean anything to you Chrizzy unless you are of a certain age and were in the UK at the time:)

They do claim to be able to make anything inflatable from all types of latex and rubber so who knows the full extent of their catalogue[:I];)

They are on Hoagland Blvd in Kissimmee so some of you must know where that is!
[/quote]

I remember Its a Knockout......so I must be that certain age......[msncry][msncry]

But then I only left the UK 4 years ago......so I think I just saw the reruns......LOL!

blott
14-05-2004, 21:46
We're off there tomorrow (:D) so I'll check out the inflatables place although I have to admit we often go along Hoagland and I don't remember noticing it... Is it on north Hoagland by any chance?

chrizzy100
14-05-2004, 22:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
We're off there tomorrow (:D) so I'll check out the inflatables place although I have to admit we often go along Hoagland and I don't remember noticing it... Is it on north Hoagland by any chance?
[/quote]

We leave next Thursday.......I've already spent $2k....and I've not even go off the plane yet......or on it for that matter.......[msneek]

Chris7
14-05-2004, 22:03
Yes it is - I missed that in my copy & paste - It's number 51

blott
14-05-2004, 22:05
OK, any requests? :D

chrizzy100
14-05-2004, 22:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
OK, any requests? :D
[/quote]

Can you Play.....'The pianos on my foot'........:D:D:D

blott
14-05-2004, 22:41
I was thinking more along the lines of, er, inflatables actually! :D

Chris7
14-05-2004, 22:58
The Dragon Castle obsticle course looks good if it packs down into a suitcase (I wonder where they got the idea for that from;))

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Chris7/2004514185843_obs_x-dragon.jpg