PDA

View Full Version : What to do when rental is a pit?

Maitland
11-05-2004, 00:42
We have rented 8 villas in the past 5 years, and have only encountered minor problems until now. What do you do when a rental is such a pit that you feel uncomfortable staying in it? We are not in a position to write off $2K+ as the cost of learning a lesson in where not to rent, but it's obvious that the owner will do nothing about any of the problems.

So far we have laundered all linens, washed all dishes & utensils, Lysoled and cleaned bathrooms, etc. We wear socks, sandals or shoes inside to avoid walking on the nasty floors. Flip-flops are required in the showers, which are black with mold and mildew on the grout, and mold thrives in other areas as well. Previous residents have ground food into the carpets, stained the carpets (including closet corners - UGH) and left behind damage everywhere. If this was our first time renting, we would never rent again. The owner blames the management company as well as previous tenants, but takes no action.

Aside from departing early, which we will certainly do, what other action would you take?

Carla
11-05-2004, 01:06
I am so very sorry to hear that you are having such an awful experience. The only plus side is that you know that this is very definitely not the norm.

If I were a guest in your unhappy situation I would do the following:

1. Take as many photos, especially closeups as you can. If you have to do steps 8 & 9, then you will need these, otherwise you will have problems proving your case.
2. Phone the owner and tell him/her that you expect the villa to be put right in X number of hours.
3. Tell him/her that if the problem is not rectified to your satisfaction within X number of hours, that you will be leaving to move to somewhere else.
4. Phone the Management Company and tell them the same as you have told the owner.
5. Hopefully this will resolve the situation, quickly.

If not
6. Tell both MC and owner that if you are forced to move somewhere else, you will keep all receipts etc. and will automatically expect that they refund you any and all monies that you are out of pocket PLUS extra for wasted holiday time.
7. Hopefully this will resolve the situation, quickly.

If not
8. Leave the villa for alternative accomodation.
9. Inform both owner and MC that you are leaving this villa as of (TIME and DATE) and will be taking them to court on your return to the UK and will be claiming a FULL refund plus compensation for your entire vacation.

LOG the DATE, TIME and LENGTH of every phone conversation and the name of the person that you are talking to.

I wish you all the very best and hope that this situaton is resolved to your satisfaction as speedily as possible.

huckleberry house
11-05-2004, 01:32
Hello Maitland

I take it from the user name that you are from America, it doesnt say in your profile.It certainly sounds as if you are having a rough time,which I hasten to add is unusual for a rental Villa.How long were you due to stay at the home for ? Can you also clarify as this is your first post on this forum that has rental villas associated with it whether the home you are staying in was booked through this site ? and have you spoken to the management company as well as the owner?

Lesley

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-05-2004, 02:10
If it is through this site I'd like to know who the owner is.

Maitland
11-05-2004, 02:51
In reply to the questions asked, yes we're from the US. I agree that our experience is not the norm which I tried to state in my first post. While we've had minor problems in the past, the owner &/or management company has always been responsive. We did not book through the firms linked to this site, but I found this site when doing a google search on the owner's name (someone else had asked a question about his properties.) We booked directly with the owner and wired the funds to him. Our stay was supposed to be for one week, but will certainly be much shorter under the circumstances. If we could move to another house in Formosa Gardens, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

I called the local mgt. company but have never received a reply or a visit from them. A maid came, but there wasn't much she could do. The owner, whom I've emailed, blames the management company and previous tenants, then says he's sure that we'll have a lovely stay.

Taking photos is a good idea. I feel dumb for not thinking of doing that earlier. Right now I am too sleep deprived to think clearly. My children do not want to leave. They dislike the house but hate seeing me upset more than they hate the nasty conditions. My husband does not want our time in Florida disrupted by people steam cleaning the carpets or treating the showers for mildew while we're in residence. He thinks it's unlikely that we could find a replacement rental for the balance of our visit.

agod
11-05-2004, 03:02
Hi Maitland

Is this villa in Formosa? I have one there and would offer you mine, to get you out of that place, it sounds dreadful, and I am suere not the norm, if its a british owner, I am sure we will all feel bad about this, how many days have you left?

Alan

huckleberry house
11-05-2004, 03:25
Hi Maitland

I have a feeling I can remember the post you could be referring to.

If you are not prepared to have a cleaner in to attend to the problems and the maid wasnt able to do anything (not sure why not) then you only have two choices, to either stay and accept the home as it is or leave and find another home,it appears that Alan can help you if you choose that route.Getting a refund may be difficult though if you are not willing to let the owner put the problems right by sending in a cleaner.Will you have any days away at the parks so disruption will be minimal to you during your vacation?

Lesley

stavros47
11-05-2004, 12:44
I can't understand the owner just blaming the management company and then taking no action. If it were us after we would be having a lot of stern words with the management coompany and looking for a new one.

The up keep of the villa is the management companies most important job as well as dealing with any grievences. As owners we rely on the management company heavily with regards to the upkeep of the villa. It is hard to do anything if you live in th UK. But I can't believe they are not trying to sort things out for you.

Hope everything gets resolved quickly and it does'nt taint you view of renting villa in the future.

janny
11-05-2004, 13:28
I can only reiterate what the others have already said that this is not the norm with rental homes - not that it help you in your present situation -but it may help alleviate your fears should you decide to go this route again.
Carla has given you great advice and I would act upon it as soon as I could if I were you although as Lesley says time could be given to allow the problems to be corrected but as you only have a week you may end up wasting most of your vacation.

If you found this site by searching for the owners name does that mean they are an owner on here as well ? In which case could something be done John ?

huckleberry house
11-05-2004, 14:42
If its the thread I am thinking of then they do not advertise on here.

Lesley

Maitland
11-05-2004, 17:01
Thank you, everyone, for your kindness. I am a bit calmer now. Alan, you have an amazing house (I looked it up last night) but we are not in a position to pay for a second rental this week. Not only are we in the middle of building a house back in our current home state, but we will have two in college in just a few months. Perhaps when our budget recovers we can make plans to visit. Thank you for your offer.

It seems that the issue of whether or not my husband would want carpet cleaning, or any other major work done, is a moot point. I was informed yesterday that the owner has never had the carpets here professionally cleaned (no surprise) and likely will not. It seems he is indeed the exception and chooses not to spend money on his properties, other than for the most basic services.

Someone asked why the regular maid service was unable to deal with the cleaning. The mold and mildew problems go beyond what could be treated with a quick spray & wipe. There are places where it appears that clear caulk was applied over the black growth, too. The maid who came sprayed the showers with some sort of cleaner which had little effect. I've also cleaned and Lysoled them, but we continue to wear flip-flops in the shower as well as shoes or socks everywhere else inside. The maid also vacuumed the worst room, but we've since found that the food crumbs were under the furniture as well. As you can imagine, there's a roach problem here, too. My husband and I had to change bedrooms last night after fumigating the adjacent bathroom due to roaches. Most cleaning services (at least in my experience at home) tend to vacuum the main portion of a room and do not generally use crevice attachments to clean the edges and corners, nor do they usually move furniture to clean, so a lot of food crumbs can be left behind.

I did take some photos,thanks to your advice, if only to help prove that these were pre-existing conditions and we did not treat the house this way. Until the roaches appeared my children were resisting the idea of an early departure. Now I think we'll just pack up and head home before the end of the week.

The next time we visit, if Alan's house is not available, we will surely check the other properties linked to this site. I just wish I'd found y'all sooner.

huckleberry house
11-05-2004, 17:14
Hi Maitland

Wow it sounds even worse than it did earlier.I am so sorry you have had such an experience,cleaning standards in general are very much higher, I know for sure that my furniture is moved each time it is vaccuumed and I am for ever having carpets cleaned,it spoils a home so much if they look dirty (mine are almost white and it doesnt take long for marks to show)

I can only hope it hasnt spoilt your childrens vacation too much :(

Lesley

hamptonlakes
11-05-2004, 18:17
I amsorry to hear what has happen to you vacation and as a owner i would be so mad if home was left dirty in this why, i often wonder and double check with my Management Company when guests are due to leave and arrive to make sure the house is cleaned and also that it is not left dirty if i dont have guests in straight after.

I feel that we should appologise for this owner because he does not seem to get that his villa must be look after and maintained well and i personally pride myself on a clean and well maintained villa as do most owners.

I hope in the future you look up the orlando villa group of websites www.orlandovillas.com www.villasflorida.com and www.onlinefloridavillas.com and find a perfect and CLEAN home for your next vacation.

Good luck and please keep us informed of the out come of you complaint and to see if it is resolved.

blott
11-05-2004, 19:38
Ugh! You poor things! I've never heard of a home owner who didn't care about their home or their guests before so I think you can take it that they're a pretty rare breed but unfortunately you've managed to find one.

Our home is always spotless without any crumbs hidden away anywhere (I've checked!), all the corners are cleaned and there's no mould (mold) anywhere. Food crumbs lead to pest problems and roaches should be sorted out with regular pest control anyway if they should occur. Pale carpets are a problem but having them cleaned regularly can get over any of the stain problems very easily as soon as they occur or, at the very least, spot cleaning can be carried out.

It sounds to me as if the spray and wipe has been neglected for some time and that, as the owner doesn't care to spend any money on his investment, then no-one else can be bothered about it either.

I'm so sorry that this has obviously ruined your vacation and I do hope it hasn't put you off returning to Florida where the vast majority of homes are very well cared for as well as our guests.

shazbat
11-05-2004, 20:22
Hi Maitland,
what an awful thing to have happen--I can only re-iterate what all the others have said--this is a very rare occurance and is really not acceptable--stick to your guns and try to get a refund of your money-Owners that dont take pride in their properties are letting ALL owners down not to mention the guest!--Hope it hasn't totally spoilt your vacation.
Shazbat.

agod
11-05-2004, 23:19
Dear Maitland

I have just had renters leave, on the 11th and my next guests are in on the 15th, I would like to offer you my home for those nights, at no cost, just pick up the cleaning tab, at the end.

In the spirit of Britishness and our alliance with our American friends, for our love of all things American, we will not let the side down by this lone rogue, and has put all British villa owners to shame.

Alan

jad
11-05-2004, 23:42
I am absolutely astounded that the Management Company will not take immediate action. That is what they are paid to do and if immediate maintenance is required they should be there.
It does sound very bad and I don't think I (or would let my children) stay in a villa with a roach problem. You must take action in some way, firstly get all the evidence so you can follow this through after your vacation. Then please salvage your vacation by staying in a place that you feel comfortable in and try and enjoy the rest of your time there.
As we have all said most of us take every pride in our villa - this sounds like an unusual case of an owner not caring at all.

Jackie

Carla
11-05-2004, 23:49
That's a wonderful offer Alan.:D:D:D

Jackie, don't automatically blame the MC. If the owner won't pay for whatever needs doing, when it needs doing, then the MC aren't going to do it. If they do do anything to the home, then chances are that they won't get paid for it by the owner.

Cowboy
12-05-2004, 00:09
I take my hat off to you, Alan[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]both for your offer and also the content of your reply.
Mike.

jad
12-05-2004, 00:10
Fair point Carla - in which case the MC should ditch this owner as it is not doing their reputation any good either.

Jackie

Maitland
12-05-2004, 01:10
Dear Alan,

I am absolutely flabbergasted (I think y'all say "gobsmacked" ?) at your generous and thoughtful offer. Thank you very much. I will try to contact you directly to make arrangements. My son and daughter are thrilled beyond words.

Regards,

Maitland

mm69340
12-05-2004, 01:48
I have to say- This is the True Forum at work!!!

Alan- what a way to save the day!

Karen

huckleberry house
12-05-2004, 01:53
Alan

Congratulations and well done for a very generous offer, Maitland I am so pleased for you, I was worried that you may have left already and have missed Alans offer,three cheers for Alan:D:D:D

Lesley

Maitland
12-05-2004, 02:07
Now I have a dumb question - what is the time difference between Orlando and the UK? I replied to Alan via email & private message, but then it occurred to me that he may have already retired for the evening. I don't want to telephone and wake him if it's midnight there, but we are all eager to make contact. Thanks again - y'all have been so helpful and kind.

Maitland

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-05-2004, 02:10
The UK is 5 hours ahead of Florida - it's 10pm at the moment.

caroline
12-05-2004, 02:10
Hi Maitland it's 10 past 10 in the evening here - I'm sure Alan won't mind a phone call in the next 30 minutes or so:)

huckleberry house
12-05-2004, 02:19
Alans on the forum now so I am sure he will be here in a minute :D

Lesley

agod
12-05-2004, 02:40
Hi everyone

I was away for a break from all this typing!

Your be happy to know that Maitland will be over in my place, as soon as MCs cleaned it in a couple of hours, luckily they were on site so they can let them in tonight, lets hope these last few days will be much better.

Thank you all for your kind comments, but I really felt this owner let us all down by his filthy home.

Alan

Ruth
12-05-2004, 02:57
Well done Alan, what a fantastic offer and thanks for showing Maitland on behalf of us all how a decent owner behaves:)

fiona
12-05-2004, 03:15
Congrats Alan that is a really generous gesture. Maitland I am sure you and your family will enjoy the rest of your holiday, and so sorry to hear you have had any problems.

caroline
12-05-2004, 03:42
:)What a really generous and kind gesture you have made Alan.

agod
12-05-2004, 03:52
Thank you all

But by back is beginning to hurt from all these pats its getting.

(Ilove it really)

Alan

Maitland
12-05-2004, 07:10
I cannot begin to tell you how overwhelmed my family is by the magnificent gesture that Alan has made. What a simply wonderful, kind thing to do. I feel as if I've been rescued by a Knight in shining armour.

Since arriving at Alan's amazing house this evening I have nearly had the stuffings hugged out of me by my children. Especially pleased is my son, who just graduated from high school and for whom this trip was planned as a celebration. Just imagine repeated bear hugs by a 6'4" teenage boy. He has already asked if we might rent this house for a visit next year.

The lovely folks whose management company cares for Alan's house were so very kind to put everything in apple pie order for our arrival. It is clear that they take great pride in their work and are proud of their association with this beautiful property. They should make a great success of their business with their talents, skills and great attitudes.

We attempted to leave the other house in better condition than when we arrived, with the obvious exception of the bed linens requiring washing. I managed to wash & dry a large load of towels, run the dishwasher, and generally tidy up before leaving. Perhaps both the owner and the MC will be shocked into taking appropriate action by our early departure and give that sad house some much needed care. But for the remainder of this week I do not want to think of it again, and instead will just enjoy the lovely surroundings here.

Alan, may God bless you for your kind and generous heart.

mr flibble
12-05-2004, 17:09
Hi:)
I love a happy ending[msncry]:D
Well done Alan !!!!
Treat others as you would want them to treat you
Ian:D

poet123
12-05-2004, 18:52
Alan,
How much more has that gesture done for international relations than all the political speeches full of empty words?:D:D:D

sunseeker
13-05-2004, 17:33
Alan, your a real diamond, what a fantastic thing to do. If everybody could act in the way you just did, what a lovely world we would be living in.

Dave

agod
13-05-2004, 18:07
I am a great beleiver of what goes around comes around, though it hasnt this year, I have just had to put down, one of my cats after 17 years, and have just learnt this morning, that my tabby of 18 years, has also got a tumour, and will only be around another couple of weeks, also you dont want to know about the other tragedies in our lives, My heart has always ruled my head, and I am a lousy business man, as I am always getting stitched up in one way or another, not very tough at all.

I think it is always better to give than to receive, and this proves it, I suspect most of you here would have done exactly the same thing.

Thanks Again

Alan

chrizzy100
13-05-2004, 18:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by agod
I am a great beleiver of what goes around comes around, though it hasnt this year, I have just had to put down, one of my cats after 17 years, and have just learnt this morning, that my tabby of 18 years, has also got a tumour, and will only be around another couple of weeks, also you dont want to know about the other tragedies in our lives, My heart has always ruled my head, and I am a lousy business man, as I am always getting stitched up in one way or another, not very tough at all.

I think it is always better to give than to receive, and this proves it, I suspect most of you here would have done exactly the same thing.

Thanks Again

Alan
[/quote]

I've offord my home to a sick neighbour to winter in......I'm not sure if he'll take me up on it......but it was nice to be able to make the offer....when my husband lost his job.....one of my other neighbours with a home in FL where we were going to move to..offord us the free use of his condo till our house was built......so I'm just.....Paying It Forward.......

zerotone
14-05-2004, 02:38
Alan you are certainly living up to your user name:). Well done. Reading all the above postings brought a tear to my eye.

Jane

Lyn
14-05-2004, 02:44
It was really nice nice to read all this taking place, when you read the papers you only seem to hear what horrible things people can do to each other, nice gestures just don't seem to make the news.

I truly believe that most people live by the rule 'do as you would be done by', not all though or the original Villa owner would not have expected anyone to stay in his villa (unless this is how he normally lives!!)

agod
14-05-2004, 03:22
Hi Zerotone

I will tell you a funny story about that, when AOL first started over here, I think it was about 1995, you put in your name Alan GOdfrey, and they came back with me with the username and e.mail address of agod@aol.com.
I was online one night in one of the chatrooms, talking to the Americans, who thought it was real neat to have some English guy on there, when up pops a username of JChrist. quick as a flash, I send him a message "how are you son"

No he didnt get it, his name was James Christianson from California, and AOL had done to him what they had done to me.

Alan

Ray&Sarah
14-05-2004, 03:39
Alan, LOL! and wanted to add our pat on the back to you for your wonderful gesture to Maitland and her family. :)

agod
14-05-2004, 05:13
this is a ghost posting to see if I get my 3rd star

ctgirlscout
14-05-2004, 06:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by agod
this is a ghost posting to see if I get my 3rd star
[/quote]

Looks like you got it. Congrats!

agod
14-05-2004, 10:46
I am now a General

sunseeker
14-05-2004, 22:52
congratulations Alan, i just got my second :D:D:D

Dave

agod
25-06-2004, 20:07
Makes you a Major

SunLover
25-06-2004, 23:00
Alan

This kind of generosity and thoughtfulness makes us both proud to be members of such a caring forum and owner's group.

Well done :D:D:D

agod
26-06-2004, 01:05
Thank you for your kind words.

I think there would have been many of us who would have done the same thing, it's our sense of British fair play sort of thing.

Regards
ALan

Cruella DeVilla
26-06-2004, 18:25
Alan,
You know I love your villa! That was such a great thing to do, made me feel weepy when I read the gratitude from the family!!!
Nice one.

Cruella DeVilla
26-06-2004, 18:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Maitland
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"></span id="Comic Sans MS">

We have rented 8 villas in the past 5 years, and have only encountered minor problems until now. What do you do when a rental is such a pit that you feel uncomfortable staying in it? We are not in a position to write off $2K+ as the cost of learning a lesson in where not to rent, but it's obvious that the owner will do nothing about any of the problems.

So far we have laundered all linens, washed all dishes & utensils, Lysoled and cleaned bathrooms, etc. We wear socks, sandals or shoes inside to avoid walking on the nasty floors. Flip-flops are required in the showers, which are black with mold and mildew on the grout, and mold thrives in other areas as well. Previous residents have ground food into the carpets, stained the carpets (including closet corners - UGH) and left behind damage everywhere. If this was our first time renting, we would never rent again. The owner blames the management company as well as previous tenants, but takes no action.

Aside from departing early, which we will certainly do, what other action would you take?
[/quote]

Could you advise where you found the guy or does he have a website?
CDV

agod
26-06-2004, 22:05
Hi Cruella

I am not sure what you are asking, do you want to know who it was and which house? or are you askig about my management comapny.

Alan

agod
26-06-2004, 22:31
Hi again

I just want to mention, that the other day we received a parcel from Maitland and her family.

It was full of lovely southern food, Grtits, and Corn bread, and all things Dixie, she must know how I love my grub, and we are very grateful her her king gesture.

Alan

Magical Dreams
26-06-2004, 23:17
I must say that I am sat at my PC crying at all the great things that had been said and done!!

Alan, you are a great Ambassador for the Villa owners on this forum, Hopefully your kindness will be repaid one day 10 fold..

stabard
26-06-2004, 23:26
Here Here

Sharon G
27-06-2004, 00:10
Only just read this thread and think your a truly nice bloke Alan.

As others have said it's been really nice to hear a bad story have a happy ending..........
.............that lady and her family will never forget what you've done for them and neither will I, come to think of it!!

[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Sharon

agod
27-06-2004, 02:18
Thanks Sharon

I also love cats, can cook very well, do the ironing, change babies nappies, cry during Sleepless in Seattle, got loads of money, and drive a big red sports car!!
What you doing tomorrow night[msnwink][msnwink]

Alan

titansfan
03-07-2004, 07:06
Could someone please e-mail me the name of the owner that is in question. After reading this I am now concerned as we are leaving in 2 weeks for Orlando and rented a house from an owner whose name I saw mentioned in a thread not long ago. Might be able to ease concerns if it not the same one.

Thanks

huckleberry house
03-07-2004, 10:01
Hi Titansfan
The chances are that it wont be the same owner as they dont use this forum or any of the associated villa websites. If you would like to DM me the name of the owner of the house you were renting then hopefully I will be able to put your mind at rest.

Cheers, Lesley

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-07-2004, 12:49
If you DM me the name of the owner concerned I can tell you if they advertise with us and hopefully reassure you. If it's one of the villas on our site then we personally verify they are all privately owned by who the advert says owns them and that they do exist.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by titansfan
Could someone please e-mail me the name of the owner that is in question. After reading this I am now concerned as we are leaving in 2 weeks for Orlando and rented a house from an owner whose name I saw mentioned in a thread not long ago. Might be able to ease concerns if it not the same one.

Thanks
[/quote]

traceya89
11-08-2004, 23:30
I HAVE ALWAYS STAYED IN A CLEAN VILLA AND THE MC HAVE ALWAYS RESPONDED TO ANY QUERIES I HAD OR WERE STRAIGHT THERE IS I REQUIRED POOL HEATING OR ANY QUERIES.

HOW OLD ARE THE VILLAS ON FROMOSA. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE QUITE NEW AND CANT BELIEVE THE PROBLEMS THAT MAITLAND HAS HAD.

linda.s
12-08-2004, 01:22
First time I read this thread, and it bought a lump to my throat - Well done Alan, it was a wonderful thing you did, and you certainly made the family very happy - hats off to you!

caroline
12-08-2004, 01:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by traceya89
I HAVE ALWAYS STAYED IN A CLEAN VILLA AND THE MC HAVE ALWAYS RESPONDED TO ANY QUERIES I HAD OR WERE STRAIGHT THERE IS I REQUIRED POOL HEATING OR ANY QUERIES.

HOW OLD ARE THE VILLAS ON FROMOSA. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE QUITE NEW AND CANT BELIEVE THE PROBLEMS THAT MAITLAND HAS HAD.

[/quote]

Not sure of theexact age of Formosa, but we lookedround the models there in June 2000 and there were quite a few already built then.

agod
12-08-2004, 02:49
I think phase 1 was started in 1998, by American Heritige Homes,I have a ariel shot of the place at that time, and there was a couple of big houses there then, they where taken over by KB homes when we put our money down in January 2003, who the built phase 2 using American Heritage Plans,So its getting on for 6 years of age.

Maitland actually e.mailed me some photos that she took, and it was what she said it was.

ALan

blott
12-08-2004, 02:57
That timescale is about right Alan as there were only a couple of large houses there when we looked in 1998.

Mind you, the condition of a home has nothing whatsoever necessarily to do with the age of it as most owners take pride in their homes and keep them in extremely good condition as well as up to date.

agod
12-08-2004, 14:24
I agree with you Blottie, We looked at 10 year old house's when we where looking at resales, and most were spotless, I used to drive an 18 year old car, and I live in a 102 year old house, all of which are kept and maintained to a high standard, just because it is 5 years old should not mean its tired and dirty.

Alan

linda.s
12-08-2004, 14:27
If you own on one of the communities, aren't there rules regarding upkeep? Or would these only apply to the exterior of the property? I am sure that the community themselves would be ashamed if a rental was found to be in this condition.......

blott
12-08-2004, 16:00
There are rules Linda but they can only relate only to the exterior areas, for obvious reasons.

The inside condition is directly related to the owners and their agents to take care of but, fortunately, cases like this are very rare indeed. As I said earlier, the vast majority of home owners take pride in their home and ensure that this is both kept up to date, regularly upgraded and properly looked after.

linda.s
12-08-2004, 16:19
Thought that would be the case Blott - shame though!

Mind you, I know people that have been renting villas for years, and not once have they had problems. I have also directed a lot of people to this site, as most had never heard of it, and I know that they would get the best deals for most things, including villas here. Shame I didn't join until AFTER I had bought most things, but I did get pretty good deals, so I don;t feel too bad!

tam
19-09-2004, 01:59
new member- first posting

hi maitland, what a terrible time u have had! and what a wonderful offer from alan. What kindness. We have recently returned from bass lakes from a similar villa. We shall make sure we book from this site when we return in december. What lovely people and a fab site. Have been addicted since we found the site last week.

Have a wonderful few days in your new villa.:)

tam

agod
19-09-2004, 03:00
Hi Tam

Welcome to the Forum, it is extremely addictive, was your Villa bad on bass lakes? all of the villas on this site are verified, and are owned by very conscientious, and proud lot, we are in the main lovers of Florida and our villas, and get very particular who we let in them, most of the guests that go through, do become friends and come back year after year, so when we come across a villa, that lets us down we act on it, if I had not offered my place someone else would have,I know that for a fact.

Alan

LiesaAnna
19-09-2004, 12:38
Hi Alan,
just been reading through about Maitlands story, it makes us appreciate all those villa owners who are good enough to allow us perfect strangers in to your homes and trust us to respect your property, but from the other site "how do you leave your villa" (something like that) if everyone does a little to help tidy/clean doesnt have to be spring clean then surely the cleaners would have a bit more time that they allow themselves to clean each house,to really make sure properties like that one to be really clean,
i was a chambermaid many years ago, and we found if some one had stripped the beds for us and just generally left the place clean then we could spend more time with the ones that were a mess, i would love to have seen the cleaners/MC's homes, what must they think to allow people who spend a long time saving up for holidays and so look forward to them...as they leave the villa "yes that looks good the families will have a good time here" what goes through their minds........................I'd love to know.............

Lynnes
19-09-2004, 14:48
I have just come across this and think Alan made a fantastic offer. You have restored my faith in human nature, very well done.

Lynne

LiesaAnna
19-09-2004, 15:02
Here Here!!!!;)

MTP
26-09-2004, 04:55
Alan,

I have just found this thread, but blessings to you. Your kindness will be repaid tenfold and I do believe in your belief in Karma, even if it doesn't currently seem to be the case. You turned one family's nightmare into a dream I am sure you were acting as an angel.

Well done,

MTP

agod
26-09-2004, 06:29
Thanks again everyone, I dont think I am an Angel, but nice thought, it is something that comes naturally to me, my wife thinks I am daft, but if someone likes something I have, I have given it to them, or bought them one, I am by any means rich, that I can hand out everything I own, just good natured, although I like the nice things in life, people are more important, than possesions.
On the cleaning debate Joye always strips the beds and gets things in the washer, its just the way we are, and have been brought up to respect other peoples property, even in a hotel, we leave it clean and tidy.

Alan

momsbirthdayvacation
26-09-2004, 10:44
hi
Im new to all this, renting someone's home for a vacation.
having a hard time deciding on which home to actually rent.
all I do know is that from all I have read and all the kindness that is shown to strangers Im amazed
and am so happy I stumbled onto this site from a simple search on yahoo.
from all I have read from owners my mind is a bit more at ease in renting out a strangers home. and can only hope that the house I do choose comes along with a wonderful owner.
alan you are a wonderful person for what you have done
too bad your home is much larger than Im looking for or i would have rented yours
but im sure that the larger majority of owners are as nice as you
jo

LiesaAnna
26-09-2004, 12:07
just like to add, when we first booked a villa (not through here as we only recently found it)we had never seen or heard of people owning villas and renting them out and were worried about handing over money to a complete stranger and having to trust him/her, we had picked one out of a local buy/sell public free paper, altho we have now rented again with the same chap i would have been more comfy renting from this site, i am so glad that the villa we rented was kosha and clean in a beautiful condition, and obviously some one we learnt to trust, i have since recommended this site and his villa to friends, would love to name him and his villa, but obviously i wont, and i dont think he's a member here, florida pines is a lovely place (just thought i would add that) :)

stabard
30-09-2004, 22:21
Although this thread started off with such a terrible experience for Maitland it goes to show that there are some great people in this world.
I too am a great believer in you get what you give and I think Alan is due a large deposit. [beer]Cheers to you Alan and I would like to think that I and many others would have done the same in your position.

agod
01-10-2004, 00:13
Hi All

Thanks again, but Jeanne has just hit us big time, the water is coming up through the floor, and has ruined the 2 master bedrooms, carpets, good thing is KB who built the home has already actioned the carpet cleaners, they are here now, and there is a crew coming on saturday to find out where it is all coming from. they have been very positive and are doing everything to help.

But this year in general has been a disaster from the start, I lost my 2 cats to tumours, within a month of one another, and plenty more that I wont bore you with, so come on God, where is my turn.

Alan

KarenScott
01-10-2004, 00:30
Alan
So sorry to hear your news. Hoping that the builders sort your problems out. You have an absolutely stunning home.
Sorry to hear about your other problems, like you say it sounds as if you have had your fair share, let's hope so[angel]

agod
01-10-2004, 00:58
Thanks Karen, for your kind words, on our home.
I have the Del Boy mentality to spring back, next year Rodney we will all be Mirrionaires!!

Alan[msnwink]