PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Park at Rock Springs.

starkie
10-05-2004, 23:11
Just been to this Fantastic Park. $1 entry Fee and it is so beautiful. You can Hire tubes to float down the lazy river from outside the park. It is easy to find. Take I4 towards Altamonte Springs. Exit here and turn left on Semoran Blvd. About 8 miles on turn right into Park Ave. Continue on this road and Kelly Park is at the very top and just on the right. We had a lovely relaxing half day here. Great facilities. Barbeque area, lots of clean toilets, lockers, snack bar. Very clean.
Try it, it's different from 'THE OTHER PARKS'
Let me know if anyone had been!!

Julie

Calamity Jane
02-06-2004, 14:50
its always better to go here in the middle of the week as the locals use it at weekend, generally it is quieter mid week, mostly pre-schools and smaller groups.

You can also take your own inflatables, BBQ areas are dotted around the park( plenty of these) you "walk" or roll your inner tube up the boardwalk and then you just meander lazily down the river ( its shallow) to the lagoon at the end ( shallow lagoon as well) you can either sit on the sandy area ( man made beach....not as tacky as it sounds)or walk back up the boardwalk and do it all over again. There are life guards sat at the side of the river at intervals which is reassuring if you are with children.

Its a fab place and because of the location ( national park) there is plenty of shade for those who dont want to get burnt.

A brilliant day out and not many tourists know about it ( well until now):D:D

Most people just do the well known parks and its a shame because they miss out on the beautiful areas which are not promoted as much.

porky
02-06-2004, 15:33
We went there once with the sole intention of tubing but didn't realise yopu had to get your tubes outside the park and not inside. Not to be out done, we just jumped into the water and floated down on our bellies.:D Good fun but probably not as good as a tube. I'll know better next time.

Jacqui

bridget
02-06-2004, 21:29
When you say shallow, how shallow? My husband can't swim [msneek]
Ta.

porky
03-06-2004, 04:06
Well the bit we floated down was so shallow in places we s[bad language filtered out]ped our knees on the rocks.

Jacqui

This bad language filter is a bit over enthusiastic isn't it? Took me a while to work out what I'd said.:D
It should read skraped:D:D:D

Achilles2k
11-06-2004, 03:21
This sounds like a really nice place :)

Anyone got any photos they can post - or email to me please [?]:)

Thanks

zerotone
09-09-2004, 22:54
We have just returned form Florida and we visited Kelly Park. Had a great time there. Very peaceful , quiet and relaxing. That is until the mosquitos homed in on us. I am not usually bothered by them but ended up with quite a few very itchy bites. So if you go, and it is well worth it, take plenty of mossy repellent. Whilst drifting down the river we saw a turtle, fishes and a very large colourful spider suspended above our heads in its web. It was very quiet when we went, we only came across 2 other parties there. In the wooded area we saw many squirrels and a few racoons. Be careful if you take a picnic or use the barbecues as the squirrels and racoons have been known to pinch the food whilst you're not looking. There were no lifeguards there when we went.

Nigel - I have some photos and have posted one on the 'Photos' topic. More to follow.

Jane