PDA

View Full Version : Blue Springs state park nr Daytona

Floridafriend
10-05-2004, 21:46
If anyone gets a chance to visit Blue Springs park it is very good. It consists of a 2 hour narrated trip on aboat tour down the St Johns River. We saw numerous snakes alligators and all types of birds whilst learning about the history of the river and the habitats for all the animals etc. We visited in Feb and this is when the manatees come to the river inlet to breed. The water is crystal clear and its possible to get a realy good view of the babies without making contact with them. There is also an underground spring which is a constant 70 degrees and is uses by divers due to its abundance of fish etc. It is possible to arrrange diving with the park prior to arrival and tickets can be booked over the phone to ensure a place on the twice daily boat. There are also ample areas some undercover for BBQS-just take the food and charcoal, wine..... etc a small giftshop/snack shop and a house built in the style of 1800s when the area was a steam ship port. It was an excellent day out and we took six children aged from 9-15 and a 70 year old mother in law and they all enjoyed it equally. The cost was about $15 per person with reductions for children. They also have a sectioned off swimming area in the freshwater river, wooden walkways throughout the park with various boards depicting the historical/flora/fauna info for the area and a good small childrens play area. Its good to recover from the hustle and bustle of theme parks.

AndyC
10-05-2004, 22:45
Hi FloridaFriend

how ironic,I was only looking at this park today and was wondering what is was like. I see from an another posting of yours that you have a villa at hampton lakes, we are also staying at that resort this year, can you tell me roughly how long this journey took you from the resort.

You mentioned about phoning to book-up, how long before would you advise.

Many thanks

Andy

Floridafriend
11-05-2004, 19:58
Do you have a villa on hampton lakes? We took roughly about 1 hr 25 mins to get to the park and we booked about 48 hours in advance. Let me know if you need any other info about Hampton lakes or the area around or blue Springs etc

Debs

orlandobabe
13-05-2004, 17:59
We've also seen the manatees in Jan in the springs. There were about 65 of them.

It's a shame they are only up the springs for a short time.

We haven't taken the boat trip-or swum in the springs either.

Again it's another day out that doesn't cost the earth and gets you away from the fast pace of life.