PDA

View Full Version : Staying in Southern Dunes

hollinj
10-05-2004, 16:25
[msncool]

I'm staying in Southern Dunes in two weeks time.

Any recommendations for local restaurants?

Carla
10-05-2004, 18:02
There's a lovely Fish & Seafood restaurant (can't quite remember the name but I think it's called Fishy Tails). The food is delicious and it is almost opposite Southern Dunes on US27.

janny
10-05-2004, 18:05
I think its Fish Tales Carla plus the restaurant at SD is supposed to be good as well

porky
10-05-2004, 19:45
Sorry Carla, can't agree about Fish Tales. We found it was edible, nothing special and very small portions for an American restaurant. This is the only place in the USA that I have been able to eat a starter, entree and dessert and still feel hungry[V] Normally I can't even manage a dessert.

Savanahs is another one I won't go to again - been 4 times and only once was the food any good, the other times it was mediocre and the service was awful.

The restaurant on Southern Dunes is good, as Janny says. We tend to drive down to Winter Haven and frequent the Outback, Applebees, Chillis and the Lonestar Steakhouse. There are loads of other places down there that we have yet to try. I keep saying I will try a new one on each trip but hubby says no[msnmad]

Have a good trip to SD, it's a great place, (yes I'm biased):D

Jacqui

chris c
20-05-2004, 00:49
You could try the Bar & Grill which is a new restaurant/bar located at the shops opposite the entrance to Southern Dunes. Bit noisy, but the food was quite good. Seemed a very popular place!

When we last went out, we visited Denny's and Perkins as they are always fairly reliable. There is a Denny's in either direction. One is at the junction with the I4 (exit 55) and the other one is just before Eagle Ridge Mall. There is also a good restaurant at Eagle Ridge, but I can't remember the name.

Lucky you going to Southern Dunes so soon. I've got to wait until October to get back to the villa.

porky
20-05-2004, 15:57
We, (hubby and I), tried this palce when we were over in Feb. We were looking for a bar that was closer than the one we normally use but decided it was rather sterile and had no atmosphere. This may have been due to the fact that it had only recently opened and there were very few people in it.

We decided to have a meal and got the shock of our lives when one of the waitresses tapped us on the shoulders then gave us a hug when we turned round. It turned out she was one of the many people we had come to know from the bar up the road - Peppers Lounge inside the Red Carpet Inn on the US27 up near the junction with the I-4. The people in here are a very friendly bunch and they have electronic darts, pool and football Sundays. The only drawback is they have Kroakie 4 nights a week:(. Mind you, they are all regulars that sing and are very good - with the odd exception. No I don't do this, I know I have a voice that would empty the place in 6 minutes flat:D:D.

I think the place you mean Chris is Garfields. There was one there last October. Speaking of this October, we're out there then Sep 30th until Oct 21st so will have to meet up.

Jacqui

chrizzy100
20-05-2004, 17:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by porky
Sorry Carla, can't agree about Fish Tales. We found it was edible, nothing special and very small portions for an American restaurant. This is the only place in the USA that I have been able to eat a starter, entree and dessert and still feel hungry[V] Normally I can't even manage a dessert.

Savanahs is another one I won't go to again - been 4 times and only once was the food any good, the other times it was mediocre and the service was awful.

The restaurant on Southern Dunes is good, as Janny says. We tend to drive down to Winter Haven and frequent the Outback, Applebees, Chillis and the Lonestar Steakhouse. There are loads of other places down there that we have yet to try. I keep saying I will try a new one on each trip but hubby says no[msnmad]

Have a good trip to SD, it's a great place, (yes I'm biased):D

Jacqui
[/quote]

I've yet to try Applebees.....we don't have one near us.......I like to use places we don't have where I live......I'll have to give it a go.......

chris c
23-05-2004, 22:51
Absolutely right Jacqui, it was Garfields. We had a lovely meal there and I would highly recommend it.

Sadly we are not going out till 31st October, so we will miss you this time around!

Maybe next year.

Floridalover
24-05-2004, 01:42
First Wok ( behind KFC in the strip mall) do wicked Chinese take aways and a decent portion of chips[:p]