PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Cream

Nigel Edwards
04-08-2002, 21:54
Can anyone advise on the best ie the one that mossies hate, Mosquito cream.
name of Cream and where to buy it?

thanks

Nigel ( wishing to keep my blood during August)

tonyjameswright
05-08-2002, 02:03
Any good pharmacist should be able to help. Alternatively, try NHS Direct www.nhsdirect.co.uk

Karen

Nigel Edwards
05-08-2002, 02:45
Is it best to get it over here oe wait and buy it in the US?

tinkerbell
05-08-2002, 16:40
If you can get hold of it, the best one is called 'OFF!' It seems to repel the little blighters quite nicely!!

Tink

tinkerbell
05-08-2002, 16:41
If you can get hold of it, the best one is called 'OFF!' It seems to repel the little blighters quite nicely!!

I'm pretty sure it's american, so you'll be able to get it out there! I had it in the British Virgin Isles where most of their goods are imported from the USA and everyone swears by it! It comes in a spray form rather than a cream.

Tink

Edited by - tinkerbell on 05/08/2002 12:42:23

florida4sun
05-08-2002, 18:18
Trouble with off is that if conatins DEET (unless they changed it) which is very nasty stuff, keep it well away from children.
Everyone is raving about a product called Bullfrog over here. Personally I use 'skin so soft' from Avon. Even though it is not a repellent, its safe and it works very well.

Martin

quote:

I'm pretty sure it's american, so you'll be able to get it out there! I had it in the British Virgin Isles where most of their goods are imported from the USA and everyone swears by it! It comes in a spray form rather than a cream.

Tink

Edited by - tinkerbell on 05/08/2002 12:42:23

steph_goodrum
05-08-2002, 19:10
For anyone with sensitive skin we've found the wrist/anklebands quite effective, they have a little sachet of repellant in them, all the travel depts have them. Some designs are more aesthetically pleasing than others but if they kill the bugs... Our daughter has quite severe eczema so anything which contains chemicals is to be avoided like the plague, but we bought some of these at Boots at the airport on our first trip 6 years ago, as when we got to the checkin Virgin were issuing health warnings about the mossies on a printed flyer and strongly recommended everyone bought some sort of repellant before they left, because a couple of people were known to have contracted nile virus from them.

Babblin Boo

esprit
07-08-2002, 01:38
The mossies in Sri Lanka from which we have just returned carry malaria and dengue fever. It was an absolute necessity to keep them away as much as possible. Mossies usually love me and I found that only the Jungle Formula mossie repellents with Deet were really effective. As Martin states you have to be careful how you use it but it does work. Fortunately the mossies in Florida are just a pain but dont carry anything nasty.

Julie Carty

florida4sun
07-08-2002, 01:45
I am just a tad concerned about this west Nile virus. They have already declared a state of emergency in one part of the USA. We should all pray that it is does not reach Florida. Alhough they have very good spray and control programs here.

Martin

quote:
The mossies in Sri Lanka from which we have just returned carry malaria and dengue fever. It was an absolute necessity to keep them away as much as possible. Mossies usually love me and I found that only the Jungle Formula mossie repellents with Deet were really effective. As Martin states you have to be careful how you use it but it does work. Fortunately the mossies in Florida are just a pain but dont carry anything nasty.

Julie Carty

orlandobabe
08-08-2002, 22:12
Seems a bit of conflicting advice here. Do we but the ones containing DEET to be on the safe side or what. I suffer badly with ordinary mozzies-never mind the nile virus carrying ones.

I don't know what to do. I gor very badly bitten last September-and will be back in October again

Orlandobabe

MMFAN
01-09-2002, 19:32
My advice is to buy the ones with DEET, but use the mildest version that works for you. For example the "OFF" brand has 3 concentrations. The strongest is "Deep Woods", then regular, then children's. We use the children's for everyone when the mosquitoes aren't too bad. The deep woods when they are at their worst. I live in Wisconsin, where the winter temp reaches -29C, but somehow the mosquitoes thive here. DEET products are the only ones that really work for us.

quote:
Seems a bit of conflicting advice here. Do we but the ones containing DEET to be on the safe side or what. I suffer badly with ordinary mozzies-never mind the nile virus carrying ones.

I don't know what to do. I gor very badly bitten last September-and will be back in October again

Orlandobabe
[u]</u>

Ruth
01-09-2002, 19:35
Is the children's version safe for all ages MMFAN. I have a 2 year old, can I use it on him?

Ruth

Lizzie
01-09-2002, 22:09
MosiGuard - spray or roll on is v.good, suitable for adults and children, ecalyptus based (no deet?) and was recommended by the Inst. of Tropical Medicines. Avail from Boots. I am a gourmet meal as far as mossies are concerned. I find OFF v.good and much cheaper, normally buy a large can from Walgreens

Liz

orlandobabe
01-09-2002, 23:59
We are going in October-so need to get this sorted out now-as the mozzies are usually pretty bad then.

My mum gets a very bad reaction to them-and she will be with us.

Did I read somewhere that they are attracted to the carbon dioxide coming from your skin? (Hopefully I've not made that up)-and the cream prevents that happening.

I got my hand badly bitten last year-it was sheer hell-it must have gone round every finger!

Orlandobabe

imported_n/a
16-09-2002, 18:22
Watched a report on Nile's Disease which they agree is spreading across the US quite rapidly and has reached most parts of Florida. However, that although some 11 people have died from a bite from a mosquito carrying Niles - in comparison to over 50,000 people who died from flu in the States last year, it is not therefore considered a real threat.

However, do be on your guard - we always take anti-histamine a week before we go (Zirtek - non-drowsy) just in case we get bitten as this does help.

caribcelt
24-09-2002, 20:54
You want to avoid getting bit from mosquitos and no-see-ums (sand flies) as the itching and red marks can really ruin your holiday, never mind the diseases and the unpleasant marks that the bites can leave on your body.

We use "Off Botanicals", I do not think that it contains deet. It is very effective and is plant based, therefore it has a lovely smell. It also goes on just like a nice moisturiser, non greasy. In order to avoid getting bit you should carry the plastic bottle with you at all times and apply just before sunset. If you normally get bitten during the day then you should apply it every couple of hours to have the maximum effect. I think I have seen that Off has brought out a childrens cream, but I am not 100% sure.

The Avon Skin-So-Soft is also very good, they now produce the range with a mosquito repellent and sun cream all in one.

If you do happen to get bit, you should apply, " Benadryl" immediately. This stops the sting, stops you from scratching and helps the pain to go away quicker. I use the Benadryl gel if I happen to get bit. It is for age six and upwards, I do think that they have one for small children as well.

The best medicine is prevention. I do not go anywhere without my Off cream and my Benadryl. Be always prepared. You can pick these items up at any supermarket or Walgreens in the States and the they are quite inexpensive.

As always, some creams or sprays work different with different types of skin, so if you find that something does not work for you, try something else until you find something that does work.

Mosquitos may even be drawn to certain smells, ie shampoo or perfume. I have even heard in the past that eating garlic keeps them away, but then garlic will keep everyone else away too.

Be prepared and do not ruin your wonderful holidays in Florida.
Caribcelt

steve-mac
27-09-2002, 20:54
As a keen fly-fisherman, who plies his trade high summer in the Highlands of Scotland, I can let you all into a wee secret as far as keeping the mozzies off.

I use, and have done for years a product by the cosmetic firm Avon, called "Skin so Soft", the Woodland Fresh variety. This is a body moisturiser, but you can also get it in a spray version now.

I have not been bitten by a midge or a mozzie (when in Florida two years ago) whilst having this on.

It is a little awkward as it does smell very feminine, but it certainly works for me and I can handle the teasing as I am the one with no bites!

It costs £2.50 and is available from your local Avon representative. Well worth a try.

PS I would not use a product with DEET in it as I have seen what too much of this can do to your skin.:)