PDA

View Full Version : 12-Seater minivan

AndyC
10-05-2004, 02:36
Hi everyone

We will be a party of nine hiring a 12-seater minivan though dollar at Orlando airport, is there likely to be sufficient room in the vehicle for all 9 passengers plus a suitcase each plus 2x wheelchairs, I would be prepared to make two journeys to villa if necessary, or would the back seat fold down to make more room. I would also like to know what type of seating is expected in these vehicles as regards comfort..

all help greatly appreciated

Regards
Andy

phaedra
10-05-2004, 13:16
Last I read was that 12 seater bookings were being given 2 x 7 seaters due to safety problems with the 12 seaters when they are fully loaded, check with whoever you've booked it with.

AndyC
10-05-2004, 13:29
Thanxs Jeff, I will have to check this out soonest, especially as I will be the only driver

Andy

blott
10-05-2004, 15:38
I thought that just applied to the 15 seaters?

AndyC
10-05-2004, 18:01
Have been in touch with Dollar in Uk and they said that 12 seaters were still being used and that their 15 seaters were taken out of service as of 1st April this year.

Has anyone had any experience of driving these big beasts ie how comfortable they are, how easy it is to step up into, we will have two elderly with us one of whom is disabled.

Thanks
Andy

blott
10-05-2004, 18:48
I thought that problem only applied to the 15 seaters.

I drive a 7 seater in the UK, mainly because it's so easy to get in and out of. Because the seats are higher off the ground than a 'normal' car, you can stand at the open door and just swivel round as your backside is around the same height as the seats. The same thing when you get out, just swivel your legs out of the door and you're practically standing up.

Knowing American vehicles, they're likely to be much more comfortable than UK ones with all the bells and whistles on them.

phaedra
11-05-2004, 23:27
I admit it .... I am a complete plonker and got it totally wrong! :D

The 7 seaters we've had have either been a Chevy Town & Country or a Dodge Grand Caravan, almost identical and very easy to drive. I've had to give up my car here as I can't get in/out without problems and would love an MPV :D

The only thing with the MPVs is the fuel consumption, 20mpg!, I've been used to driving a diesel for years and anything under 45mpg is a shock!. At least the gas is cheap (to us at least!) at about £1 a gallon :)

diaquarian
11-05-2004, 23:42
The only problem with the 12 or 15 seater is for short legs, difficulty getting in and out.
We have invested in a low foot stool from walmart $5, which we keep in the owners cuboard.

blott
12-05-2004, 02:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The only thing with the MPVs is the fuel consumption, 20mpg!, I've been used to driving a diesel for years and anything under 45mpg is a shock!.[/quote] Ours is a diesel Jeff and it does do about 40 - 45 to the gallon (UK gallon that is!). In fact, it does more mpg than our previous car which was a Renault Clio!

phaedra
12-05-2004, 05:59
A friend here in the UK has a diesel Chrysler Voyager, very nice!.

He's also been to Florida and couldn't believe the petrol versions only get around 20mpg!

Nostromo
06-06-2004, 17:27
We had a major problem with a Dollar '12-seater' this visit. We actually wanted an 8-seater, but Dollar offered a 'free-upgrade' to a 12-seater. I made the mistake of not checking it first; it turned out to be a Ford E-350 van (the most coomon used these days by Dollar) - essentially an 8-seater with an extra 3-seater bench added. The problem was that this unwanted seat was in the luggage space!

For 9 of you with luggage and 2-wheelchairs, you need a proper 12-seater with equivalent luggage space. Warn Dollar about this beforehand; ask to speak to a manager so that there are no problems after a long and tiring flight.

AndyC
09-06-2004, 12:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
We had a major problem with a Dollar '12-seater' this visit. We actually wanted an 8-seater, but Dollar offered a 'free-upgrade' to a 12-seater. I made the mistake of not checking it first; it turned out to be a Ford E-350 van (the most coomon used these days by Dollar) - essentially an 8-seater with an extra 3-seater bench added. The problem was that this unwanted seat was in the luggage space!

For 9 of you with luggage and 2-wheelchairs, you need a proper 12-seater with equivalent luggage space. Warn Dollar about this beforehand; ask to speak to a manager so that there are no problems after a long and tiring flight.
[/quote]

Many thanks for the info, I have been in touch with Dollar and they have confirmed it is a Ford E350 but sent me a few photos which does show an 8-seater and a 12-seater with the latter being slightly longer, even done a search on the net and found several models under the E-350 range, have again been back to dollar for confirmation but yet no reply.

They do seem very helpful but get the impression that they are skirmishing around the question...will the vehicle have sufficient luggage space....

Failing that I will have to be prepared to do two trips to Hampton Lakes...not a problem I couldn't cope with...

Anyone know how long the round trip will take from MCO to hampton Lakes????

AndyC
10-06-2004, 22:04
Just for the record.....

I have confirmation from dollar that the 12 passenger van is an 8 passenger van with 4 bench seats added reducing the luggage space.

I think this makes a mockery of the pricing schedule as I'm paying an additional £70 per week more for a 12 seater when at the end of the day it is only a glorified 8-seater with less luggage space for more passengers.

Nice One Dollar....[V]

Needed to ge that one off my chest..gripe over[msnsmile]

Nostromo
11-06-2004, 02:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AndyC
Just for the record.....

I have confirmation from dollar that the 12 passenger van is an 8 passenger van with 4 bench seats added reducing the luggage space.

[/quote]

If it is a Ford E-350 with 12 seats, you can be certain that there WON'T be enough luggage space. I think you will find that 2 trips to Hampton Lakes after a long flight will be more tiring than you think and will put you in a bad frame of mind at the very start of your holiday. I strongly advice against this. Try to twist Dollar's arm for a genuine 12-seater; if you do not succeed, it may be better to split your party into two groups for the airport trips only; invest in a taxi for some of the people and luggage and you take the rest in the van.

AndyC
11-06-2004, 02:21
[/quote]
If it is a Ford E-350 with 12 seats, you can be certain that there WON'T be enough luggage space. I think you will find that 2 trips to Hampton Lakes after a long flight will be more tiring than you think and will put you in a bad frame of mind at the very start of your holiday. I strongly advice against this. Try to twist Dollar's arm for a genuine 12-seater; if you do not succeed, it may be better to split your party into two groups for the airport trips only; invest in a taxi for some of the people and luggage and you take the rest in the van.
[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from, and yes, a taxi it may have to be, we do have two drivers unfortunatley the second purely in an emergency as my good lady would not have the confidence to drive overthere, I do know that it is so much easier and almost hassle free and I actually look forward to driving over there again.

I have tried negotiating with my travel agent (charter travel) asking why I'm paying for a 12 seat and realistically only getting an 8, there answer was to use a taxi! (at my expense of course).

I have also emailed Dollar in US explaining my predicament, all in the best possible taste of course, in the hope that they may relent and provide me with a genuine 12-seater + luggage space.

One problem I can foresee is the return journey, having to vacate villa before 10am and not flying untill 6pm don't particularly want to be couped up in an airport for all that time, anyone know of a twilight booking facility at MCO.

thanks

Andy

Nostromo
11-06-2004, 11:08
There is a check-in facility at Downtown Disney where you can check-in major bags the previous evening. The potential problem with that could be - you might suddely realise the following morning that you needed something or the other from one of the checked-in bags!

Alternatively, you can request your villa owner to allow you to stay until 2pm before vacating the villa. If they don't have new guests coming in immediatly after you, they may agree at no extra charge. You can then pack at leisure on the final day; we asked and were allowed to stay in the villa till5pm for our 8:30pm flight.

If you have to vacate the villa at 10am, the ususal plan for many visitors would be to stop off at Gatorland for a few hours on the way to the airport.

Finally about Dollar. This may sound harsh, but being overly diplomatic with them may not get you what you want. They should have 'proper' 12-seaters that they can give you. I have found from experience that DEMANDING (without being abusive, of course) usually gets results. In 1995, my wife and I were issued a very dodgy Dodge (no pun intended) with faulty indicator lights and other problems. On reaching the hotel, I rang Dollar, demanded to speak to a manager and threatened to sue. Within a couple of hours, I got a letter of apology hand-delivered by Dollar engineers who then replaced the Dodge with a V8 Eagle Vision at no extra charge.

AndyC
11-06-2004, 12:30
Many thanks Nostromo, you have been very helpful and it is greatly appreciated. You have given me a few route to take and will also speak to the villa owner (by the way it was this site that I found the villa) just have to remember to be more demanding to Dollar and "nice" to the villa owner.......hope I dont get them too mixed up! that really would have the reverse effect "homeless and stuck with a 2-door compact":D:D:D

I will let you know how I get on

cheers Andy

blott
11-06-2004, 16:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: There is a check-in facility at Downtown Disney where you can check-in major bags the previous evening.[/quote]Just to remind everyone, before you all get too excited, this is a facility for Virgin flights only and is a day of departure facility from 8.30 am.