PDA

View Full Version : Check in Times

langley
09-05-2004, 19:16
Hi

Was listening to the News on TV the other night and they were talking about a 5 hour checkin time for most flights !!!!

Can anybody shed anymore light on this matter ????

bridget
09-05-2004, 19:18
Eek! I hope not. Although I am going to use the early check in at Gatwick the day before so should be ok.

chrisj
09-05-2004, 19:23
Ive heard this as well, it was on the radio the other day. They now suggest check-in 5 hours
before ?????? oooerrrrr

Luckily like Bridget we are checking in the night before

Carla
09-05-2004, 20:14
Yet another news report that is going for sensationalism rather than truth, when it comes to anything to do with travel!!!

3 hours is the recommended time for a transatlantic flight.

steph_goodrum
09-05-2004, 21:07
The reports centre around the journalists assumption that if and when more stringent entry requirements that have been discussed, come into being. Mainly that each passenger must provide address for their stay in US, and that carriers would be fined if the info wasnt provided, then it would add approx 30 secs per passenger onto the checkin in time and, according to the journalists reckoning, that airlines would be introducing a 5 hour checkin time.
Or course even now as Carla says it is only "recommended" that you allow 3 hours, and most checkins dont open till 3 hours before the flight, and checkin usually closes about 40mins -1hr before flight time, as long as you arrive within that window then you are ok.
The proposals neednt add that time on anyway as BA and Virgin now offer checkin the night before so a large proportion of guests ar eusing that and also the airlines could (and I think they probably will) ask the question if you have an address before they issue the tickets and if you have then that too will save time.

wilfy
09-05-2004, 21:15
This same requirement will also require airlines to send details x minutes/hours before the plane departs. Of course the EU is not a happy bunny about it. At the moment, it's all talk.

chrisj
09-05-2004, 21:15
Must admit it does sound like the press doing a 'Hype'.

Chris7
10-05-2004, 02:34
We were told 4 hours for a flight to Canada, so it wouldn't surprise me

chrisj
10-05-2004, 03:00
really, must admit we have aways got to he airport early. Its just me, would rather be there
and as we normally have to fly from gatwick and take the chance on the M25 we always leave
as early as we can, but 4 or 5 hours is a bit much

Carla
10-05-2004, 03:40
We always try to get there early, so that we can be the first to offer to be "bumped" if the flight is very oversold!! Never happened yet, but I live in hope.
:D:D:D

steph_goodrum
10-05-2004, 11:10
Chris
As we're in Kent we always travel the night before to Gatwick rather than risk the M25 in the early hours of the morning. Although its only a 40 min run usually, if you get an accident in front you can be delayed for hours. We've found it cuts the hassle down so much as Mick is one of these people who, if you're not an hour early you're late, in his opinion, so is always rushing round hurrying us both up and that is when things get forgotten, so by going the night before the holiday starts sooner and we dont have any of the last minute hassle as we know we've got all night.
For an 11 am flight we used to set off at about 5 to make sure there was time and of course invariably ended up at the airport with 5 hours to kill.

Trina
10-05-2004, 12:20
Steph

No wonder you were asking about Manston Airport the other day! We live in Kent too. My other half is exactly like your Mick. In fact as the years go by he gets worse. Easter was intolerable. We could'nt go over the night before this time. Coming back was even worse. I have started handing out the boarding cards as soon as we have checked in now and after having something to eat all 4 of us just eventually meet at the departure gate!!!

Hurry up Manston - 15 minutes down the road!!!

Trina [msnsmile]

chrisj
10-05-2004, 12:57
Steph

We are going down the afternoon before and staying in the Hilton. I agree with you about
the M25, so at least this way we sould have a quieter journey to Gatwick.

Also there is a pool at the Hilton so at least the kids can go for a swim etc. Also, when
we get up its just a stroll to the airport.

Just need to convince the wife about indirect flighte then exploit heathrow more

dino
10-05-2004, 14:40
hi Chrisj, we are also going a day before and staying at hilton .kids know that there is a swimming pool but one question that my wife asked me and i had no answer, swimsuits get wet and we will have to carry them. does anybody has a quick fix to that , i think should start another thread. fly in 2 weeks , kids are counting and it can be a long wait when they count each hour.

dino

chrisj
10-05-2004, 14:57
Hi Dino

What we were thinking of doing, We assume the room will have a trouser Press. If so we
thought we should be able to use that to dry the swimsuits. Other than that the only option
is to put them into carrier bags or something like that.

Or as wife said the other night, we could just go skinny dipping :D

athurstance
10-05-2004, 15:21
Usually they have one of those little machines for drying swimsuits and if you use the hotel towels it shouldn't be a problem.
The alternative is to simply take some spare swimsuits and leave the damp ones in the car boot.

huckleberry house
10-05-2004, 15:28
We stayed over night at Russ hill Hotel near gatwick and found the swimsuits dried overnight just hung in the bathroom, if they hadnt we had a waterproof bag to carry them in our day bag anyway.

Lesley

chrisj
10-05-2004, 15:30
Thats answered our problem, thanks

mikewj
10-05-2004, 16:38
We're going down to Gatwick the night before we fly in February.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel and parking package ?

blott
10-05-2004, 16:43
Check out here http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5341 and here http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7951 for Gatwick hotels & parking.

Harmony
10-05-2004, 17:20
We arrived at Tampa airport 4 and a half hours before our flight to see if we could get upgraded. Even then there were about thirty people already in line. We had to wait half an hour for the checkin to open but at least it was worth it as we did get upgraded.:D

Jeff

steph_goodrum
10-05-2004, 18:41
We found the swimsuits dry overnight as well and if you want a swim in the morning its only the costumes you have (if you really want to once youve checked in you could always dry them using the hand drier in the loos.

I had this e-mail today about Manston
I have been forwarded your email regarding florida. We do hope to have some weekly flights towards the end of the year, but nothing is confirmed at the moment.

For up to date information, please see our web site or www.planestation.com

Thanks for your interest
Tony Knight
www.london-manston.com

I'm not sure it will be much easier for us but it depends ont eh infrastructure they put in to go along with the new airport building etc. At the moment if we have to use the Thanet way unless things have changed it's usually a nightmare as well.

Chris interesting comment about Heathrow, we dont like the airport as much as Gatwick, we're having to go there in Sept as were going to New York first. Is it more convenient for you?

chrisj
10-05-2004, 19:40
Takes us about 8 minutes to get to Heathrow if the by-pass is clear, also being so close
theres always friends who will run you in and pick you up

When you land, its nice knowing that within 10-20 minutes you will be home

steph_goodrum
10-05-2004, 19:54
We have an arrangement with a friend for pick up and transport to airport and then we reciprocate when he goes away, because we wont risk the drive when we come home.

chrisj
11-05-2004, 00:53
I agree, after a red eye flight the last thing you need is to have to drive home. Have done it
once before and said no way in the future

steph_goodrum
11-05-2004, 01:15
I might have told you the story Chris but before I had my daughter 17 years ago I worked at, what was then Marconi Avionics and after a transatlantic flight 4 of the top managers were almost killed and a couple were in intensive care for some time after 1 of them driving home from airport nodded of for split second so it became a ruling that you either had to have a chauffeur car or train home and it made me aware of the danger so we wont risk it.

chrisj
11-05-2004, 01:54
I think that story needs to be told, I dont think people realise how tired they actually are and
how dangerous it is to drive after a night flight.

Luckily we have always got a cab to and from when we have had an overnight flight back. I wont
risk it, jst not worth it. And your experience proves it