PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

AndyC
08-05-2004, 13:49
hi to all,

We are a party of nine and all booked up for Orlando later this year, (2nd time for some of us) just can't keep me away now. We decided to book into a villa Hampton Lakes this time rather than a hotel on I-drive.

In our party we have 2 elderly people one of whom is registered disabled and uses a wheel-chair to get around the other (my mother-in-law...) is just limited to the amount of walking she can do (bless)and we hope to acquire a wheel-chair for her to take with us. We are flying with Virgin and their special assistance has been brilliant, found them to be very helpful and informative.

I was also informed from Virgin that the Blue/Orange badge system in the UK is now officially recognised in Florida as they have been informed by the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Does anyone have any experience of using the disabled badge system in Florida or had any difficulties with wheelchair access to anyplace. Please share your experiences of this.

This site is just so packed with info, and I must stop rabbiting on, the excitement is just so unbearable (we've had this booked for well over a year now)

Many thanks...Andy

blott
08-05-2004, 16:01
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum!

Florida is very well organised for the disabled with many more facilities than you'll ever find in the UK. Everywhere has disabled toilets (even supermarkets and shops) and 99% of places are wheelchair accessible.

There are a couple of forum guides which you may find useful http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida_guide/handicapped_visitors.asp and http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida_guide/florida_elderly.asp

If you want to rent a wheelchair for your MIL, there are several companies in Florida which will deliver/collect from your villa. http://www.walkermobility.com or http://www.scootaround.com are two of these.

Just make sure, if you're taking wheelchairs from the UK, that they're covered by insurance and that you get permission to take them from whoever supplied them (if they're not actually owner purchased), in case of any problems. Also make sure that you tell your airline well in advance of your requirements so that any necessary airport or plane assistance can be organised.

Have a great time!

chrizzy100
08-05-2004, 18:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AndyC
hi to all,

We are a party of nine and all booked up for Orlando later this year, (2nd time for some of us) just can't keep me away now. We decided to book into a villa Hampton Lakes this time rather than a hotel on I-drive.

In our party we have 2 elderly people one of whom is registered disabled and uses a wheel-chair to get around the other (my mother-in-law...) is just limited to the amount of walking she can do (bless)and we hope to acquire a wheel-chair for her to take with us. We are flying with Virgin and their special assistance has been brilliant, found them to be very helpful and informative.

I was also informed from Virgin that the Blue/Orange badge system in the UK is now officially recognised in Florida as they have been informed by the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Does anyone have any experience of using the disabled badge system in Florida or had any difficulties with wheelchair access to anyplace. Please share your experiences of this.

This site is just so packed with info, and I must stop rabbiting on, the excitement is just so unbearable (we've had this booked for well over a year now)

Many thanks...Andy
[/quote]

My mum has an English disabled badge and it was fine everywhere.......no trouble at all with using it.......:)

mr flibble
08-05-2004, 19:23
Hi Andy :)
welcome to the forum there is a wealth of knowledge here.
I know you will learn & enjoy.
Let us all know how your holiday turns out

agod
08-05-2004, 19:35
Thats good to know, that they now reconize the European Blue Badge scheme, we always take ours with us, (her hip and my heart) and put it on the dashboard of the car, the Americans have theres hanging from the windscreen mirror, we where told by some of the ex-pat Brits that it didnt apply to Florida, but we used ours all over the place, getting us nearer the front entrances and parking spaces, and it was excepted anyway, heres a little tip for you, I always keep mine handy, the trouble with me is I look to healthy, so if I need to sit down at long airline queues, or even try for a sympathetic upgrade, with the airline staff, it can work wonders when you flash them your badge.

Alan

hamptonlakes
09-05-2004, 18:03
Welcome to the forum Andy, you pick a great community, not that i am byist [msntongue]

The only information i can offer on wheelchair assistance is that both manchester and orlando international airport staff where brilliant and very helpful plus Virgin where great too.

If we can answer any other questions then post away or you can use the search facility @ the top of the forum

Have a great day[msnsmile2]

AndyC
10-05-2004, 02:40
Hi agod

we've been advised by Virgin to hang the disabled badge from the rear view mirror (the american way).

Andy