PDA

View Full Version : old town cruise

jaz8ee
06-05-2004, 03:24
Hi all,
Im totally new to this but we are coming to FLA in June and of course we are doing the disney thing etc. However my main aim is to attend the old town cruise as am a U S car nut!!!! Any helpful hints on where to go before cruise time for some good ol boy chat to car owners and such would be a terific boost ???

Tanx Jim (jaz8ee)

imported_n/a
06-05-2004, 04:42
Get there early (about 6.30 pm) otherwise you will find it hard to park. Friday night is classic car night and Saturday is the modern custom cars - a bit like you see in The Fast and the Furious. My 11 year old watches all these movies and I have had to sit through them time and time again.

We were over in February and went to both nights. The classic cars were amazing and my son really enjoyed the custom cars - all that neon. It was the first time he has ever seen NOS in the flesh so to speak. We walked around and looked at all the cars and you will find that the owners are more than willing to chat about their cars - they are their pride and joy. We stood talking to one man for ages and he was telling us all about his racing career. Really fascinating. We can't wait to go back again - it will never be the same experience as they get different cars entering all the time.

The shops in old town are really nice too - I would recommend the whole experience. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Caroline

Ray&Sarah
06-05-2004, 11:52
We went to Old Town but missed the actual cruise. However we did take a look at all the cars and the owners are more than willing to tell you all about them. They are kept in such tip top condition, it was great.:)

chrisj
06-05-2004, 12:12
We are going to this, this year

wilfy
06-05-2004, 13:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by casi
Get there early (about 6.30 pm) otherwise you will find it hard to park. Friday night is classic car night and Saturday is the modern custom cars - a bit like you see in The Fast and the Furious.

Caroline
[/quote]

Caroline,
it's the other way around. Friday night is 1973-1980's car's and Saturday night is the pre 1973's + custom cars based on these types.

We went on a saturday in april, somehing like 178 cars. I agree get there early and especially if it's been wet during the day, as you get to park on something solid. Later they use a big field to the rear of the area. Can get a bit squidgy after a storm.

If you like a sense of adventure try g-force drag racing simulator. 0-100 in 2 seconds.
Looks like they use a steam launch similar to aircraft carrier's !

imported_n/a
06-05-2004, 13:52
Doh!

Women and cars - they don't mix.

Sorry I though the flashy neon NOS ones were on Saturday.

When you are over there its really hard to remember what day it is. One day floats into the next.

Casi

dbrook
06-05-2004, 14:11
Here is the link which gives more details of the car cruises on Friday and Saturday night.

http://www.old-town.com/carshows.htm

amy
06-05-2004, 14:43
They have also started doing bikes mid week ( cant remember if it tue or thur but it is on the wall near to the entry office)
They do all the classic harleys, a good night out for bike enthusiasts.
Myself I think Saturday is the best night,the classic cars, then we always go to Flippers, little pizza place just behind the giant catapult.

chrisj
06-05-2004, 14:50
Think id prefer the Bike one

Trina
06-05-2004, 18:43
Hi all

Went on a Sat night a couple of weeks ago. Got timings right for a change!
Arrived at 5 but parked down near some shops on 192 and walked down. There were hundreds of cars - even out in the back field it was packed. Spent ages looking at the amazing cars. Walked back up to Damones - had our evening meal - highly recommended. (had to wait though would advise to book when you arrive earlier) Came out of meal walked across to kerb side in good time for parade which started at the other end of street at 8.30. (I think?) Walked back to car and home - avoiding all the crowds and cars all trying to leave and get out on to the 192 at the same time!!

Not to be missed

Trina[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

lindajo
07-05-2004, 03:05
Jaz8ee

If you are a serious motorhead go to Old Town for the Saturday night cruise, upwards of 300 cars mainly good quality Hot Rods. At the cruise you will find a stand selling Mick Skelly's Cruise News magazine which is a mine of information on Florida cruise nights, race meetings and car shows. There are numerous dragstrips, oval tracks and mudbogs within easy reach of Kissimmee. DM me if you require any further details on this.

Lindajo

ps the Bike Night on a Thursday is worth a visit also.

chrisj
07-05-2004, 03:12
Cheers

Will go on a thursday night as im more into bikes

Pluto
08-05-2004, 21:58
Does anyone know if the bikes are modern or custom.
The men in our party will probably want to be there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night![msnoo]

chrisj
09-05-2004, 01:47
Would think they would be custom, but hopefully someone can confirm that.

lindajo
09-05-2004, 03:01
The bikes at Old Town are a fair mix from customs to cruisers through to rice rockets! All well turned out and mainly ridden in jeans, tee shirts and sunglasses. If you call at any Harley Davidson dealer they have on the counter or near the door, various free magazines with details of bike events, shows, runs etc around the area. There is a Harley Davidson dealer on the 192 just past OBT on the left.
Lindajo

chrisj
09-05-2004, 03:19
Thanks for that, so thats a Thursday night arranged for me :)

Wife can go shopping and leave me in heaven

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-05-2004, 12:16
I think John would prefer Thursday as he is now a confirmed "Orange County Chopper" Fan. He's even got a T shirt or two to proove it:D

Sarah

chrisj
09-05-2004, 16:24
:D:D:D:D:D

jaz8ee
10-05-2004, 04:32
thanks to all for replies and all good info, its our first time so we're all getting excited now can't wait. Now how do i arrange shipping back to scotland??? Oh well isn't that handy i'm in the airfreight business !!!![8D]:)