PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you been to Florida ?

george
03-05-2004, 04:13
It seems most people who go to Florida love it and go back. How many times have you gone?

adh619
03-05-2004, 04:25
George, we have been to Florida 4 times (to the States lot more) we fell in love with the State and decide to tale the plunge with a STR holiday home. We plan to retire there when we reach that age but visit lots more between then and now

T&G

george
03-05-2004, 04:29
Don't you find that you discover new places and thing to do on every visit. it is not just the 'Parks', as great as they are.

trevlad
03-05-2004, 04:30
you still up george?

we've been 3 times 1988,1998, 2003 and hopefully 15 days time for our str visit.

keep the great help and info coming.respect to the expert!

george
03-05-2004, 04:35
I can't sleep Trevor
Thanks for your quote! Glad to hear someone loves me as I was about to top myself (Thats where they put the sleeping pills!!) Seriously though I have been going over since 1977 and have now topped 28 visits for holidays. There are so many new places to find. I do go to many other destinations but never tire of Florida.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
you still up george?

we've been 3 times 1988,1998, 2003 and hopefully 15 days time for our str visit.

keep the great help and info coming.respect to the expert!
[/quote]

luckylady
03-05-2004, 04:46
Hi George
15 times in total in the last 10 years, but been all over the states I would live there if I could how about you?
Barbara

george
03-05-2004, 04:53
Hi Barbara
That is a 1.5 ratio per year!
I did live in for a while up in the Mid West and worked as a soccer coach.I loved the way of life.Also in Lake Mary, Fla.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
Hi George
15 times in total in the last 10 years, but been all over the states I would live there if I could how about you?
Barbara
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
03-05-2004, 13:06
Hi George,

We have been to Florida 6 times in all, and have also been to New York and California. Ray visits all the time with work to other areas in the States and would love to move there, he loves their way of life. We are plannng a trip to New York, Niagra and Washington this year.

We would love to retire to Florida as well but at the moment know it is impossible as they will not allow it.[msnsad]

Lets hope they change the rules soon.:)

Calamity Jane
03-05-2004, 13:19
We go four or five times a year, went for the first time 17 years ago and have never looked back, we always went to California as my husband ( Mark ) used to live there, so it used to be a bit of a pilgrimage, but I much prefer Florida, a completely different pace of life. California is too big to see everything you want to see, not to mention its a heck of a long flight.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-05-2004, 13:26
We've been too many times to think of - we go on average 2-3 times a year.

Ray&Sarah
03-05-2004, 13:29
Ray would love to see San Francisco amd as its his 40th next year we are planning a trip, minus the kids not their sort of holiday, no theme parks.:D

Calamity Jane
03-05-2004, 13:42
If you do go there, definitely make sure you go to Alcatraz, it is fantastic and extremely spooky, when we were there we met one of the last cons that was "residing" there (Leon Whitey Thompson) believe it or not he was a really nice man but had been a real wrong 'un' in his younger days. When you do the actual tour round the prison you have a tape and headphones and they have some of the wardens and prisoners talking on it, he is one of them. Kids would really love that.:)

Floridalover
03-05-2004, 13:56
I'm going back to Florida on friday, my 52nd trip in the last 4 years! 52 times is helped by the fact I have family in Miami and have lived in Miami for nearly 2 years on and off. Still, its not enough for my liking[8D][8D]

Ray&Sarah
03-05-2004, 13:59
We are envious Matt! Not going to our villa until October.[msnsad]

Floridalover
03-05-2004, 14:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
Ray would love to see San Francisco amd as its his 40th next year we are planning a trip, minus the kids not their sort of holiday, no theme parks.:D
[/quote]

I was in San Francisco on Tues and Wednesday last week. Its a fabulous city. It wasn't my first visit but every time I go I discover something new and I never want to leave. The weather was great too, it can be a bit miserable sometimes, but when its good its really good. I would recommend Alcatraz,Fishermans Wharf (a good hotel base) a city tour to see the best buildings and of course Golden Gate bridge. You've also got Lake Tahoe, Nappa valley and lots of scenery.
Have fun:)

george
03-05-2004, 14:13
Matt
You must have constant jet lag!
SF is fantastic. We stayed at the Raddison on Fishermans Wharfe. Alcatraz send a chill down your back. Try to go late in the day as you seem to have the added chill of the sun going down and the wind coming up! Try the clam chowder in sour dow bread...heaven!

Ray&Sarah
03-05-2004, 14:18
We would definately have to do Alcatraz and have been recommended by others to stay at Fishermans wharf, the Radisson sounds good as we have stayed at ones before and they are usually lovely hotels. The GOlden Gate Bridge has got to be top of our list though.[msnsmile2]

Floridalover
03-05-2004, 14:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
Matt
You must have constant jet lag!
SF is fantastic. We stayed at the Raddison on Fishermans Wharfe. Alcatraz send a chill down your back. Try to go late in the day as you seem to have the added chill of the sun going down and the wind coming up! Try the clam chuder in sour dow bread...heaven!
[/quote]

I do, and you dont get used to it, I dont care what anyone says ! Infact, I'm late, I'm off to Heathrow now, flying to Chicago and Minneapolis in 2 hours[msnscared]
Orlando on friday.......Yippee !

I got some great pics of the GGBridge at sunset on tuesday from Fishermans Wharf where all the seals are. Unfortuantely, they are too large to post and I dont have time to crop them down. You can walk onto GGBridge. I walked over it and its fantastic, better than walking on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Its enormous.
Anyway.......I'm going to get shouted at by Check-in for being late....again[:p]

andreah
03-05-2004, 14:50
We have been to Florida once..... and look how expensive that was, we bought a house!!

Andrea

Tracy
03-05-2004, 15:27
We have been going at least twice a year for 13 years now ! We are currently on countdown until the 20th May, when we fly, then again on the 10th October. Gives us something to look forward to and if you book flights well in advance you can get some really good deals.

wrpac00
03-05-2004, 17:06
We have been slow starters:-

1998 - California & Vegas
2002 (twice)
2003 (twice)

Paul

adh619
03-05-2004, 17:38
I can recommend the drive from San Fran to LA - the scenic route is worth doing at least once in a life time !!

We are back again in Oct to the East Coast (LA, SF & LV) for my mother's 60th !

Tony

blott
03-05-2004, 18:12
That was our ambition Tony but unfortunately the road was closed by mud slides when we were there and we had to take the very unscenic route inland... :(

george
03-05-2004, 18:14
The coast views are great at sunset. Stop of half way between LA and SF. We did the big tour loop last June. 2800 miles in 2 weeks. But we planned it well and had a great time<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by adh619
I can recommend the drive from San Fran to LA - the scenic route is worth doing at least once in a life time !!If you do the loop route check on the weather and either go inland (clockwise) or the cost route first (anticlockwise). In June there are lots of mist and fog on the coast and the temperature comes down.

We are back again in Oct to the East Coast (LA, SF & LV) for my mother's 60th !

Tony
[/quote]

zerotone
03-05-2004, 20:43
First visit in 1987 then took sister and her hubby 1989, again in 1991, back with son aged 4 in 1999, again in 2000, 2003 and 2004. Bought villa end of 2003. Between the years of 1991 and 1999 visited other parts of US - 3 weeks driving across US following route 66, from Chicago(one of my favourite cities) to LA then up coast to San Francisco. Also been to Las Vegas twice and Hawaii.

Jane

adh619
03-05-2004, 20:53
Blott - bad luck try and get it in sometime - we stopped over in Santa Barbara (great trendy town) and enjoyed the sunshine and coast

T

blott
03-05-2004, 21:22
We did a tour - SF, stopped over in Monterey, LA, Grand Canyon, Arizona, Painted Desert, Las Vegas and then back to LA and unfortunately we won't be going to California again. :(

george
03-05-2004, 22:35
Monterey seemed to have a lot of Brit pubs/bars. I wonder why?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
We did a tour - SF, stopped over in Monterey, LA, Grand Canyon, Arizona, Painted Desert, Las Vegas and then back to LA and unfortunately we won't be going to California again. :(
[/quote]

treena
03-05-2004, 23:29
It will be my 7th visit this this year. Haven't been since 1996 and I am so excited:D On the downside this is the first time I've had to foot the bill! Now that I'm married with child and a regular income mum and dad don't see any reason to pay for my holidays[V] I wonder why that is!:D

chrisj
04-05-2004, 00:05
We have been too mnay times to remember, but this year is potentially our last :( for a while
as we want to visit other places (australia, soth africa etc)

But as Arnie says

I'll be back [8D][8D]

Ray&Sarah
04-05-2004, 01:08
Lucky you Chrisj!:)

chrisj
04-05-2004, 02:13
Just want to see a bit more of the world before we get too old to enjoy it

chrizzy100
04-05-2004, 02:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
We have been too mnay times to remember, but this year is potentially our last :( for a while

But as Arnie says

I'll be back [8D][8D]
[/quote]

I'm hoping to go to Oz to spend time with my toyboy next year.....well OK hes my best friend really.....[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]......thats our cover story and I'm sticking to it....hehehehe
Its not a place I've really wanted to go....but my friends who have been there keep on and on about the place.....and seeing that I have free bed and board I thought why not.....
[msnsmile2]

chrisj
04-05-2004, 02:35
Go for it, Wife has a cousin there and so we have promised ourselves a trip, only thing putting
us off is the long flight.

Also, have an ex work friend who now lives out there as well so we have 2 reasons to go.

carolmc
04-05-2004, 23:45
Last trip - Easter- made 23 trips since 1991 and we have another one coming this year YIPEEEE:D

cherry
05-05-2004, 02:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj

But as Arnie says

I'll be back [8D][8D]
[/quote]

I'm hoping to go to Oz to spend time with my toyboy next year.....well OK hes my best friend really.....[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]......thats our cover story and I'm sticking to it....hehehehe
Its not a place I've really wanted to go....but my friends who have been there keep on and on about the place.....and seeing that I have free bed and board I thought why not.....
[msnsmile2]
[/quote].

Been going to Florida since `88 almost twice a year most years in between having half my family in Pittsburgh where we made 3 visits I have friends in OZ who we visited last year ,what a place as good as USA any day but without Disney .Go to OZ and enjoy life ,we live to travel ,I work to live for travel not live for work .We are spending the kids inheritance and enjoying it .[8D]

LesleyB
05-05-2004, 17:18
We went to Florida for the first time in 1999 when our kids were 4, and 9 months and loved it so much that we have been back every year since - we have only been back from there for two days and I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms and am itching to go back - roll on October.[msnsmile]

There is always somewhere new to go and lots of untried places to eat!

Lesley

RubAyr
05-05-2004, 17:58
Went for the first time in June 2002 and loved it so much.
Everyone tells you how good it us but you need to go before
you believe them. I can't imagine going anywhere else now !

Went back June 2003, March 2004 and going on our 4th visit
in September this year:D

bridget
05-05-2004, 20:31
5 times.

I first went to Florida with my parents when I was 10. We stayed in Miami and went up to Orlando for 3 days to visit Disney etc. (1982) Oh so long ago now.. [msnsmile2]

Went again for honeymoon in 1995 to Kissimmee. Then again, 1996, 98 and 99. Then we're back again this July and can't wait! :D:D:D

Ray&Sarah
05-05-2004, 22:35
[quote]Originally posted by RubAyr
Went for the first time in June 2002 and loved it so much.
Everyone tells you how good it us but you need to go before
you believe them. I can't imagine going anywhere else now !

Have to agree with you there, we have been to other places in between visits but no where compares that we have found yet anyway.

wrpac00
06-05-2004, 21:13
We started in San Francisco and then drove the coast road (route 1 I believe) on our way to Vegas but there was a fog bank so we did not see anything and the wife hated it because of the sheer drop on her side. We stayed overnight somewhere ????????? and then went onto Vegas, after that we went to San Diego and then spent 9 days at a place called Huntington Beach (apparently the birthplace of surfing) which was about 45 mins from LA.

Paul

Trina
07-05-2004, 00:37
Our love affair with the U.S started in 1988. We spent 5 weeks touring with 2 young children. We drove, they slept!!.. We flew to Hawaii then to L.A. drove up the coast road, Monterey, San Francisco, Yosemeti Park, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Vegas, Phoenix, Scotsdale and back to L.A before flying across to New York for a few days then sadly home. We have travelled widely ever since but we still have to keep going back to Florida now to the ponit that we have bought a home there.:D
Trina

Newhomebuyer
08-05-2004, 01:38
When I arrived here on Tuesday it was for the 16th time. This time is special because I am in our own home.[msnsmile2]
I fell in love with Florida on our first visit in 1988. Why did we not buy earlier [msnmad]?
I have family in New Jersey so have been to New York several times as well.

pieman6
09-05-2004, 14:23
We fell in love with the place on our honeymoon. Also spent my 30th Birthday there and plan to spend my 40th there as well. The only draw back for Florida is that i dont like Thunder storms and they seem to have one or two of these sometimes 14 when i go.

chrizzy100
09-05-2004, 21:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman6
We fell in love with the place on our honeymoon. Also spent my 30th Birthday there and plan to spend my 40th there as well. The only draw back for Florida is that i dont like Thunder storms and they seem to have one or two of these sometimes 14 when i go.
[/quote]

I love the storms......until they get right on top of the house..

chrisj
09-05-2004, 21:44
The best storms we have ever seen have been in Florida, im into photography and love taking
piccies of lightning etc, best ever were over the Gulf coast in 1988. Have a huge one hanging
up in our hall

Drives the wife mad, when I stop the car, jump out in the pouring rain and start taking
pictures :D

Ray&Sarah
10-05-2004, 20:09
We will never forget the thunderstorm we had two years ago whilst staying in St.Petes. The thunder and lightening happened at the exact same time and everyone that was out on their balconies watching it coming in from the sea shot back into their rooms really quickly. Our youngest hid in the wardrobe as he was convinced it was going to hit the hotel. It was the biggest and loudest storm i have ever seen.:D

stuart
10-05-2004, 20:21
How many times have we been to Florida[?]

Simple answer - not nearly enough[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
We got back yesterday and are having withdrawal symptoms already[msncry]
Roll on September!![msnsmile2]

Stuart & Kim

brizzle
11-05-2004, 01:04
4 times
December 1998/January 1999 Honeymoon minus yet to exist sprogs
December 2002 - just under 3 year old and 4 month old in tow
December 2003 - add 12 months to the little ones
April/May 2004 - Yup...again, villa for the first time

November 2004, next trip

Brizzle

weemac
14-05-2004, 01:54
This June will be our third year in a row - just cant face going anywhere else - love the place,people,weather,food and villa!! Just watching Holiday from Hell on tv featuring hols in europe at the moment and i am sooo glad that we are going to Florida again this year![msnsmile][msnsmile] Just 6 weeks to go - cant wait.

Kissyme
14-05-2004, 14:29
January 2005 will be our 5th time, as the kids get older and we pay for less of them we plan to visit more often, the main problem with Florida is there is no-where else I`d rather be so I`m in a constant state of yearning and anticipation [msnsad]

Nostromo
17-05-2004, 14:03
I have been there 5 times, including the recent visit. 1991, 1995, 1998, 2000-01 and 2004. The 2000-01 visit was to be for 3 weeks but had to be cut short halfway due to personal reasons.

shepaul
21-05-2004, 02:36
Hi,
When we go in October, it will be our fourth time, first time renting a villa though.
The first time was in 1997 when we got married out there, and thought it would be a one off trip. In 1999 we decided to revisit the scene of the crime, having been well and truly hooked. We then couldn't resist going back in 2001.
Having been involved with the forum for a while now, can't express how much we're looking forward to staying in a "home" instead of a hotel,and how much we enjoy reading and partaking in the comments in this site.

Paul and Sheila:D

Cruella DeVilla
25-05-2004, 23:42
At least twice a year, we do Orlando, Miami, The Keys, Fort Myers and love it all. We have been all over the States and my favourite place is New Orleans, no Memphis, no San Francisco, no San Deigo, or was it New York..........I LOVE IT ALL, BUT THE SUN IS IN FLORIDA ALL YEAR ROUND!!!So we decided to take the plunge and bought a big villa at the end of last year which hopefully shall be reasy around Sept. Going out to see it next week............hooray!
CDV[:X]