PDA

View Full Version : Easter or Spring Bank?

Colin
03-05-2004, 01:19
Assuming that I've got it right that Spring Bank is the end of May Bank Holiday,...

Please can anyone advise as to whether it's better to go to Orlando/Disney either the Easter break, or the second May bank holiday?

I understand that Easter is v.expensive for travel and that the parks are packed. However weather should be better at end of May, however only one week off school, rather than two at easter....

Anyone have any experience as I'm not sure. We went in October last time (first time), but my job will not allow that amount of time off at that time of year now ......? [msnscared]

Thanks

Floridalover
03-05-2004, 02:18
Hi Colin, welcome to the forum. Easter tends to be a busy period because you have the foreign easter holiday traffic as well as the American spring breakers. End of May will still be a busy time though, it's especially popular for Brits due to the halfterm/Spring bank break.
Weather wise, May will be hotter but with heat comes humidity and frequent thiunderstorms. These only last a short time though and they tend to have a nice cooling effect on the day.
So the long and short of it is........either time is good for weather, easter is probably more busy though.
Hope that helps:)

steph_goodrum
03-05-2004, 13:43
Depending on what set up your locals school use, next April could be a good time to consider , if they are using the fixed 2 week break during the first 2 full weeks of April (ours dont start doing that until 2006) next year Easter will be a long weekend at the end of March and then the children will go back to school for a few days before they start the holiday proper (I think it will soon become known as Spring Break as in America) I priced up some flights for someone the other day for 2-16th April and they came back at under £300 per person with Virgin.

steph_goodrum
03-05-2004, 13:44
The other consideration of course is what age your children are and what is happening in their timetable as to when it would be best to go. If they are younger it wont really make much difference if they miss a week in May but if they are doing ther gcse's etc then they will need revision time etc.

Claire M
03-05-2004, 16:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
The other consideration of course is what age your children are and what is happening in their timetable as to when it would be best to go. If they are younger it wont really make much difference if they miss a week in May but if they are doing ther gcse's etc then they will need revision time etc.
[/quote]

Our childrens primary school forbids holidays anytime in May, as there are SATS and also general assessments.

Cruella DeVilla
15-06-2004, 06:40
AVOID SPRING BREAK!
CDV[}:)]

Bazamor
15-06-2004, 15:11
Colin
spring break for the usa varies from region to region and lasts approx from mid feb to easter. We have been out at easter and at end of may, end of may is much quieter and weather generally a little better (although the weather at easter this year was great).Flight prices are also better may than at easter.:)

Carla
15-06-2004, 15:15
When we have our Spring Bank Holiday/Whitsun (usually last Monday in May) the Americans also have Memorial Day, so it's still very busy at the Parks.

Nostromo
15-06-2004, 15:15
If you want to make the best of the weather and crowds, why not go in between Easter and Spring Hols? The crowds start dropping a week or so after Easter and the weather acceptably warm till mid-May. But of course, fitting those dates around the kid's school breaks might be a problem.