PDA

View Full Version : discovery cove

pt cruiser
02-05-2004, 13:29
Hi everyone, this is a great site, we have been to florida many times but we've learnt so much from reading this site i cant wait till november!!
i would love to go discovery cove but i'm on the large side do they cater for us? i.e floats ect.also we have an autisic son who's 21 who i think would love it, are they trained for special needs? the trainers not the dolphins!!
Thanks
Tag

bridget
02-05-2004, 13:42
Hi there Tag

Go to the Discovery Cove website and click on "enjoy" and then "contact". You can send them a quick email of your concerns. They answered mine very quickly - they're really helpful.

Have a great time! ;)

Ruth
02-05-2004, 16:12
I can't help you with the special needs but my husband is on the large size ;) and they certainly had a wet suit to fit him[8D]

davidandsarah
04-05-2004, 01:39
Hi Tag

we were out there for Christmas and took our 12year old son (who has aspergers syndrome) to Discovery Cove on Christmas Eve.

we found the staff very helpful. He swam with the dolphins and loved the snorkelling all day. The only problem was the avairy, but that is a separate section and can be missed if anyone doesn't like birds flying around them.

There is a high staff to guest ratio allowing them to spend more time with everyone

i am sure that if you emailed them they would answer any concerns you have

Maitland
13-05-2004, 06:46
Hi Tag,

I cannot answer about special needs, but will echo the encouragement to email DC and ask as many questions as you can. I found the folks there to be very helpful. As for size, my teenage son is 6'4" and about 250 lbs. He had no trouble finding a wetsuit jacket to fit.

I recall reading last year that DC does provide a very limited number of balloon tire wheelchairs, but I don't know if that would help you. I was having some mobility problems when we first visited DC (we've been twice) and had a little trouble walking across the soft sand. Because of the amount of soft sand, a regular wheelchair with its narrow tires would not be feasible there, IMHO.

Hope you have a wonderful visit.

Maitland

pt cruiser
05-06-2004, 19:39
Thanks everyone, i contacted discovery cove, you were right they were very helpful. We have booked a swim in november,don't know how is more excited me or william, he's walking round with a picture of a dolphin and a big smile on his face.
Thanks again
Tag

spraing
05-06-2004, 19:51
Hi,

We've been to Discovery cove twice and it's excellent at catering for EVERYONE. Don't miss the lunch which is very good. If you don't like the hard sell watch out for the huts they take you in to buy the memorable pictures - got wearing on the second visit.

Book in the UK well before you go - otherwise risk disappointment
use their website.

enjoy

Kissyme
08-06-2004, 14:49
Have to agree about the lunch very nice in fact one of the nicest meals we had.

zx6r
18-06-2004, 01:41
We did D.C last year and I smiled the entire day.
Costly for photo's & DVD but probably worth it for the memories if you only do it once

daxon
18-06-2004, 02:13
I have limited mobility but found staff very helpful. We were very lucky as a special area normally reserved for large parties was not being used so they offered it to us. That meant that while the children played in the water ALL DAY! I could stay in the shade & paddle when I wanted to. A very special day, im sure you'd love it.
Dawn
p.s. take an underwater camera with you. Saves on some expensive pics.
pps Dont put on sun tan cream before you get there- it has to be their own special stuff provided free of charge because it doesnt harm the sea life.

pt cruiser
24-06-2004, 17:04
Could anyone tell me do you have to be able to swim to do the dophin swim, hubby is a non swimmer.
thanks
Tag

Joolz
25-06-2004, 22:21
Here is the info I got from customer relations when I made a similar enquiry a couple of months ago....

We do provide wet suits and/or swim vests, which we ask our guests to wear while they are in the water. The sizes go up to a 12 XL.

Our photography department has several different photo packages, however the individual price for a 5x7 photo is $17.03 US dollars and the video is $63.89 US dollars.

Joolz

pigletsplace2003
23-07-2004, 02:51
$63 dollars is not a lot for the memories you will keep ( only £35 )