PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Olde Town activities

espritdave
30-04-2004, 20:07
For the next four Sundays, Old Town will roll back the clock when it is host for oldies rock 'n' roll concerts.

Old Town's 'Fifty Years of Rock 'n' Roll Celebration' will feature bands performing music from the 1950s and '60s on the Main Stage.

The free concerts will be from 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday and May 9 and May 16, and from 3 to 7 p.m. May 23.

'We wanted to highlight the 50th anniversary of rock 'n' roll. We hope to do this every year in May,' said Ingrid A. Berkley, Old Town's marketing and promotions director.

The May 23 show, a 'Battle of the Bands,' will be presented by 100.3 FM (WEBG) from 3 to 7 p.m.

'Five bands will compete, and the winner will get the chance to play at other events,' Berkley said.

Sunday's concert will showcase Danny and The Juniors, featuring Joe Terry. 'At The Hop' was one of the band's biggest hits, along with 'Rock and Roll Is Here to Stay' and 'Pony Express.'

The Dukes of Harmony, a local do-wop group, will be the opening act.

'They usually dress the part, in black jeans and white T-shirts and leather jackets,' Berkley said.

The celebration continues May 9 with Reunion and May 16 with Still Kickin'. Members of both bands hail from Central Florida.

'Still Kickin' is one of the truest '50s and '60s bands,' Berkley said.

Little Darlin's, a venue that featured 1950s and '60s music at Old Town, closed in 1994.

'Old Town is known as an oldies kind of place. Patrons still ask us what happened to Little Darlin's, so we thought these concerts would fit right in,' Berkley said.

Old Town also has classic car shows Friday and Saturday nights.

bellaepovera
01-05-2004, 13:25
Thanks for this info Dave as I will pass this on to my parents as they love the 5os and 60s music..as do I!! Wish i was there!!