PDA

View Full Version : to live in orlando

anns-family
26-04-2004, 18:39
hello everyone my name is ann and i am new to this i have neaver been on anything like this before.
i am a lady of 51 years young i have 2 daughters and a granddaughter we have been going to orlando for about 12 years now and we love it, it was a dream of ours to move out there one day but while my father was alive as we would not leave him but when we lost him last year i then throught it was time to look about moving over there i could not belive it when to my desmay they dont want hard working people so if any one out there can help i no you have all heard it before and you will here it all again on day but if anyone can help i have looked at every way i can think of
thanks ann y[msncry]

DMC
26-04-2004, 18:51
Hi Ann

Welcome to the forum.

Like you we would love to move out to Florida, it is very much our second home.

However as you will have gathered from the various Posts / Threads on this site, it is not easy to up sticks and move.

There are people better placed than me to offer you advice on how best to make the move, many people have and they will tell you that holidaying in florida is one thing, but living there is quite another.

I short, you will need to get yourself a visa ( of which there are various versions )but getting a visa doesn't mean that you will get a green card.

Even if you yourself get a card then there is the question of the rest of your family, as they are not certain of getting to stay in the US even if you can.

The easiest way, if there is such a thing is to buy / invest in a business, but even then there are certain levels of investment that you have to come up with in order to try for a Green Card.

There is a whole section on the Forum about moving to Florida and you should find a lot of good information.

Best of luck.

Ann-Marie
26-04-2004, 19:28
Hi Ann

Welcome to the Forum.

I think most of us would love to live in Florida a some point.

Hope your dream comes true!:)

I will continue to dream - maybe one day....

chrizzy100
26-04-2004, 22:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anns-family
hello everyone my name is ann and i am new to this i have neaver been on anything like this before.
i am a lady of 51 years young i have 2 daughters and a granddaughter we have been going to orlando for about 12 years now and we love it, it was a dream of ours to move out there one day but while my father was alive as we would not leave him but when we lost him last year i then throught it was time to look about moving over there i could not belive it when to my desmay they dont want hard working people so if any one out there can help i no you have all heard it before and you will here it all again on day but if anyone can help i have looked at every way i can think of
thanks ann y[msncry]
[/quote]

Hi...well first off....what have you done so far to look into moving.....do you have the money to buy a company if thats the way you need to go......are your daughters coming with you... if so they will have to be under 21 if coming over on your visa......the younger the better it can take years to get a greencard.....and if they timeout...they could be sent back to the UK.....
Most jobs can be filled by Americans....and right now a lot of hard working Americans are out of work.....my daughter is finding it hard to get a new job after being away for a few months.......

Can I ask what made you want to live in the USA....its nice to have some idea of the reasons behind a big move like this......because sometimes what you are trying to leave behind in England....is just the same this side of the pond....but without healthcare....
I know we keep being told that the few of us who answer posts like this make it seems very hard to get here......but it is......its also a very costly place to live.....household bills can be unbelievable.....
I think you need the whole picture.....good or bad....
:)

esprit
27-04-2004, 08:31
I dont see any way in which you could come and bring your two daughters and a grandaughter with you. If you come, any child under 18 or under 21 if at college can accompany. I suppose you could buy a business in partnership with one daughter but that leaves the other daughter out and please be aware of what may happen to your granddaughter at age 18 or 21. Also please be aware how hard life in the business world here is and how competitive and how many hours you would need to put in in a working week. Coming here on holiday is lovely. Working here is something else totally. I know. I bought the tee shirt.

anns-family
27-04-2004, 13:55
hi everybody thanks for all your advice my daughters are the ages of 33 she is a nursey nurse working with kids 3months to 5years, my other daughter is 22 and is at university in wales, my granddaughter is nearly 10 years old who thinks she is going to be the next britney. i no it would not be the same living there as going on hols but just the same we have always dreamt of living there i think the good would out way the bad nearly every one that you here about dont want to come back we think it would be a better life if we could get a chance if it did not work out we can always come back
ann y

chrizzy100
27-04-2004, 17:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anns-family
hi everybody thanks for all your advice my daughters are the ages of 33 she is a nursey nurse working with kids 3months to 5years, my other daughter is 22 and is at university in wales, my granddaughter is nearly 10 years old who thinks she is going to be the next britney. i no it would not be the same living there as going on hols but just the same we have always dreamt of living there i think the good would out way the bad nearly every one that you here about dont want to come back we think it would be a better life if we could get a chance if it did not work out we can always come back
ann y

[/quote]

My friend is an English childs nurse and found it very hard to get work....and when she did it was very low paid.....she had a work permit while waiting for her greencard to come.... and is now retraining as an American nurse........
I've seen childcare businesses for sale in Orlando......but I don't know how easier it would be to get all the permits to run one if you're from England.....they need background checks......which can take forever.....
If your daughter is at university.....she may find work in the States at a later date if she has the right degree.......

prettymoon
28-04-2004, 05:06
Hi Ann
Just to let you know we have just moved to Flordia by buying a business here we are still going through the process but have managed to buy the business and a Ranch here and are just waiting to close on the house.
Things are different here but very fair everyone has to pay taxes and it help to know everyone does as well.
You would be best to contact an attorney in the usa and get them to do the E2 Visa for you I you want more info on that send me a private message and I will send that information to you.
It is hard work to get a visa but It can be done if you are sure its what you want. We have been working on ours for 2 years doing lots of investigating will we found the best way then it was quick. I wish you all the luck in the world it is a wonderful place to live. taxes and all

anns-family
28-04-2004, 19:28
thanks for all your advice if you have a e2 visa does that mean you cannot get a greencard and do you have to keep the same business always or can you change would my daughter and i get one together and how much would we have to spend each or could she get one and me move with her to look after my granddaughter or is that not aloud it is so mading to see lots coming in this country and getting every thing but when your a hard worker you can not move anywhere unless you have lots of money or buy a business and they can deport you
ann y

Seminole
11-05-2004, 02:14
Ann, are you aware that many native Floridians do NOT want to live in their state year round. The summers with high humidity and heat can be very brutal. Many natives leave for the summer months to northern states such as Maine to enjoy a cooler summer.

To a Floridian, winter at home and summer in the Cotswolds sounds perfect. It's all a matter of perspective. Why not consider wintering in Florida like many UK owners do?

esprit
11-05-2004, 05:17
It is very rare to ever get a green card from E2. It does not lead there and you have to change status to something else. We have heard of ways and means with smoke and mirrors with the help of laterally thinking talented attorneys. But the norm is NO. You do have to keep the business trading. If you stopped trading one business but replaced it with one at least as successful and fulfilling the E2 rules, you may be OK but ask an attorneys opinion. You could go 50% each with a family member on E2. Total investment should be around $100,000. You would not be allowed to accompany an E2 holder as a dependant must be a spouse or child not a parent. The best you could do if you wanted to do that would be 6 months on a B2.
Seminole. the price of housing is prohibitive in the UK. We couldnt afford to keep a base in the UK and one in US and keep moving between the two because of the cost of keeping two homes going. plus prsumably not working in either place as it would be hard to work with that scenario. But I agree about if being ideal if you have plenty of money.

Seminole
27-05-2004, 00:17
Julie, I had an interesting discussion with a UK agent about the growth of manufactured housing in the UK and how it represents an affordable alternative for people who keep their place in Spain but want a "toe-hold" in the UK. Also, could you keep your UK property and simply rent a US property for several months. There are still plenty of reasonably affordable places in Florida that might qualify even though they may not be on the beach or a stone's throw from Disney.