PDA

View Full Version : Green Card Lottery

sully62
24-04-2004, 14:46
Hi to all,
just being reading the criteria for this and I'm eligble to enter the lottery, has any one else tried this method of obtaining a green card, and if so are there any pitfalls going through this process:D:D
Tony

wilfy
24-04-2004, 15:02
Tony,
i assume you are not a uk national then?

sully62
24-04-2004, 15:58
no i'm Irish but living in the england

sully62
24-04-2004, 16:00
sorry that should read "living in England"

wilfy
24-04-2004, 16:18
I had an egyptian friend who was lucky to win a slot from the US lottery, and he has never looked back, so much so i've lost contact with him, i know he went to Houston.

From what i can remember this was done through a US gov website. I think he didn't pay any money albeit i cannot remember exactly. He did not use one of the many web-site's that advertise help for the entry and charge a small fortune for the process.

fllion
15-05-2004, 08:28
Irish ,,with a british passport?

Chris7
15-05-2004, 21:27
What determines eligability? - is it nationality or place of birth?

My nephew has British parents (and a British Passport) but is also American as he was born out there 20+ years ago.

My wife is British (with a British passport) but was born in Lybia - does that make her eligable for the lottery

(although even if she won there's no saying she'd take me[}:)])

chrizzy100
15-05-2004, 22:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Chris7
What determines eligability? - is it nationality or place of birth?

My nephew has British parents (and a British Passport) but is also American as he was born out there 20+ years ago.

My wife is British (with a British passport) but was born in Lybia - does that make her eligable for the lottery

(although even if she won there's no saying she'd take me[}:)])

[/quote]

You can hold duel citizenship in some countries....I not sure if you can in England.....

In the USA....I can have duel citizenship..but I must always travel on my American passport....

flyrr100
06-06-2004, 16:34
I became a US citizen in the early 1990s and was told to renounce my British citizenship.

chrizzy100
06-06-2004, 18:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
I became a US citizen in the early 1990s and was told to renounce my British citizenship.
[/quote]

Its not up to the yanks to tell you to do that..its just part of the the oath of Allegiance
....you make when you become a US citizen....you have to file papers with the Brit Govt to nolonger be a Brit......its what the British Govt has to say on the matter that counts.....the yanks ask you to no longer travel on your Brit passport..not to vote in England...or join the Brit forces.....but you'll always be able to return to England and live there again as a Brit.....until the British Govt tells you otherwise....

ahagan
07-06-2004, 18:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:What determines eligability? - is it nationality or place of birth?

(although even if she won there's no saying she'd take me[/quote]

Eligibility is determined by nationality at the time of application not place of birth. Having said that if your wife has dual nationality she can apply on her Libyan citizenship - British citizens are not eligible.

hurricanesarah
20-09-2004, 01:21
What stopped English people being eligible and is it fair? Will it change?

blott
20-09-2004, 02:48
Because the limit is 55,000 people per year and we already send that number over on other visas.

hurricanesarah
20-09-2004, 03:00
How do people from countries like Haiti do it??

chrizzy100
20-09-2004, 03:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hurricanesarah
How do people from countries like Haiti do it??
[/quote]

People from places like England.......Germany.......France..etc...are for the most part to well educated to go for the greencard lottery......thats for people from countries where getting a good education may not be easy.....its to make sure the USA has a mix of people from everywhere and every race........

esprit
20-09-2004, 06:35
Joke isnt it? Moreover the US citizens think it is as well. They dont have any objection to the likes of us here but most cannot understand why green cards are being given to uneducated people who dont speak the language and often end up being a drain in the state.

Ahagan, wull you please substantiate your statement that it is nationality at the time of application not birth which is relevant. My husband is entitled to claim Irish citizenship by descent as his grandfather was Irish but was told by an attorney that that was no use was they were looking for birth in Ireland.

hurricanesarah
21-09-2004, 00:29
I know it's no good bleating but I'm sure that I'm not the only one to think that it's really rather cruel how the Americans feel 'we are overloading' as a Nation on the visas but from whenever I'm in Florida, there are bucket loads of illegally working Spanish and Haiti guys. I really feel that eventually they will make it so difficult and possibly traumatic for the British people to get to their holiday homes, let alone try to invest money and work there, that a lot will eventually have no choice but to pull the plug on their money in Florida and have to back to looking at closer climes.

Considering how England and America are supposed to be such close alliances, it's really strange to me how they feel there are more or less too many of us there anyway. I think they should be clapping their hands, welcoming us more and congratulating us on our investments into not only the property market but the job market too as well as our significant injections of cash while on holiday. I think in the end, they might realize this. We're some way off this I feel right now though.

lexton
21-09-2004, 03:01
My husband and I have just come back from Kissimmee and have found in the 12months that we last visited, that the English language has become the 2nd language,and it is fast becoming like little Puerto Rica.[msnsad]

Ray9
21-09-2004, 20:53
Seems some people forget the full name of the GC lottery

Its the Diversity Lottery
Overview
Each year, the Diversity Lottery (DV) Program makes 55,000 immigrant visas available through a lottery to people who come from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/divvisa.htm

ravtino
22-09-2004, 00:13
I have to agree with Hurricanesarah, we were just reading through this and my husband just said the same - you would not think that the British were allies, I have a friend that is awaiting her green card and they keep changing the date as to when they will know![:0]

esprit
22-09-2004, 06:15
Ray, we all know all that, what we are querying is why they would want them. Especially as most of the south american countries are still eligible in a country being overtun with Spanish speakers from Mexico and the Caribbean.