PDA

View Full Version : Q about visas

leon-marie
22-04-2004, 00:07
Hi, I have been told by thomas cook that any one who has ever been arrested (even if not charged or convicted) has to contact the US embassy to see if they need a visa to be able to gain entry into the US. I need to know if this is true as there is a few people coming with myself and my fiancee to florida to witness us getting married that have been arrested with there being no charges or convictions being made against them and all charges being dropped.. I need to know if this is true because the embassy may just say yes to create more revenue?????

Any info is appreciated.

Many thanks
leon & marie.

Claire M
22-04-2004, 00:16
Hi

If you have ever been arrested and convicted of a criminal offence, even a driving offence for which you had to attend court, you have to apply for a Visa.

I am not sure about charges being dropped, somebody else will answer that one for you.

Why dont you check on the American Embassy website, it does give all relevant information.

leon-marie
22-04-2004, 00:23
Cheers Claire, do u know the website at all??

leon & marie

leon-marie
22-04-2004, 00:39
My younger brother (17) was arrested for criminal damage to a car, which he was summonsed to court which resulted in the judge dismissing the case as the damage to the car was older than the incident and was not connected in any way at all. The judge said the case should not ever have reached court procedings and he is prosecuting the police for this action..!!

My older brother (32) was recently arrested for indecent exposure, but after he was arrested the actual person was arrested three streets away from where my brother lives??
We are currently putting a case against the police for wrongfull arrest for this incident...

would either of these apply????

leon & marie

Claire M
22-04-2004, 02:17
Hi Leon & Marie

Here it is....

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/visaindex.htm

Have a read through and see what you think. There is another thread on here somewhere about Visa and criminal records, do a search on criminal records!

Claire

I have just copied this from the site...

Important: Some travelers may not be eligible to enter the United States visa free under the VWP. These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law), certain serious communicable illnesses, those who have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the visa waiver program. Such travelers must apply for special restricted visas. If they attempt to travel without a visa, they may be refused entry into the United States.

Note: Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified. If the traffic offense occurred while you were in the United States, and you have an outstanding fine against you or your did not attend your court hearing, it is possible there may be a warrant out for your arrest, and you will experience problems when applying for admission into the U.S. Therefore you should resolve the issue before traveling by contacting the court where you were to appear. If you do not know the address of the court then information is available from the Internet at: www.refdesk.com

florida4sun
22-04-2004, 04:46
You need to contact the embassey. I know someoen who sent back from Orlando just because they had been warned by the police (not arrested). Better to get it cleared through the embassey first.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by leon-marie
My younger brother (17) was arrested for criminal damage to a car, which he was summonsed to court which resulted in the judge dismissing the case as the damage to the car was older than the incident and was not connected in any way at all. The judge said the case should not ever have reached court procedings and he is prosecuting the police for this action..!!

My older brother (32) was recently arrested for indecent exposure, but after he was arrested the actual person was arrested three streets away from where my brother lives??
We are currently putting a case against the police for wrongfull arrest for this incident...

would either of these apply????

leon & marie
[/quote]

leon-marie
09-05-2004, 20:38
Cheers to all who have helped us,
We are now going to contact the embassy on this matter..

Cheers

Ann-Marie
09-05-2004, 23:38
Leon & Marie

Hope everything works out well for you!

Ann-Marie:)

fllion
15-05-2004, 08:21
hope it works out
sure it will