PDA

View Full Version : House numbering

firsttimer
19-04-2004, 18:27
We have just got back and were amazed that there are only 2 numbers in each 10!! Where we stayed the only numbers were 41, 47, 51, 57 etc. Does this happen everywhere? I assume it would be silly to think that they have an no. 13s!!

george
19-04-2004, 18:52
This is, as far as i know, to enable a plot to be divided for example and other houses to be erected. Thus no need for 15, 15A, 15B etc The owners could just use the spare numbers not used in the original numbering of the road.

athurstance
19-04-2004, 19:43
Gosh - in our road they have left 10 between each - so 1040 would be next door to 1030 and 1020 - don't think we could squeeze another 1 house in let alone 10.
I always wondered why the numbers on our community were so high - they are all in the 1000s yet there are no where near that many houses in total.

steph_goodrum
19-04-2004, 20:46
Ours are the same and follow no particular order they are on 10 in the 200's on our side of the street but following round the corner of our cul de sac they start in the 300's so there is a difference of about 60 between me and my next door neighbour (I sure hope they dont think they will get 60 houses in there.!)

Ruth
19-04-2004, 21:07
I thought the numbers was something to do with the position of the plot ie. a measurement from a set point? Or maybe I have lost the plot altogether[:I]

Ray&Sarah
19-04-2004, 21:16
Yes Ruth that was what we were told as well. So we must have lost the plot as well.[msnwink]

Ruth
19-04-2004, 21:28
At least I am not alone then:D

Ray&Sarah
20-04-2004, 02:38
Another bit of useless information, although it seems to work! Odd numbered roads in the US travel basically North-South (i.e. US27) whereas even numbers travel East - West. At least that is what I was told by a work friend in the US. It just gets confusing when you have something like the I275, which is basically a ring road.
But generally it works.

firsttimer
21-04-2004, 02:49
Another thing I noticed (seeing as we are on to roads) is that on main roads, the junction numbers (which must have been changed recently I think) coincide more or less with mileage. This means there isn't a 6, 7, 8, 9 etc. You might have 3, 9, 11, then a 45a and 45b. Am I right?

blott
21-04-2004, 03:08
If you mean the I4, that's exactly what they've changed to Firstimer! This was a test and you just passed! [8D]

ctgirlscout
21-04-2004, 03:31
All interstates in the US that run north/south are odd numbers, i.e. I-95, which runs from Maine to Florida. Even numbers run east/west. And most of the interstates do have exits that coincide with the mileage markers. I-4 has recently changed to this system. The ring roads, or beltways, usually go around a city, and connect up with a highway of a similar number. I95 has beltways that are numbered 195, 295, 395, etc.

andreah
21-04-2004, 14:03
Can anyone explain this?

We are buying on High Grove. Our road name is Caribbean Breeze way, there are about 23 properties in the road. Why is our house number to be 16644?

We can't believe the number and have asked to confirm this three times.

Andrea

blott
21-04-2004, 16:41
The reason for the numbering is that there may be other roads in other communities with the same road names (or so I was told!) and the numbers avoid confusion at the Post Office.

So, if that theory's true Andrea, then there should be another Caribbean Breeze somewhere and they pinched all the lower numbers!

steph_goodrum
21-04-2004, 16:56
"Another thing I noticed (seeing as we are on to roads) is that on main roads, the junction numbers (which must have been changed recently I think) coincide more or less with mileage. This means there isn't a 6, 7, 8, 9 etc. You might have 3, 9, 11, then a 45a and 45b. Am I right"

Its so logical when you think about it isn't it, planning a trip is much easier if you can see that you join the I4 at say, junction 58 and where you are going is at junction 78 , you know there is approx 20 miles to the turn off so can judge it more easily.

Quanah
22-04-2004, 00:01
What about the roads that run south to north and west to east?[msnscared][msnwink]
sorry but i couldn't resist[msnsmile]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
Another bit of useless information, although it seems to work! Odd numbered roads in the US travel basically North-South (i.e. US27) whereas even numbers travel East - West. At least that is what I was told by a work friend in the US. It just gets confusing when you have something like the I275, which is basically a ring road.
But generally it works.
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
22-04-2004, 00:43
LOL!:D:D:D

LesleyB
22-05-2004, 11:43
Slightly off subject and not sure whether it is the same on all communities, but on ours all the villa mailboxes are on one side of the street, we were told it was for the convenience of the mailperson as they deliver from the driver's window without getting out of their car.:D

Lesley

Carla
22-05-2004, 12:43
Have you also noticed that when they build a cul-de-sac, they always have a large circular area at the bottom? This is for the postman so that he can easily sweep around to the mail boxes without having to back up or turn round. There's 8 homes in our cul-de-sac and 4 have odd and 4 even numbers - all in the 100s and 10 numbers apart. The first number is 104 which seems a really strange one to start with!!!

I love the way that they build all the roads on a development and put in all the services before they build any homes. It looks a bit strange though until they do start on the houses!! Roads going nowhere!!
:D:D:D

Ray&Sarah
22-05-2004, 13:00
They do that in Portugal as well, we were amazed to come across a beatifully laid out development of roads, with street lights etc. but no houses yet.:)

porky
22-05-2004, 13:30
My home is in a huge cul de sac and there are only 3 houses. The first one is number 2118, and mine the last is number 2126.[?]You tell me. I was born with the pointed ears but I don't posses their logic. :D:D

Jacqui

Quanah
22-05-2004, 15:10
Whats that saying again? oh yeah, "only in America"...
The land of the motor vehicle, where not even the postman is willing to walk[msnwink]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LesleyB
Slightly off subject and not sure whether it is the same on all communities, but on ours all the villa mailboxes are on one side of the street, we were told it was for the convenience of the mailperson as they deliver from the driver's window without getting out of their car.:D

Lesley
[/quote]

Carla
22-05-2004, 15:20
I don't blame him!! I wouldn't walk round to deliver the post either - just imagine 5 or 6 hours, every day, walking in all that heat, not to mention the distances that he'd have to cover.
:D:D

wilfy
22-05-2004, 16:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LesleyB

Lesley
[/quote]

Has anyone noticed that some of the little diddy usps vans are right hand drive? we saw 2 or 3 last time we were out there.

blott
22-05-2004, 18:03
I thought they were all right hand drive? So that the postman can reach the mailboxes without getting out of it.