PDA

View Full Version : points on you licence

Jaynie
18-04-2004, 20:42
Does it matter if you have 3 points on your licence, gained in the UK, for car rental and driving in Florida

blott
18-04-2004, 21:17
If you're licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK, then you're also licensed to do so in the US and the car rental companies take no notice of any points and just make sure that you have a valid and current licence.

If the points got on your licence via being arrested or convicted for a driving (or any other) offence then this affects your ability to use the visa waiver facility. If you have a search, you'll find some previous threads about this.

Jaynie
18-04-2004, 22:28
thanks for that, its just a bog standard 3 points due to speed camera, so thats ok

Ruth
19-04-2004, 00:52
I can confirm this as my husband has accumulated a few points and no one has ever queried them when we have rented cars in the US and the UK:)

Ray&Sarah
19-04-2004, 02:26
I can also confirm, that even with 3 points on my license I have never had a problem with renting a car in America, or Europe.

george
19-04-2004, 02:51
They never look at the car hire desk.

Ana
19-04-2004, 03:34
My Hubby also has points and we have never had a query.

Nostromo
20-04-2004, 02:05
I had 6 points ( a professional hazard, I'm afraid) when I went to New York in June 2002. We hired a car in Brooklyn and no one asked me anything.

Harry and Jayne
19-09-2004, 00:35
I have the new style 2 part UK licence and every time I have rented a car in Florida I only ever hand over the plastic part with the photo on and I have never been asked for the other part which is the bit with all your points etc on!!!

tezz7628
05-10-2004, 12:48
just to take this to the extreme

if you had points and didn't declare it and had an accident would the non declaration cause a problem [msnwink]

blott
05-10-2004, 16:07
Rental companies aren't interested in the least about any points you might have on your licence, just that you are still entitled to drive in the UK, which automatically enables you to drive in the US.

TonyBlenk
14-11-2004, 04:28
I work in the Travel Industry and when I make reservations with Hertz and Avis they now always ask ...
Is the driver over 25? have a clean driving licence? have a credit card in their name? Always best to mention it just in case of an insurance claim!
It's not correct to say Car Hire companies take no notice of points - it's always the responsibility of the driver to mention anything relevant.
Better safe than sorry.

Nostromo
14-11-2004, 13:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by TonyBlenk
I work in the Travel Industry and when I make reservations with Hertz and Avis they now always ask ...
Is the driver over 25? have a clean driving licence? have a credit card in their name? Always best to mention it just in case of an insurance claim!
It's not correct to say Car Hire companies take no notice of points - it's always the responsibility of the driver to mention anything relevant.
Better safe than sorry.
[/quote]

Last year, Charter Travel conned me into booking Car Hire with them instead of this site [msnembarrased]. At the time, I did mention the points that I had on my licence, but the agent said that it did not matter. The Dollar agent at MCO looked at my UK licence including the points, but said nothing.

blott
14-11-2004, 15:05
I don't know about Hertz and Avis (as we never use them in Florida) but Dollar, Alamo and Budget just are not interested in points, unless something's changed in the last few months. Whenever I've asked, I've just been told what I quoted above 'if you're qualified to drive in the UK, then you are qualified to drive in the US' from car rental companies.

My husband had points on his licence and we never even were asked about them when renting a car many times from the above companies, despite the fact that they were clearly marked on his driving licence. which was shown to the car rental desk.