PDA

View Full Version : Where can we get a sterilizer??

jonandviv
18-04-2004, 02:08
We're going to Orlando in June with our (will be) 6 month old. We don't really want to take our sterilzer from home, as it takes up too much room. We were hoping to pick a sterilzer up when we arrived in Orlando, but after going on some of the supermarket websites (walmart, publix) we can't seem to find any at all!! We've even looked on the walgreens site and can find everything but a sterilzer!
Does anyone know where we would definately be able to buy a sterilzer? Many Thanks

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-04-2004, 02:19
We took a supply of sterlizing tablets with us or boiled the bottles in a pan when our children were young. We too could not find the sterlizers or the sterilizing tablets.

We recall you can get a microwave sterlizer in Walt-Mart too.

chrizzy100
18-04-2004, 02:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jonandviv
We're going to Orlando in June with our (will be) 6 month old. We don't really want to take our sterilzer from home, as it takes up too much room. We were hoping to pick a sterilzer up when we arrived in Orlando, but after going on some of the supermarket websites (walmart, publix) we can't seem to find any at all!! We've even looked on the walgreens site and can find everything but a sterilzer!
Does anyone know where we would definately be able to buy a sterilzer? Many Thanks
[/quote]

Try looking up ...... Babies R Us.....in the Orlando area.......

Ruth
18-04-2004, 03:07
I bought a microwave one in the UK, took it over and left it in our villa for guest use. In fact I am now on sterilizer number 2 as I think someone put the first one near somewhere hot and melted the lid:(

markburwood
18-04-2004, 03:16
We used microwavable steriliser bottles from mothercare when we took our 2 month old. Worked very well.:)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-04-2004, 03:23
Reading this we may well have taken over the mirowavable sterilizer from the UK too.

blott
18-04-2004, 03:30
All I can find so far is a microwave one in Target at $29.99 which seems a bit expensive for a holiday!

I can't see any sterilizing fluid or tablets anywhere although if they use the microwave, you wouldn't need them anyway.

I did find some instructions for sterilizing feeders (they call them nursers and teats are nipples) on Eckerds website (for a Gerber nurser) which were

Care: Sanitize nipple prior to first use by placing in an open pan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Clean all parts with hot water and mild detergent, or use top rack of dishwasher. Heating instructions (do not overheat): Place under hot running water, or place in a container of heated water. To microwave: 1. Remove nipple, collar and hood from nurser. Place filled nurser in microwave. 2. Microwave at 10 second intervals. Replace nipple and collar. Invert nurser and check temperature on wrist after each interval.

Warnings:
All rubber nipples can wear out. To prevent a possible choking hazard, test strength by pulling on bulb portion. Inspect and replace if nipple become sticky, enlarged, cracked or show other signs of excessive wear. Do not allow baby to take bottle to bed or self-feed for long periods. Extended contact with milk, formula, juice or other sweetened liquids may cause severe tooth decay.

steph_goodrum
18-04-2004, 05:50
We have acquired an Avent microwave steam sterlizer since our last trip in our villa so I think someone must have found them over here as if they had gone to the trouble of bringing it over then they would have taken it home.
You can try the Burlington coat factory website as well www.bcfdirect.com they have a very good range of nursery equipment.

Claire M
18-04-2004, 12:10
I have looked on Babies R Us, It is $29.99 for an Avent Microwave steriliser, which is the same one that we have here in the UK.

I am sure that in Mothercare they do travel sterilisers, which are bags and you fill with water and tablet. The only downside I can see to this is the time it takes, which would mean you would have to take a lot of bottles, depending on how many bottles your baby has a day.

Also don't forget to take lots of milk, as you can't get anything like ours over there. Baby food was ok though as we used to use Gerber.

Claire

P.S. The Avent steriliser also contains 4 8oz bottles.

P.P.S. I know that you havent asked about baby food, but please be aware that if you have anything with beef or bacon or any other banned foods they will take it off you at customs. I had Heinz beans and bacon and Boots organic steak dinner and they took it off me!!!!! I know it's the rules, but a little jar of baby food[msneek].

18-04-2004, 13:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jonandviv
[/quote]

Having traveled to Florida since 1984 with all my lot, 5 of them, oldest nearly 20 and the baby whos 2, my advice would be take all you need from the UK (except banned foods), there is nothing worse than getting there and then having to drive around for sterilizers etc, I took my Avent Microwave sterilizer last trip and if you leave the lid off in the case and stuff it with socks etc it does not take up much space. I know they sell them at the Babies r Us in the big Toys r Us near the Florida Mall, but you will need it as soon as you get there. I also took 3 weeks supply of SMA (powdered) as they don't do the exact same milk - they say some of the other manufacturers is similar but it tastes and smells very different. Nappies are easy to get Pampers in all the supermarket chains.

Have a great holiday!!

langley
18-04-2004, 15:52
When we were away and we could not fit in our sterilisers, we used to wash and rinse our bottles really well and sterilise with just boiling water and leaving it in the bottles, dishes and soaking the teats upside down in the lid to the bottle. You could also use a few of the disposable bottles to tide you over.

Perhaps see if your Health Visitor has any other ideas, as you may be able to go without the worry of buying something you may not use when you get back.

The Avent Microwave Sterilisers are £ 19.99 in boots.

Hope this may help. Have a great holiday.

langley
18-04-2004, 16:04
Hi again

I knew avent did a disposable travel system which is compact and looks eay to use.

Try this link

http://www.aventbaby.com/uk/products/catalogue/disposable/disposable_travel_kit.html

Boots, Mothercare, Babies R Us most of these stores sell Avent.

markemma
18-04-2004, 16:15
I took sterilising tablets with me and did it the old fashioned way because I have never found sterilisers in US. You can buy the bags over here where you pop them in the microwave.

fiona
18-04-2004, 20:53
We went abroad with our eldest (now nearly 19) from 4 months and I took milton, packets of milupa dried food and a couple of bottles for water - I was breast feeding so I supposed that helps (although I shall spare you the fun and games of feeding on a beach in Spain;)). I used boiling water and milton on everything! We (this is my parents and I) went to Malaya when I was 6 weeks old and my mother used Milton on everything - in fact I can remember her even washing lettuce at a campsite in Italy in it!!!!!

From 4 months+ I fed mine on yoghurt, and from 6/8 mnths + used to boil up carrots and potatoes, put a soupcon of grated cheese on top and that was always wolfed down, as was grilled tomatoes with cheese on top which I added to the milupa stuff to reassure myself they were getting something nutritous!

jonandviv
19-04-2004, 21:49
Thanks for the advise everyone! We have now bought a Avent Microwave Sterlizer to take over with us and it seems small enough to us!! Thanks Again

ujpest doza
21-04-2004, 16:43
We have a small travel steriliser that we bought at mothercare. It uses tablets and can sterilise 2 bottles at a time.

However, our midwife advised us that American Dishwashers are powerful and hot enough to negate the need for a steriliser.

sunworld
21-04-2004, 17:17
Hi all, as far as I know the Americans just use the dishwasher for cleaning baby equipment. We lived in North Carolina for a while, and my son was born there, I couldnt find a steriliser anywhere, not even a microwavable one. When I asked other mothers I was told you just use the dishwasher. In the end I got my Mum to bring one from home.

firsttimer
28-04-2004, 01:46
I think in different countries there are different views on what should be sterilised- maybe this is why sterilisers are less visible.
On the continent they make up formular with unboiled tap water and some think this helps in not getting ecxema. Surely at 6 months washing dummies etc with washing up liquid and hot water would be sufficient.