PDA

View Full Version : Skycots

jonandviv
15-04-2004, 02:51
We are flying to Sanford Airport from Manchester with MyTravel in June with our son who will be 5 and half months, we have heard alot about skycots and were wondering whether we have to pre-book these before we fly? Also will they supply and jarred baby food or will we have to bring our own?:D

15-04-2004, 03:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jonandviv
We are flying to Sanford Airport from Manchester with MyTravel in June with our son who will be 5 and half months, we have heard alot about skycots and were wondering whether we have to pre-book these before we fly? Also will they supply and jarred baby food or will we have to bring our own?:D
[/quote]

Book a skycot but don't expect it to be a great success, none of mine have ever slept well in them but they are handy to have.

Take ALL you need and some spares of everything you will need for the baby
don't rely on airlines for babyfood etc.

brizzle
16-04-2004, 00:23
I've had a different experience.
I think we prebooked with Virgin when our youngest was 4 months and it had to be a bulkhead seat because they attached the skycot to a big drop down table.
She pretty much slept the whole flight or drank her milk or gurgled in a baby-type-way. Easiest flight to Florida ever.

She'll be 20 months when we go in 12 days though and I expect a little more trouble this time, although she was OK in December.

Hopefully the 4 year old will be entertained by the movies (crossed fingers and toes)

Brizzle

Nostromo
16-04-2004, 01:32
I think the type of baby cot depends on the airline to some extent. I once flew with Singapore Airlines whose baby cots were cradle-like recesses into the bulkhead beneath the movie screen. It was very convenient for the mother to lean across and attend to the baby but still have plenty of legroom for herself and the baby stuff. I have seen other airlines with similar facilities, but I am sure that they have to be booked well in advance.

mikewj
16-04-2004, 02:13
jonandviv,

We're going with My Travel from Manchester in June too, with a 9 1/2 month old boy who refuses to sleep.

What date are you flying ?

Ruth
16-04-2004, 02:18
I had skycots when mine were the appropriate age and they always worked well for me for most of the flight:)I would certainly take your own baby food and drinks (I even took boiled water in sterilized bottles when they were very young)

Ann
16-04-2004, 10:48
skycots worked well for my kids
but do also take extra food and milk nappies just incase you are delayed

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-04-2004, 14:04
Ours slept well in skycots when they were young too. The only problem we found was that as soon as they went to sleep the plane ran into turbulence and we had to take them out of the cots as the staff were very strict about it.

16-04-2004, 15:17
Typical - I have the only babies that don't sleep well in skycots!!

Never mind they make up for it now baby aged 2 (well shes our baby out of the 5) sleeps 7pm - 7am!

jonandviv
16-04-2004, 19:59
Were flying out on 4th June, he generally a happy baby but when he gets a tantrum on him he lets every know loudly!!!!

mikewj
17-04-2004, 02:44
Well it looks like you'll be on the same flight as us.

Have you sorted out a skycot yet ?

We tried ringing My Travel, but just keep getting cut off.

jonandviv
30-04-2004, 19:56
We managed to reserve a skycot, but they informed us on the phone that if there is a passenger with a smaller baby they will get the skycot ahead of us due to the limited number on the flight apparently they have 2 in Econ and 3 in first Class.

Viv

boo boo
30-07-2004, 02:39
please can someone help me i am flying to majorca and my daughter will be 7 months than i dont know how to go about getting a sky cot or what to do with her on the flight i have been told about a baby sleeping pill has anyone heard of this or is it better ro leave her awake i dont know what to do and as you can tell i am getting all panicky because of it.

caroline
30-07-2004, 02:58
Personally I would never give a baby or any child any form of sleeping pill or any other non prescribed medicine.
We've just come back from Florida with our 8 month old niece with no problems - just take lots of snacks and drinks - all your daughters favourites - plus toys, include some new ones that will hold her attention if she gets fed up.
You'll need to check with the airline that you're flying with to see if they have sky cots.
The flight to Majorca isn't too long so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Magical Dreams
01-08-2004, 01:08
When we flew with Virgin Last October, we was told that the Sky Cots were only for Infants under 12months old.

Obviously some airlines will be different.

To be honest, although the Twins slept most of the way there, we refused them on the way home.

They are horrible things. They look like shoe boxes or as my wife said "They're like Coffins"

Each to their own, You will also find that you have very little room to move when these are set up, so, if you need to escape to the loo or go for a wonder to stretch your legs, you MAY wake up the baby!!