PDA

View Full Version : lost luggage

andy1
11-04-2004, 14:10
Hi,I would like to tell you of our experience last year when my 14 year old son arrived with us at Sanford but his luggage did not.Our party of seven landed at Sanford,we were the only flight in on that day.As we waited at the luggage claim it son became obvious that we were a suitcase short.I immediately thought it had been stolen.We went to see one of the officers on duty,a woman called Nancy.She asurred us that the suitcase was not stolen just routed somewhere else.Nancy told us that each bag has a tracking code but it would take some time to find it's location.We were insured for £100 per bag if lost, but this was little consolation when it's the personal things that you take that you start to miss first.We were given some paper work and contact numbers and set of to get our car,as we left the baggage claim area a Travel City rep approached us and said he had ben waiting for us as he had an upgrade to a vila but as we were such a long time he had to let it go to someone else.This made us fel even worse now.Our first priority now was to get my son some essentials ie. toothbrush,underwear and some casual clothes
We then went and explained our dilema to our tour company rep Travel City at Lake buena vista.When we got back to our hotel there was a message waiting from Nancy,saying that the bag had ben traced to Birmingham England.Over the next few days Nancy kept us informed ,even on her day off.After five days we were reunited with the lost luggage.All the people involved,Nancy and Travel City reps were extremely helpful and reassuring and as Nancy said to me,ahe had worked at the airport for ten years and not once was missing luggage ever stolen just re-routed and she was right and like the mounties Nancy always gets her bag.We were fuly refunded on our insurance claim but had to remember to keep all reciepts.We are going with Travel City again this year as they were so helpfull and did put our minds at rest.The motto of this tale is really make sure you are covered for this kind of loss.Andy

Andy & Arlene
11-04-2004, 17:29
Two xmas's ago, one of our cases and a safe we were bringing over for our villa never arrived on our flight. They were both heavy items and we had to put them through separately. It was probably just as well they never arrived as everything would not have fitted into the mid size car we had hired.

Anyway next morning, we got a phone call saying our items would be delivered within the next 2 hours and right enough they both appeared soon after. :)I think it was United Airlines we flew with then.

Herbie
11-04-2004, 22:11
About three years ago we were flying Virgin and got to Orlando to find that only 2 out of 4 suitcases arrived. We were told it was lucky we had two! Trouble was one contained all my daughters clothes and the other was a case full of Pampers nappies. Nothing for my wife, son or I apart from the clothes we had on.

Vigin told us they could track the suitcases down (but not that day) and authorised us to buy some essentials. They eventualy tracked the cases to Greece ! They then had to arrange for a BA flight that was going to NY to take the cases. They arrived okay in NY but then got lost going down to Orlando!

Eventually the cases turned up five days later rather the worse for wear. Virgin were very good and had the cases repaired and settled up for all the things we had to buy.

Anyone else got some horror luggage stories?

Herbie

blott
11-04-2004, 22:25
Yes, but not to do with Florida... I watched my suitcase being run over by one of the luggage trucks on arrival in Spain and, not surprisingly, the whole contents were ruined as the case broke and the contents were strewn everywhere with tyre marks all over them! My travel insurance paid out for it although I never got the right amount for the value of the contents.

Once, on a very windy day in Gambia, Customs decided to search my suitcase prior to departure on a trestle table on the tarmac. [:0] Needless to say, as soon as they opened it, the contents got taken by the wind and Customs were chasing my dirty laundry all over the runway (no washer or dryer in the accommodation there)! :(

Ray&Sarah
12-04-2004, 00:11
Ray had his suitcase go missing on a trip to Montgomery in the US, for work. He was flying Delta and they were most unhelpful. They only autorised the purchase of essentials "Toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable shaver and a change of pants and socks" (not even shaving foam!) His luggage turned up 4 days later on the day he was due to fly out, by which time he was becoming a bit self-concious that he must smell. He was on business and had to attend meetings in his crumpled travel clothes. Delta would not authorise him to buy anything else! He did get the money back for the essentials but they would not hear of any other expenses or compensation. Ever since he has flown with a bag that can be classed as hand luggage and refuses to fly Delta.:(

Floridalover
12-04-2004, 02:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
Ray had his suitcase go missing on a trip to Montgomery in the US, for work. He was flying Delta and they were most unhelpful. They only autorised the purchase of essentials "Toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable shaver and a change of pants and socks" (not even shaving foam!) His luggage turned up 4 days later on the day he was due to fly out, by which time he was becoming a bit self-concious that he must smell. He was on business and had to attend meetings in his crumpled travel clothes. Delta would not authorise him to buy anything else! He did get the money back for the essentials but they would not hear of any other expenses or compensation. Ever since he has flown with a bag that can be classed as hand luggage and refuses to fly Delta.:(
[/quote]

I'm the same, if it don't fit in my trolley bag, I don't need it and I've managed a 2 week round the world trip, both hot and cold climates, doing that. It has another advantage, people refuse to sit near you so you always have spare seats next to you:D:D:D:D

Just Kidding on that last bit[}:)]

chrisj
12-04-2004, 02:55
We had a case go missing on the way back from New York a few years ago, Didnt bother me it
was full of dirty clothes, Got a phone call the next morning saying it was now at Heathrow and
the man was on his way, We live 6 miles from heathrow. He turned up at 9pm, almost 11 hours
after the phone call, Not bad for a 6 mile trip [V]

Floridalover
12-04-2004, 03:13
I did have a bag miss my plane to Sydney once. Being an airline employee I had no recourse either apart from the basics and it took 4 days to get there....on the flight I was flying home on.By that stage I had already checked in and was on my way back[xx(] I got my bag back 2 days later....hence my rule of trolley bag or no bag;)

Ray&Sarah
12-04-2004, 03:23
The thing I found amazing was that my case ended up following me around the states that week, after it originally turned up in LA. I didn't think it was possible for luggage to travel on planes where the owners were not present for security purposes!

Floridalover
12-04-2004, 03:31
The thing I found amazing was that my case ended up following me around the states that week, after it originally turned up in LA. I didn't think it was possible for luggage to travel on planes where the owners were not present for security purposes!
[/quote]

Doesn't seem to be a problem in the US. I had a bag go to LaGurdia from Miami without me 2 years ago whilst I ended up at Newark....but my connection to London was from JFK ! I ended up visiting all of New York's 3 airports within 2.5 hours and still made my flight back the UK[:I]
BA will not take bags unless the passenger is on board.

Herbie
12-04-2004, 03:56
[/quote]

In my situation I was told that it is up to the Captain, who has the right to refuse to take a piece of luggage travelling without the owner unless pre cleared at its point of origin.

Ray&Sarah
12-04-2004, 03:59
I guess once it has gone missing, there is not much they can really do about having the passenger with the bag:D:D. Just wish I could have calimed the airmiles my bag achieved that week:D:D:D

12-04-2004, 04:22
This is probably obvious but I aways mix and match clothes in our cases when going on family hols ie; 4 cases for 4 people but put a few clothes for each person in each case then if one case goes missing you have only lost a few bits as apposed to ALL your clothes! I also put basic toiletries in hand luggage too!

fiona
12-04-2004, 06:09
BA lost one of our suitcases on a flight to Orlando, turned out it was still sitting at Gatwick! They gave us $100 to buy the gals change of clothes, gave us toiletries and delivered the suitcase 24 hours later to our villa. Can't ask better than that. Delta lost one of our cases on the NY - MCO haul at Christmas, arrived a day later (v late in the evening). Managed to lose another one on the hop back up to NY - had to spend 2 nights in NY having been promised return of said suitcase every morning, and no they would not authorise as much as a tube of toothpaste. Natch it was Chris's and my case with all our stuff for NY with all florida stuff packed in another one! So guess who walk hiking round NY in December in open toed sandals?!![msnmad] Thankfully I had taken my winter coat on the plane with me. If we fly Delta again I am only taking what can fit as hand luggage.[V]

chrizzy100
12-04-2004, 06:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
BA lost one of our suitcases on a flight to Orlando, turned out it was still sitting at Gatwick! They gave us $100 to buy the gals change of clothes, gave us toiletries and delivered the suitcase 24 hours later to our villa. Can't ask better than that. Delta lost one of our cases on the NY - MCO haul at Christmas, arrived a day later (v late in the evening). Managed to lose another one on the hop back up to NY - had to spend 2 nights in NY having been promised return of said suitcase every morning, and no they would not authorise as much as a tube of toothpaste. Natch it was Chris's and my case with all our stuff for NY with all florida stuff packed in another one! So guess who walk hiking round NY in December in open toed sandals?!![msnmad] Thankfully I had taken my winter coat on the plane with me. If we fly Delta again I am only taking what can fit as hand luggage.[V]
[/quote]

Its nice to be able to travel down to FL with just hand luggage......straight off the plane into the car then to the house with very little waiting around....

bellaepovera
12-04-2004, 16:51
The airlines have lost my luggage so many times I cant even count! Seems that it does occur more in the New York airports. One time i didnt get one back for 6 months!! Received two free tickets so I was very happy!!

Katy2605
13-04-2004, 03:27
It isn't really a horror story. But when i last went to florida we went to orlando airport. 3/4 of our suitcases came except mine! Everyone from our flight had gone and we were will stay waiting for my case. Eventually it came but from now on we are going to put a bit of everyones clothing in each case so if we loose one atleast we are all clothed!:D

ujpest doza
14-04-2004, 17:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Floridalover
I did have a bag miss my plane to Sydney once. Being an airline employee I had no recourse either apart from the basics and it took 4 days to get there....on the flight I was flying home on.By that stage I had already checked in and was on my way back[xx(] I got my bag back 2 days later....hence my rule of trolley bag or no bag;)
[/quote]

I thought the airlines were now much stricter about carry on bags ie no more than 5 kilos and must fit into "sizer" thing at check in to make sure they're not too big.

Drew
14-04-2004, 21:54
Travelled Edinburgh to Miami via Heathrow last Oct with BA. My teenage son's bag never arrived, were told it would come next day and we would only get enough compensation for a change of underwear, so not to go on a spending spree. The helpline number given was never answered as the desk was only attended when the BA flights came in, and when the flights came in they were too busy to answer the phone. As we were travelling it was almost pointless leaving messages on their answering machine. The complaints line in the US didn't take complaints over the phone - we got the run around. The case never arrived in Florida and even my son has better personal hygeine than one pair of boxers. When we got back to Edinburgh, they traced the case to Heathrow (minus it's luggage tags and with someone else's address labels) and the bag was delivered to our home address about four hours after we arrived home. It took until mid January when we were compensated - more than the cost of the original flight. It won't stop me flying with BA, but in future we will mix the luggage through several bags so that at least we would have a starter kit if one piece goes AWOL.[msnsad]

Drew

Ann-Marie
15-04-2004, 00:57
Drew

Thanks for that. It actually makes sense to mix the luggage up a bit. We normally have a case each, me, hubby and son, but I think this year, I'll take your advice and put a mixture in each one - just in case!:)

Ann-Marie[:o)]

MrEktion
15-04-2004, 04:22
Heathrow is usually where my bag goes missing I have lost it 3 times there when travelling on business. But my luggage nightmare courtesy of MyTravel was on a flight from Manchester to Fuerteventura.

We checked in 3 hours before the flight and got a very raw recruit on check-in who couldn't find our names on the flight. After asking how long we had made the holiday booking (3 months) he somehow got us seats including a seat for our infant son who was supposedly travelling on our laps. We thought he was doing us a favour [msnoo] so we hand over all our luggage except for our large Wal-Mart special which has to go in the oversized baggage check. I then realise just as I am checking this last bag in that the tag he has put on it says Airport Code CTA not FUE. I return to the desk and he admits he's put us on the wrong flight [msneek]. He hadn't cleared his screen from the passengers before us who were going to Catania, Sicily (hence CTA).

He corrects his mistake and we are left with one case correctly labled for FUE and all the rest incorrectly labelled and now in the baggage system. I told him I wasn't moving from Check-In until I saw my bags all correctly labelled but he told me thay now had to be relabelled in the baggage hall by the baggage staff after a long argument and many reassurring words from him and his supervisor about bags cannot travel without passengers blah blah blah.. we decide we will have to accept it and go to board the plane.

Needless to say arrive in FUE and no bags except the Wal-Mart special. Luckily this has some clothes for all of us (Julie R we pack like you do!) but we are not all that smart. So, no evening clothes for us, no beach gear for son, no beach shelter, no toys or books (except the hand luggage ones) no sun-tan cream, no nappies etc. etc. After many false dawns the lost luggage made the journey from Sicily to Fuerteventura in 8 days[msnmad]

I had my revenge though, after 4 months complaining to MyTravel (an even longer story) who just told me to claim from my insurance. I finally got £350 in compensation and they then sent me a further £150 off voucher for our next holiday as we only paid £690 for all 3 of us in the first place I guess this was more than a fair result.

But the moral of the story is - if it is a any destination type check-in for your next flight make sure you know the 3 letter code for your destination and check the tags match when they are applied.

Good luck

Mr E.

Ray&Sarah
15-04-2004, 17:24
I now always take just hand luggage if on business for a week. The only time I have had a problem is if the plane is one of the smaller variety, then you generally have to leave the case at the bottom of the stairs, or at the door, and the items get placed in the hold, and are returned at the other end at the door again. The case I use is okay to fit into the checking device at check-in, but more often now I use the electronic chcek facilty, so you don't actually see a member of airline staff until you go to the gate.

traceya89
17-08-2004, 03:28
I tend to put a few of everyones clothes in each suit case in case of loss or delay and that way i figure we are able to cope if something does happen to the case. I like to be first at the conveyor belt when the cases start to appear as i always look on the dark side and have visions of someone going off with my suitcase by mistake or on the even darker side it being stolen.

george
17-08-2004, 03:35
I left a bag on the plane once. She found me at customs!!:D

anna maria freak
17-08-2004, 12:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
I left a bag on the plane once. She found me at customs!!:D
[/quote]

:D:D:D:D:D:D[msnwink]

Paul

Rhosyn
17-08-2004, 14:16
I hope Pamela is not reading this thread or you are for it George.:D

BarryR
17-08-2004, 14:23
Nice one George,
My sort of humour ! but don't tell the wife.

finishrich
27-08-2004, 04:28
North West lost 1 of our 5 bags on a ski trip to Breckinridge. We flew from Edinburgh via Amsterdam and Detroit to Denver. When we arrived at Detriot we were told before we got off the plane that one of our bags was still in Amsterdam. As you'd expect it was the bag with the ski boots, gloves, salopets etc. The North West agent dealing with us asked "You have all that in one bag?, what's in the other bags?" Anyway to cut a long story short we were able to hire some stuff for our first day skiing and they paid for everthing we hired, and paid half of everything we bought, plus we were able to claim up to £100 each on our insurance. Plus the missing bag was delivered on our 2nd day.

chrisj
27-08-2004, 12:02
Luckily we have never lost any luggage, but there is always a first time, as above we tend
to split the clothes etc in the suitcases in case we do lose one

LesleyB
27-08-2004, 12:36
So far we have been lucky with luggage (a couple of times ours have been the last ones off the plane though) - I am always worried that we will have a missing case, but it is a great start to the holiday when all the bags come through in one piece. (little things ....!)