PDA

View Full Version : Overcharging Tourists

tbiddulph
10-04-2004, 10:56
When we were over in Kissimmee during March we had a couple of unpleasant surprises regarding the cost of general goods.

We were shopping with our American neighbours in Old Town - my wife noticed a Mickey Mouse phone and asked the price, $69.99 she was told. Unbeknown to her our friend had asked the price a few minutes earlier (knowing she was looking for this type of phone) the same assistant quoted her $49.99.

The next day in the flea market at St Cloud exactly the same thing happened - our friend looked at collection of three ornamental shells which the stall owner said would cost $60 - when I went to the stall I was quoted $120 for the same items.

I think the he moral here is - when going shopping learn to look and speak like a local or, if you can't, take one with you !

Nostromo
10-04-2004, 11:35
I am sure this sort of thing will not happen in 'regular' outlets where the prices are marked. But I suppose one cannot tell with the Flea Markets. But this information is very significant in that my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are very keen to spend almost a day in the Flea Markets near Celebration and Old Town. Fortunately, they will have an American relative with them all along; while she cannot be described as a 'local' (being from Illinois), she knows all the 'ins & outs' of shopping.

Floridalover
10-04-2004, 12:10
Terry, I'm not surprised by what you say, its a common occurence all over though not just Florida. I just spent 6 days in India and was regularly overcharged for things like rikshaws, taxi's, drinks etc. All because I was from abroad (not really that easy to disguise) The same goes for Africa etc.
I think what is more surprising is that you don't expect it in America. Maybe its time to start haggling when us Brits go shopping in Florida[}:)] You could say the Building trade in Florida is doing that same, when you look at the price rises recently:(

Nostromo
10-04-2004, 12:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Floridalover
I just spent 6 days in India and was regularly overcharged for things like rikshaws, taxi's, drinks etc. All because I was from abroad (not really that easy to disguise) :(!]
[/quote]

You poor you! I am from India and know exactly what it feels like to be a tourist there, especially if you are an obvious foreigner. Unscrupulousness and corruption at all levels are so rampant that every visitor gets fleeced, often not even being aware of it. Even the so-called 5-Star Hotels, ostensibly belonging to International Chains, have a completely illegal dual tariff where they will charge a Westerner upto 5 times (no exaggeration) the normal rate. The local government officials get kickbacks out of such deals and are happy to turn a blind eye. As for taxis, shops etc, you can only guess!!

Compared with the Indian shopkeeprs, the Orlando Flea Market stallholders are saints.

Floridalover
10-04-2004, 13:10
Nostromo,I know about the dual tariff. It is very naughty but what can you do ??? I paid INR1200 for 2 beers and 2 G&T's in a certain international chain the other night, that's probably more than I would pay here in the UK !!
Regardless, a wonderful country with wonderful culture and wonderful food:)
So Floridian stall holders do seem like saints !

chrisj
10-04-2004, 14:27
I think this practise goes on all over the world im afraid, luckily we have friends in Orlando
and so go shopping with them so we get the 'Local Price' rather than the tourist price.
To be fair though when they come to visit us, I do the talking to make sure they dont get ripped
off.

Pikey1999
10-04-2004, 15:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tbiddulph
When we were over in Kissimmee during March we had a couple of unpleasant surprises regarding the cost of general goods.

We were shopping with our American neighbours in Old Town - my wife noticed a Mickey Mouse phone and asked the price, $69.99 she was told. Unbeknown to her our friend had asked the price a few minutes earlier (knowing she was looking for this type of phone) the same assistant quoted her $49.99.

The next day in the flea market at St Cloud exactly the same thing happened - our friend looked at collection of three ornamental shells which the stall owner said would cost $60 - when I went to the stall I was quoted $120 for the same items.

I think the he moral here is - when going shopping learn to look and speak like a local or, if you can't, take one with you !

[/quote]

Did you say anything to the shop keepers?
If so, what did they say and what were their facial expressions like at being 'caught'? [msnwink][msnsmile2]

tbiddulph
10-04-2004, 15:43
Well we didn't at the time but our neighbours opposite did report the shop in Old Town to the Florida Better Business Bureau - I haven't spoken to them since to find out whether anything further happened.

Naturally we warn our guests about this practice and make sure they have a reasonably good idea about where it happens:)

Nostromo
10-04-2004, 17:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Floridalover
Nostromo,I know about the dual tariff. It is very naughty but what can you do ??? I paid INR1200 for 2 beers and 2 G&T's in a certain international chain the other night, that's probably more than I would pay here in the UK !!
[/quote]

One thing that can be done is to threaten the management with an official complaint to the chain structure (not locally). This works with International Chain Hotels. My wife and I have always flatly refused to pay dual tariff in India and have always succeeded in getting them down to the local rates. With hotels, you first get a tariff quote via a local (we do this ourselves, of course) person and hold the management to it. Whenever they see our UK Credit Cards, the truth dawns on them and they try the usual rhetoric. I assure you that it has never worked. We pay the local rate and not a penny (or paisa) more.

This is obviously more dificult with Ethnic Europeans, but you can still complain. If enough coplaints come in, perhaps this disgusting practice will end.

Floridalover
10-04-2004, 18:13
Thanks Nostromo, I'll bear it in mind. It is a little annoying when what you paid for 4 drinks would in reality easily buy you 10 times as many drinks elsewhere.
But it won't end, too many people are getting a pay back from it.....and not just in India!!