PDA

View Full Version : expendable launches

debbie
08-04-2004, 00:51
I have just visited the NASA site to check if any launches were corresponding with our holiday dates this year. This link shows a launch on August 22. Does anyone know if these type of launches (expendable?) can be viewed the way shuttles are?

http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/schedule/mixfleet.htm

Thanks,
Debbie [msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
08-04-2004, 01:23
Unless they have relaxed the rules which I doubt Debbie you can't get to Cape Canaveral as you used to be able to but depending on which launch pad it's on the you may be able to see from Jetty Park.

There used to be a link on the Nasa site which shows the best viewing areas, I haven't looked at it for a while but will see if I can find it.

steph_goodrum
08-04-2004, 01:33
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/carpass/carpass.htm

Try this one Debbie, also shows sites outside Kennedy.

I didn't realise they had provisional date for next March for a return to flight mission for the shuttle. That is going to be an emotional event for all involved.

Having been lucky enough to see a shuttle launch from Canaveral, we've also seen a Delta rocket being launched when we were at Kennedy and went to Jetty Park to watch the launch of Cassini on its way to Saturn, it seems unbelievable that was 7 years ago and it is hoped it will arrive in around July this year, just hope it doesn't do another Beagle.

Pikey1999
08-04-2004, 19:00
Lets hope that it's map reading skills are good! ;)

chrisj
08-04-2004, 19:03
We managed to see a launch many years ago, last year there was 2 scheduled for both of
the weeks that we were there, so we had planned to visit both days to make sure we could
see another one and the kids would also see it, obviously they were cancelled.

debbie
09-04-2004, 01:14
Thanks Steph this is just brilliant news. My sons are aged 7 and 10 and are really excited at the prospect (so am I)!
Debbie.

BarryR
09-04-2004, 01:53
Remember that launch dates are always subject to change, even at last minute due to the weather. I booked a holiday in 2001 to watch a shuttle launch, they slipped it 6 weeks once it was too late for me to reschedule flights etc.

However ...
We had a great view of a Delta launch from on the pier at Cocco beach instead, camera in one hand cool beer in the other !

Barry

Tracey
09-04-2004, 02:35
Debbie, I just checked the link you posted above and the August 22nd launch is listed under 2006.

steph_goodrum
09-04-2004, 03:26
The shuttle launch we saw had slipped by a couple of weeks, our friends were out in our place 3 weeks before us and I told him we had got a car park pass to watch a launch and when he found there was one scheduled for during his visit he got a car park pass too. His launch was delayed so he gave us the pass incase it went whilst we were there. The first day we went to see it it was aborted at 2 mins to take off as a thunderstorm was within 10 miles so they went the next day which meant another early start to meet the launch window. It was most definitely worth it.
This was in August 2001 - but the one we had original passes slipped quite considerably and unfortunately was STS 107 (Challenger) the one that was lost on re-entry.
I'm sure if you do get to see it Debbie the boys will always remember it.

debbie
10-04-2004, 00:52
Aaw I don't believe it! That will teach me to read things properly Tracey.