PDA

View Full Version : SMALL WORLD CLOSURE

Jools
06-04-2004, 16:48
I keep seeing rumours on various web sites and also in the Orlando Sentinal that Its a Small World will be closing in June till Next May for a refit. No confirmation yet by Disney but keep seeing this rumour over and over. Anyone have anymore information ? My Mum and Dad are coming with us to Disney World in July and they will be heartbroken if its not open.:(

Nostromo
06-04-2004, 18:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: My Mum and Dad are coming with us to Disney World in July and they will be heartbroken if its not open.:(
[/quote]

I'll say! Fortunately, we will be leaving in 2 weeks and are due to visit MK in the first few days. Since there is no mention of a refurbishment of 'Small World' on the official WDW Calendar, I assume we'll be all right. My niece will cry if it is closed.

Keep checking the calendar on the official site and you'll soon know for sure. Best of Luck!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-04-2004, 18:13
Jools - this is awful news we are over in June, I hope we get under the wire to see it again. Me and my daughter (aged 3) love this ride we wave and sing throughout the whole world tour. John and our 5 year old son get embarrassed but us girls are shameless:D

For those looking for hidden Mickeys - watch out in the Africa section for one of the garlands hanging down....say no more.

Sarah

chrisj
06-04-2004, 18:17
There are a few websites about hidden mickeys. Shame the ride is closing, Sam loved it last
year

Lyn
06-04-2004, 19:07
I can't imagine going to MK and not going on small world, we are taking my daughters boyfriend this year and it will be his first time, she really wanted him to go on small world, corny we know but it's all part of the fun.

Lyn

mikewj
06-04-2004, 20:58
THANK GOD !!!

Sue wont be able to drag me onto the ride again, and then annoy me all day singing that infernal song. [msnwink]

She even bought the Official Disneyworld CD and plays the thing during the run up to our hols, so I now know every word. [msncry]

On a more serious note, my poor wife will be heartbroken by the news. Unless its still open when we get there in early June !

SunLover
06-04-2004, 21:26
Personally, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than ride on It's A Small World.[}:)]

That song just gets into your head and makes me feel far more nauseous than riding Mission Space at Epcot !

Judging from the posts above, maybe this is just a "Guy Thing" [?]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-04-2004, 21:43
I got this CD last time we were out and Freya (3) now loves hearing the music at home [msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mikewj
She even bought the Official Disneyworld CD and plays the thing during the run up to our hols, so I now know every word. [msncry]
[/quote]

bellaepovera
06-04-2004, 21:46
When I go to Disney that is the first ride I always go on as its my fav!! Sorry to hear it will not be open this summer...its a small small world!

Ray&Sarah
06-04-2004, 22:05
Not just a guy thing, Sarah doesn't like it either. It was okay the first time through, bearable. But our youngest absolutely loved it and wanted to ride it again and again when he went to WDW for the first time (about 7 years ago). By the end of the fourth go through, we all wanted to shoot the dolls. All except our youngest and his Grandad who would have happily gone through all day.:D

Nostromo
06-04-2004, 22:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:That song just gets into your head and makes me feel far more nauseous than riding Mission Space at Epcot !

[/quote]

I assure you that I am very much a 'guy' and I like both the music and the ride. The problem with many of us guys (I used to have it too when I was young) is that we forget to leave our egos behind while going on holiday; it might be OK elsewhere, but one cannot do that in WDW and Orlando. If we are not able to let our hair down and bring ourselves down a bit to the kids level, why go at all? Even though some might say that WDW is 'mainly for the Kids', a lot of older 'kids' (including me) enjoy things like 'It's a Small World' once in a while.

SunLover
07-04-2004, 01:01
I'm delighted the ride brings out the child in you Nostromo.

Personally I feel it has nothing to do with egos, as you suggest, more a question of taste, which is, as I am sure you will agree, individual to us all.

Have fun :D

chrizzy100
07-04-2004, 01:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
Personally, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than ride on It's A Small World.[}:)]

That song just gets into your head and makes me feel far more nauseous than riding Mission Space at Epcot !

[/quote]

I hate it too...the only fun thing about it... is taking new people on the ride.... who don't know how bad it really is and seeing the looks they give me.......[}:)][}:)][}:)]

chrizzy100
07-04-2004, 01:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
Not just a guy thing, Sarah doesn't like it either. It was okay the first time through, bearable. But our youngest absolutely loved it and wanted to ride it again and again when he went to WDW for the first time (about 7 years ago). By the end of the fourth go through, we all wanted to shoot the dolls. All except our youngest and his Grandad who would have happily gone through all day.:D
[/quote]

At 7 my daughter made my parents do the ride 7 times in a row....hehehehe

mikewj
07-04-2004, 01:55
I dont think I'd go as far as the pins in the eyes, although when you're still singing the song hours after you've left the park.......!

Maybe its not a refit.

Maybe the dolls are planning to storm Disney's offices and sort out the Michael Eisner problem.

You never know.....some of them do look a bit scarey....and as for the one with the boomerang !!

Nostromo
07-04-2004, 02:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

Personally I feel it has nothing to do with egos, as you suggest, more a question of taste, which is, as I am sure you will agree, individual to us all.

[/quote]

Is it really? I wonder what kind of 'taste' is involved in queuing upwards of an hour to ride in the likes of Space Mountain or Duelling Dragons. Let's face it. All of us go in those for pure thrills and very little else, but there is nothing wrong with that. It is just that some thrills seem more 'macho' than others, that's all. [8D][8D]

SunLover
07-04-2004, 05:44
As I said before Nostromo, you have fun :D

Lesley S
07-04-2004, 12:39
Yes but Mike, you now have 2 that will enjoy the ride.....Sue and the little one.... You can join Jamie and wait outside.....

We forced him to go on its a small world in March when we were out. Its not that bad and it only lasts a couple of mins.

"its a small small world....................

mikewj
07-04-2004, 15:03
Nostromo, I think you're getting far too serious about this.

Its a Small World is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it (I hate marmite but Sue loves it). I personally find the ride boring and the song annoying which is why I (try to) avoid it, but I get dragged on several times every year because Sue loves it.

However I have no problem with Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, Pirates of the Carribean, The Great Movie Ride or most other rides that you wouldn't class as "macho".

Its also true to say that I love the likes of The Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, The Hulk, Duelling Dragons etc because they give me a rush of adreneline, not because I think that I'm more of a man because of them. Sue likes them for the same reason and she's definitely not a man...or at least she wasn't last time I looked !

Maybe a refit will improve the Small World experience (for me). But you are running the risk of offending people by suggesting that we only like the thrill rides because we're all egomaniacs out to prove our masculinity by riding them.

And Lesley, tell me about it.....I'm already trying to reprogramme a 7 mth old whose been brainwashed with daytime TV and soap operas. I dont know how I'd handle him singing the Small World tune too !!!

Lyn
07-04-2004, 16:24
All I know is since reading this thread I can't get the song out of my head - it's a small world after all um um um um um ..........................

Perhaps if I keep singing it for the next 94 days till we go everyone will be glad its closed - or they will have killed me

Lyn

Nostromo
07-04-2004, 16:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Nostromo, I think you're getting far too serious about this.

[/quote]

Yes, you're right. Sorry.

PS: I hate Marmite too. Fortunately, my wife does as well! [^][^]

zerotone
18-04-2004, 14:16
Having been on Small World ride more times than I can remember, we now only go on it if we have someone with us who hasn't been on it or as with our last visit(last week) it was the only ride you didn't have to queue for more than 45mins for - just 10mins. So it filled the time between fast passes!!

Jane

emm
18-04-2004, 14:43
I have just checked the MK website and there is no mention of Small World being closed, so fingers crossed for those of us who cannot imagine a visit to the park without going on this ride!

Ana
18-04-2004, 16:13
MK will not be the same without Small World!! I love it! It's always the first ride we go on when we get to the park. It's the only ride of this type I like - I'm an adrenalin junkie as a rule [msnscared]

pigletsplace2003
21-05-2004, 18:41
I wish they would shut it for good :D:D:D still singing that dam song even now !!!

LesleyB
23-05-2004, 11:57
Oh No, I've just read this thread and mentioned it to the boys and they are going round the house singing the song very loudly - and over and over again ......! (They love to hate it but ride it every time - even in Disneyland Paris):D

Help!!!!

Lesley

mikewj
24-05-2004, 02:21
I must be a sado-masochist cos I really hate the ride, but still go on it several times during each Orlando visit.

AND we have a CD with the theme tune on too.

Now if only I could imbed audio files into thes posts [msneek][msneek][msneek]

TonyBlenk
24-05-2004, 02:28
There you go...
http://members.tripod.com/~rosemck1/its-a-small-world.mid
Sorry!
Tony.

Lesley S
24-05-2004, 12:07
lol very good Tony.......sorry Mike...couldn't help but laugh.. you can't get away with it.

MTP
16-06-2004, 03:36
Hi All,

I got this from the Disney World web-site (check calendar and the operational closures):

Magic KingdomŪ Park
The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter closed on Sunday, October 12, 2003 for re-development. Replacing the attraction will be Stitch's Great Escape which is expected to open in Fall 2004. We recommend Mickey's PhilharMagic during this time.

The Timekeeper - open seasonally

"it's a small world" will not be operating May 2, 2004 until Spring 2005, however we recommend Peter Pan's Flight as an alternative during this time.

Tom Sawyer Island will not be operating July 25 - September 25, 2004 however we recommend Swiss Family Treehouse as an alternative during this time.

So it looke like it is going to be shut for quite a while.

MTP

mikewj
16-06-2004, 04:59
If you're really missing the Small World puppets, some of them have taken advantage of the ride's closure to take a short break and can be found dancing the hours away on The River of Time in Mexico, EPCOT.

MTP
22-08-2004, 05:31
How is everyone coping with Small World?

We are over just after Christmas and I haven't yet told the kids that it isn't running.

kaysvacationvilla
22-08-2004, 05:38
When is it expected to open again?

Kay

MTP
23-08-2004, 00:43
Disney web-site is still saying Spring 2005

bridget
29-08-2004, 20:16
Once was enough for us! I like most of the tame rides but this is complete dross!

Every time Small World is mentioned all I can think of is the scene from Shrek when Shrek and Donkey enter Lord Farquaad's Kingdom and they get their photo taken from that mickey-take "show" and the look on their faces - that's exactly how it is!!!!!!!!!!
HA!

PaulRocke17
09-09-2004, 23:31
I hope this ride never opens again. The most irritating ride in the world. How anyone above the age of 5 could enjoy this is beyond me. Sorry I this offends anyone! [:I]:(

dykwim
17-09-2004, 20:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by PaulRocke17
I hope this ride never opens again. The most irritating ride in the world. How anyone above the age of 5 could enjoy this is beyond me. Sorry I this offends anyone! [:I]:(
[/quote]

Couldn't sgree more. I wonder why it is closed for such a long time though, maybe they're giving it a major overhall?

amy
17-09-2004, 20:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dykwim
[/quote]

Couldn't sgree more. I wonder why it is closed for such a long time though, maybe they're giving it a major overhall?
[/quote]

dykwim- I dont know why you waste your money going to Disney you have not had a good word to say about the place, they cater for all ages and taste, Small world may not be your thing but when you have children with you you may change tour views,when you see the look of amazement on their faces.

dykwim
17-09-2004, 20:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dykwim
[/quote]

[/quote]

dykwim- I dont know why you waste your money going to Disney you have not had a good word to say about the place, they cater for all ages and taste, Small world may not be your thing but when you have children with you you may change tour views,when you see the look of amazement on their faces.
[/quote]

I think Disney is awesome. I'm 23 so I'm hardly going to go head over heals for Small World am I? And my other post in the Animal Kingdom forum was just pointing out that it is my least favourite park, everyone has to have a least favourite don't they?

sunseeker
18-09-2004, 03:57
I cant stand this ride either, but that doesnt mean i think it should never reopen. My wife and kids love it, so i sit outside in the sunshine with an ice cream. Ahh bliss.[8D] [8D]

Dave

Ray&Sarah
18-09-2004, 04:24
The tune really gets annoying after a while but when our son was 4 he loved it and insisted on riding it again and again. Luckily his grandad was game and went on it with him.[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
01-10-2004, 21:05
You 2 keep insisting it was youngest that loved it!!!!:)
Just deal with it, except it, move on with life....WE KNOW IT IS YOU who love it REALLY[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

chunkichik
15-11-2004, 02:03
I have to say, the worst ride I've ever been on and everyone in my party agreed with me!

Jill
15-11-2004, 12:53
This ride is great - how better to keep 2 lads in line - just threaten to take them on this ride and take their photo to show to all on your return. They will do anything to avoid this punishment.

LiesaAnna
15-11-2004, 13:34
cant believe i've missed this thread!!!!!
doh!
i love "its a small world" my friends went on it before and told us all about it, so when we went i couldnt wait to try it!!!, and i couldnt video it, but i did take lots and lots and lots of photos!!!anyone want to see them!!!![msnwink]

mollymoo
15-11-2004, 16:16
This is a favourite of mine as well, the kids love it.

Mummy has the ring tone on her phone she loves it that much[msnsmile2]

Kerry-Ann

LiesaAnna
18-11-2004, 14:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mollymoo

Kerry-Ann
[/quote]

oh never thought of that Kerry-Ann
i collect elephant ornaments, and love elephants, i got an elephant phone cover and set it up with "nelly the elephant" kids hate it, its soooooo embarressing!

CarolAnn
18-11-2004, 14:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mollymoo

Kerry-Ann
[/quote]
Whoa Kerry-Ann!! A ring tone is pushing it I think[laugh][laugh]

Rich-n-Ang
18-11-2004, 14:13
We have a really naff multi-tune doorbell at home and one of the tunes available is "Its a small world" - needless to say its not the tune it is set on !!!!

amy
18-11-2004, 17:57
If I turn my clock radio to 'melody' it plays the tune and it is stuck in your mind for the rest of the day.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rich-n-Ang
We have a really naff multi-tune doorbell at home and one of the tunes available is "Its a small world" - needless to say its not the tune it is set on !!!!
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
18-11-2004, 18:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy

If I turn my clock radio to 'melody' it plays the tune and it is stuck in your mind for the rest of the day.

[/quote]

Can't think of anything worse![msnwink]:D

MTP
19-11-2004, 03:26
Did think about ripping it off of the Disney CD and uploading it on to the forums for you to enjoy - but you are not allowed MP3 uploads[msnsad].

chunkichik
28-11-2004, 21:25
Its a small world has got to be a winner on my alarm clock, that would get me out of bed alright!!

Although just played the music to Daniel who is 10 and he said he liked that ride!!

After all if we were all the same, the world would be a very boring place[msnsmile2]

Semper
18-01-2005, 11:46
Isn't there a Simpsons parody of the ride? Where Lisa swallows some of the water and begins to hallucinate? I am going to try that next time. [:o)]

ujpest doza
18-01-2005, 16:35
The operational updates say that it will be open in Spring 2005.

Does anyone have an inside knowledge as to exactly when in Spring it will reopen?

blott
18-01-2005, 16:45
March 2005 but no date. Presumably pre-Easter I would think?

ujpest doza
19-01-2005, 02:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
March 2005 but no date. Presumably pre-Easter I would think?
[/quote]

Heres hoping its before the 12th.

MaggieAllan
19-01-2005, 20:24
Are there any campaigns I can join to keep it closed????[V][V][V]:(:(:(

ORLANDO_MAGIC
19-02-2005, 20:27
Great news for you SW lovers.

Magic Kingdom - It's a Small World Re-Opening Date Announced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Kingdom will be re-opening It's a Small World on March 18, 2005. Some of the new additions completed during the almost year long refurbishment work is refurbished characters and sets, new state-of-the-art digital sound, a redesigned entrance area featuring enhanced accessibility and more stroller parking (which was very much needed), and 2 new animatronics.

And for all you SMALL WORLD lovers here are the words to that song that just stays in your head for hours and days after you depart the ride:D

It's a world of laughter, a world of tears,
It's a world of hopes and a world of fears;
There's so much that we share,
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all.

It's a small world after all,
It's a small, small world.

There is just one moon,
and one golden sun,
And a smile means friendship to ev'ryone;
Though the mountains divide,
And the oceans are wide,
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005219162632_dance.gif

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 20:36
Great news. I am sure Maggie(Allan) will be overjoyed:D:D. Someone should send her a CD single of this song - she adores it!

Ray&Sarah
19-02-2005, 20:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ORLANDO_MAGIC
Great news for you SW lovers.

Magic Kingdom - It's a Small World Re-Opening Date Announced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Kingdom will be re-opening It's a Small World on March 18, 2005. Some of the new additions completed during the almost year long refurbishment work is refurbished characters and sets, new state-of-the-art digital sound, a redesigned entrance area featuring enhanced accessibility and more stroller parking (which was very much needed), and 2 new animatronics.

And for all you SMALL WORLD lovers here are the words to that song that just stays in your head for hours and days after you depart the ride:D

It's a world of laughter, a world of tears,
It's a world of hopes and a world of fears;
There's so much that we share,
That it's time we're aware

It's a small, small world.

There is just one moon,
and one golden sun,
And a smile means friendship to ev'ryone;