PDA

View Full Version : Concorde at Manchester

05-04-2004, 13:00
Sorry to bore everyone with the love of my life but Concorde is now parked at the avaition viewing park at Manchester Airport and is due to be unvailed to the press tomorrow - the park will be closed tomorrow due to a security threat - typical but after that they will be doing walk through tours for £10-£15 including a photo on the flight deck on select days through out the summer - details are on the web site. For any other enthusiasts out there it is G-BOAC which is extra special to me as its the first one I flew on and I also went round the world on her in 1990!

Fozzie
05-04-2004, 13:18
Like you Julie, for me no other plane can ever be quite as special as Concorde, sadly never got to fly in her[msnsad].

But it sounds from some of these threads that we could probably rebuild one from all the bits & pieces of memorabilia that have been 'borrowed':D

chrisj
05-04-2004, 13:20
The best ever plane, and luckily we managed to fly it on a long weekend to New York just
before flights were suspended

05-04-2004, 13:38
But it sounds from some of these threads that we could probably rebuild one from all the bits & pieces of memorabilia that have been 'borrowed'

Im not going there Fozzie!!

chrisj
05-04-2004, 14:25
We only borrowed a few bits honest :)

chrizzy100
05-04-2004, 20:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie R
Sorry to bore everyone with the love of my life but Concorde is now parked at the avaition viewing park at Manchester Airport and is due to be unvailed to the press tomorrow - the park will be closed tomorrow due to a security threat - typical but after that they will be doing walk through tours for £10-£15 including a photo on the flight deck on select days through out the summer - details are on the web site. For any other enthusiasts out there it is G-BOAC which is extra special to me as its the first one I flew on and I also went round the world on her in 1990!
[/quote]

My uncle worked on Concorde from start to finish..he give us and other families the heads up the first day it saw daylight.....the new Motorway was picked with family and friends that day.....

brizzle
05-04-2004, 21:16
We had the last (?) fly-by in Bristol last year before she touched down at Filton.
We watched it come in from the East, fly down to the Severn estuary then pretty much fly over us with the pilot tilting each way so we could get pictures of top and bottom.

Awesome.

Brizzle

chrizzy100
05-04-2004, 21:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
We had the last (?) fly-by in Bristol last year before she touched down at Filton.
We watched it come in from the East, fly down to the Severn estuary then pretty much fly over us with the pilot tilting each way so we could get pictures of top and bottom.

Awesome.

Brizzle
[/quote]

Are you from Bristol.....??
I'm from The City Road area...our home was knocked down years ago....my fathers from Knowle West.....then we moved to Fishponds.....then Yate.....

05-04-2004, 21:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

Awesome.

Brizzle
[/quote]

I'm from The City Road area...our home was knocked down years ago....my fathers from Knowle West.....then we moved to Fishponds.....then Yate.....
[/quote]

One off my sons is at Uni in Bristol!

chrizzy100
05-04-2004, 23:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

Awesome.

Brizzle
[/quote]

[/quote]

One off my sons is at Uni in Bristol!
[/quote]

If or when we move back to the UK after my husband retires we'll get a place near Bristol......I'd not move back to the Pompy area again.....

Ray&Sarah
06-04-2004, 00:21
Hi Chrizzy,
You're from the same part of the Uk as us then, we live in Gloucester and up until recently our son was swimming twice a week with a club in Bristol, once a week near the Airbus factory and then the other tume at a private school near the zoo. We are frequent visitors at the Causeway shopping centre in Bristol.[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
06-04-2004, 00:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
Hi Chrizzy,
You're from the same part of the Uk as us then, we live in Gloucester and up until recently our son was swimming twice a week with a club in Bristol, once a week near the Airbus factory and then the other tume at a private school near the zoo. We are frequent visitors at the Causeway shopping centre in Bristol.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

At 16 I worked for a make up company in John Lewis.....I spent lots of time in the Zoo my friends dad was a vet there....so I knew all the animals....then I moved to Pompy and became a dog handler..then a welder....I really get about a bit....hehehehehe

Ray&Sarah
06-04-2004, 00:39
How do you cross dog handling with welding then![msnwink]:D

chrizzy100
06-04-2004, 00:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
How do you cross dog handling with welding then![msnwink]:D
[/quote]

Do you know I don't know......I could have moved to Canada easier after leaning to weld..and I wanted to move there...and I'd need to handle sled dogs to get around in the snow......so I was covering every angle I think.......hehehehehe

Ray&Sarah
06-04-2004, 00:51
And I suppose the dogs get chapped lips and thats were the make-up expertise comes in.:D:D

chrisj
06-04-2004, 02:14
I work in Cribbs Causeway now and again

Biggus
06-04-2004, 02:22
I went to uni in Bristol - well UWE - I was a "Wally from the Poly" as UWE was created the year I started!! Had an excellent time, living on Filton Ave in Horfield and over in Clifton (with all the luvvies!!) Crikey that seems like a long long time ago............

Ray&Sarah
06-04-2004, 02:36
Small world isn't it!:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-04-2004, 02:52
Hi Julie

Thanks for the information about Concorde, we shall definately go and see her soon. John's Dad was a BA engineer and worked on Concorde and now the next two generations appear to be hooked on aviation too! Just such a pity that aviation has not kept up with the generations - what were they thinking retiring Concorde?

Sarah

chrizzy100
06-04-2004, 03:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Hi Julie

Thanks for the information about Concorde, we shall definately go and see her soon. John's Dad was a BA engineer and worked on Concorde and now the next two generations appear to be hooked on aviation too! Just such a pity that aviation has not kept up with the generations - what were they thinking retiring Concorde?

Sarah
[/quote]

I wonder if Johns dad knew my uncle.......???

06-04-2004, 12:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Hi Julie

Sarah
[/quote]

I know complete madness, I will be telling my children I used to fly to NY in 2 hours 55 mins but now it takes 6 hours plus!

06-04-2004, 12:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Biggus
I went to uni in Bristol - well UWE - I was a "Wally from the Poly" as UWE was created the year I started!! Had an excellent time, living on Filton Ave in Horfield and over in Clifton (with all the luvvies!!) Crikey that seems like a long long time ago............
[/quote]

My son rents a house in Horfield!

06-04-2004, 12:59
[/quote]

P.S Fame I have just done a very brief live intereview on BBC GMR radio as they are unvailing the aircraft to the press today!

No autographs please!!

LOL!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-04-2004, 13:07
Hey Julie, you will have to revisit the thread about celebrity villa owners and get your name down[8D].

Sarah

06-04-2004, 13:12
Hey Julie, you will have to revisit the thread about celebrity villa owners and get your name down[8D].

Sarah
[/quote]

Oh Yes thanks Sarah!!

LOL!!

pieman6
06-04-2004, 14:39
Is the aviation park at the airport or far away. Last year when we flew into manchester Concorde was parked near to the cargo hanger opposite Terminal 2. Has it moved now or is that the park?

06-04-2004, 14:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman6
Is the aviation park at the airport or far away. Last year when we flew into manchester Concorde was parked near to the cargo hanger opposite Terminal 2. Has it moved now or is that the park?
[/quote]

The viewing park is on the Wilmslow side of the airport near the Romper Pub. If you come of the M56 at the Hale exit it is about half a mile.
If you are taking off or landing you can normally see the viewing park.
Concorde is parked inside the viewing park now not at the cargo area.

brizzle
06-04-2004, 23:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Chrizzy100 wrote :
I'm from The City Road area...our home was knocked down years ago....my fathers from Knowle West.....then we moved to Fishponds.....then Yate.....[/quote]

Brizzle = Bristol [8D]

Most of my family come from the Knowle West area, my Nan lived there all of her life.
I'm from Brislington but know the City Road / Stokes Croft area pretty well as I work near there.
Spend some (most?) lunch hours in the Bristol Tavern, if I can get out, to do the crossword and get the brain working again...

Tried the Strongbow at Epcot because it said dry...yuck...give me Blackthorn any day...Ooo-arr...;)

Brizzle.

chrizzy100
06-04-2004, 23:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Chrizzy100 wrote :
I'm from The City Road area...our home was knocked down years ago....my fathers from Knowle West.....then we moved to Fishponds.....then Yate.....[/quote]

Brizzle = Bristol [8D]

Most of my family come from the Knowle West area, my Nan lived there all of her life.
I'm from Brislington but know the City Road / Stokes Croft area pretty well as I work near there.
Spend some (most?) lunch hours in the Bristol Tavern, if I can get out, to do the crossword and get the brain working again...

Tried the Strongbow at Epcot because it said dry...yuck...give me Blackthorn any day...Ooo-arr...;)

Brizzle.
[/quote]

I never even noticed your id......lol.! old age creeping up....my nan was born in the house that back onto the house Cary Grant was born in....I should think both houses were maybe bombed out..or knocked down by now...my dads family lived in Knowle and still do I think.....one of his bothers was born in London and still lives there If hes still alive........