PDA

View Full Version : us airways

casperdje
08-07-2002, 21:40
can anyone suggest a site for independant recent reviews for this and other carriers via internal flights via manchester uk i have searched several web sites for flights and travel agent found one
above for £350 via philadelphia seems good value travelling april 2003 for 3wks and want to book flight and villa asap, heard mixed reviews of us airlines thanks

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-07-2002, 00:56
We went with US Airways from MAN to MCO via PHL in April this year and were very impressed. We too are sceptical about travelling on US airlines as the service does not tend to be very good (at least not in our experience in the past) but have to say that US Airways were very good.

In fact we are going again with them this November.

Aircraft were very new and spacious and the cabin staff were very helpful and polite. The turnaround in PHL could not have been easier.

Go for it! You won't find a better US carrier!

John & Sarah Rooke
www.floridadreamvilla.co.uk
www.orlandovillas.com
www.park-tickets.com
www.orlando-guide.info

sarahj
23-07-2002, 01:34
How does the turnaround work? We are travelling Gatwick - Charlotte - Orlando Int in August. Are bags transferred automatically? I am a schedule flight virgin!!! Have always travelled charter before. We have organised our trip independently, so cannot ask travel agents etc.

SarahJ

sarahj
23-07-2002, 01:36
Forgot to say that we are travelling US Air too, so hope we get the same service that John and Sarah experienced!

SarahJ

Carla
23-07-2002, 02:00
Hi Sarah

Don't worry they are a very good airline. I've also travelled United, American, Delta and TWA in the past couple of years and the service has often been much better than our own home grown airlines (BA and Virgin). It is also miles better than anything that I have ever experienced on a Charter. For one thing you don't have to keep paying for every drink etc. on a scheduled flight.

When you land at Charlotte you will have to collect your bags, go through customs and immigration, because this is the place where you actually entered the USA, and then take your bags to check in for the internal flight from Charlotte to Orlando. Coming back they will be routed all the way through for you, so you will only have to go to the checkin desk to let them know that you have arrived from Orlando and are there for the Charlotte - Gatwick flight.

Have a great time - wish it was me!!!

gordonr
01-10-2002, 13:44
We regularly use US Airways for travel to the US and have found their service to be very good in the past. However on a recent flight to Charlotte in September we found the standard of service in Economy has drastically reduced following the airlines severe financial problems post 9/11.

They now charge quite heavily for alcoholic drinks (£3 or $4) for a small beer or 1/4 bottle of wine (previously free), have removed the ice cream service and the snack served near the end of the flight was not worth having.

Has anyone noticed a similar drop in service from other airlines post 9/11 especially intriducing charges for drinks in Economy?

fiona
01-10-2002, 14:13
We weren't charged with Delta when we flew in July and August this year.

They only give soft drinks on the short haul flights, but you get free alcoholic drinks on long haul.

We are flying US airways in December to Miami. We haven't found the service as good on the US airlines as BA, but when it's just under £250 for a flight you put up with minor inconveniences!

Lesley S
01-10-2002, 14:27
This is what has been posted on the US Airways web site. We have not been informed about this and we are travelling with them in December

Inflight Beverage Service

Beginning September 1, 2002, beer, wine, and spirits will be offered at US$4, €4 (EUR), or £3 (GBP) for Transatlantic Economy Class customers. Flight Attendants will accept cash in any of the three currencies; however, credit cards will not be accepted. Alcoholic beverages continue to be complimentary in First Class and Envoy Class. Non-alcoholic beverages continue to be complimentary in all classes of service, where a wide selection of soft drinks, juices, water, tea, and coffee is available.

esprit
01-10-2002, 22:16
We are flying with them in December as well so I can see it will be a dry flight!! Alcohol just dehydrates you anyway. I am just glad they are still flying after the chapter 11 stuff.

fiona
01-10-2002, 23:02
I don't mind not having any alcohol, although sometimes it does help one sleep!

However, I'd rather have a dry flight - having come back on a virgin flight where some woman had got herself as drunk as a skunk and then spent most of the flight in the loo - need I say anymore? And she was middle aged+ and thought the whole thing was hilarious, bad luck on the rest of us.

After all, a few drinks is neither here nor here in the plan of things is it - and as we are always driving when we arrive, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I always take bottled water with me, whatever flight I go on, it seems to take so long for drinks to arrive and I find I get dehydrated.

dot
08-10-2002, 15:38
Hi

We have flown 4 times since 9/11, 3 times was with us air and could not fault them. In fact in April we could have got a cheaper flight with Delta but opted for us air. Staff very polite and helpful.

Mind you, drinks were still free then.

hilary.colwood
09-10-2002, 01:36
Hi,

We were supposed to go on US Airways in March - we booked through Choice Air.

We have just been notified, that they are no longer using US Airways and we are now going United. (Hopefully- this is the British Midland flight, which was brilliant last March)

Hilary