PDA

View Full Version : Where do Floridians shop

mandyc
04-04-2004, 22:31
I was curious to know where most Floridians shop for bargains etc. I know when I was in Orlando last time one of the Virgin reps was talking about a mall but we never managed to find it. I think they wanted to encourage you on one of there shopping trips for bargains etc.
Mandy
:)

Ray&Sarah
05-04-2004, 00:00
The Florida Mall usually seems to have a good proportion of locals in doing shopping. It is quite large and has a good selection of well known large stores and smaller specialiat ones.

Herbie
05-04-2004, 03:14
Haven't been there myself but was told that Winter Haven has a lot of good shops.

Herbie

esprit
05-04-2004, 07:03
Depends what you are buying. There are loads of shops on OBT and Colonial. Local malls like the one at Altamonte Springs as well as the Florida Mall. And Eagle Ridge Mall and Lakeland Mall in Polk. For clothes and ornaments, try Ross Dress for less and Bealls outlets, also Marshalls.

chrizzy100
05-04-2004, 07:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Depends what you are buying. There are loads of shops on OBT and Colonial. Local malls like the one at Altamonte Springs as well as the Florida Mall. And Eagle Ridge Mall and Lakeland Mall in Polk. For clothes and ornaments, try Ross Dress for less and Bealls outlets, also Marshalls.
[/quote]

I love Marshalls....I get most of my pictures there.....and picture frames.....

asbaum
05-04-2004, 08:11
Where do Floridians shop - why the UK, of course :-)

DMC
05-04-2004, 19:41
From the various friends that we have made over the years, who live in Florida, most seem to have an adversion to shopping [:o)] which seems strange when that seems to be what us Brits go out to the US for.

Anyway, for food and general household items its Wal-mart followed by Publix.

For clothes etc then its the Outlet Malls like the Premium Outlet on I'Drive and also the Florida Mall.

Without fail no one who we have meet, who lives in Florida, ever shops at the Mall of the Mallenia [:0]

They consider it way way too expensive.

Ray&Sarah
05-04-2004, 20:14
Would have to agree with them about the Millenia Mall being expensive, we only went window shopping there. But it was a lovely mall and had a good food hall and a Lindt chocolate shop (mmm!):D

chrizzy100
05-04-2004, 23:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
Would have to agree with them about the Millenia Mall being expensive, we only went window shopping there. But it was a lovely mall and had a good food hall and a Lindt chocolate shop (mmm!):D
[/quote]

I found a nice place there that sold pictures......but then I found near enough the same ones somewhere else for half the price........it bugs my husband that I shop like I do.......but you save so much money shopping around.........he should be happy I'm not out there just spending.....[:o)][:o)][:o)][}:)]

esprit
06-04-2004, 04:09
That shop with the dear pictures in Millenia Mall has some lovely furniture, linen, ornaments, cushons etc. There is a place opposite it which is cheaper for pictures. But I always go int he first place just to look. I could buy up that whole shop. We did buy one picture there which we couldnt find anywhere else. Cost around 4130 but it is lovely.

chrizzy100
06-04-2004, 04:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
That shop with the dear pictures in Millenia Mall has some lovely furniture, linen, ornaments, cushons etc. There is a place opposite it which is cheaper for pictures. But I always go int he first place just to look. I could buy up that whole shop. We did buy one picture there which we couldnt find anywhere else. Cost around 4130 but it is lovely.
[/quote]

We have pictures to bring down from here of my family going back to 1840 so I can't buy to many pics ....but they will make my living room look very Victorian when I've finished......I'm looking online for the firplace and a large mirror......I've found the fireplace but its over $1200 but I'm sure if I carry on hunting I'll find one cheaper.....they sell OK ones in Home Depo.....if I can't find one anywhere else.....that I can work with and stain and add too.....

blott
06-04-2004, 16:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:4130[/quote] Is that 4130 dollars? [:0]

chrizzy100
06-04-2004, 20:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:4130[/quote] Is that 4130 dollars? [:0]
[/quote]

I think its $130.....the $ and the 4 are on the same key.....but maybe shes just a rich Brit throwing her money all over Orlando without a care in the world..........[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

fiona
06-04-2004, 20:13
I think Julie meant $130 - just that her finger slipped on the $ sign Blottie!

blott
06-04-2004, 22:04
Phew! Just that she said it was dear and if it was that price, she wasn't joking! [msnoo]

chrizzy100
06-04-2004, 22:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Phew! Just that she said it was dear and if it was that price, she wasn't joking! [msnoo]
[/quote]

shes spending all those pennies she keeps finding in the rental home sofa's......[msnwink][msnwink][msnsmile]

mandyc
07-04-2004, 21:48
Florida Mall sounds great, can you give directions. Also with grocery shopping is it best to try Walmart and is there one close to Emerald Island.
:)

Ray&Sarah
07-04-2004, 22:45
We find Publix best for groceries and Walmart for just about anything else. Publix is the US equivilant to Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys (don't want to be accused of favouritism!)[msnsmile]

mandyc
08-04-2004, 00:26
We are staying at Emerald Island, is there a publix nearby?

Mandy

fiona
08-04-2004, 03:41
There is Mandy, turn left at the traffic lights at Formosa Gardens Shopping Plaza, up the road for a few minutes to Orange Lakes Plaza on right, and there it is.

Gillian-B
08-04-2004, 04:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mandyc
Florida Mall sounds great, can you give directions. [/quote]

Florida Mall is on the corner of Sand Lake Road and Orange Blossom Trail. The easiest way from Emerald Island (I think) is to head east (which is really going north!) on I4 to the Sand Lake Road turning, go east on Sand Lake to the junction with OBT, go over the junction and turn immediate right into Florida Mall.

Newhomebuyer
08-04-2004, 11:49
We enjoy the Florida Fashion Mall, which is off West Colonial Drive. Its not so large as the Florida Mall or so expensie as The Millenia Mall There are a couple of good 'accents shops' and you can always check out all those great furniture stores along WCD. There always seem to be more locals than tourists,there.

mandyc
08-04-2004, 12:29
Thanks for your help:)
Mandy

Ray&Sarah
08-04-2004, 12:29
Just don't ask the security guard in the Florida Mall carpark where it is as eh didn't have a clue. The first time we went it wasn't as well sign posted as it is now and we couldn't find it, We were expecting a big entrance like shopping centres here. So when all we could find was a couple of big shops we stopped and asked the security guard where the Florida Mall was and he said he hadn't heard of it. When we got back to our hotel we asked there and discovered we had been in its carpark outside Sears. Perhaps it was a accent thing or maybe he didn't want us Brits to pick up all the bargains.:D[msnwink]

mandyc
09-04-2004, 00:40
I won't look out for any large malls then, what landmark can I look out for.

Mandy:)

Ray&Sarah
09-04-2004, 01:55
The Florida Mall is pretty well sign posted now. We didn't have any trouble finding it on our return to Orlando.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
09-04-2004, 02:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mandyc
I won't look out for any large malls then, what landmark can I look out for.

Mandy:)
[/quote]

We always look out for Rooms To Go.....and drive through their car park.....

mandyc
09-04-2004, 02:34
Thanks for your advice, just look forward to doing some hefty shopping now.:)

Susan J
25-05-2004, 13:57
Or, you can go down 192, to John Young Parkway, or Orange Blossom trail, and follow down a few miles to the signs. OR go to celebration, and get on 417, come off on OBt and follow to FM, OR as above, but Osceola PArkway to OBT.

Sharon G
27-05-2004, 01:33
Home Depot!!!!!![msneek][msneek][msneek]

..................Great for garden furniture,plants etc!!!!

Equivelant to our B & Q !!!!!
Like to think I'm a local (I wish) well part-time[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Bought some really nice "Disney" stick arounds for the kids bedrooms.

Sharon