PDA

View Full Version : hello

Didi oliver
04-04-2004, 14:44
Hello there everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Didi and YES I am another one of those that are looking into moving to Florida. However I am hoping to rent property and live there , at first for 1 or 2 years and then see how it goes and take it from there. Being a single Mum of 11 and 9 year olds, and that alone gives me plenty to think about and consider. But I know that if we don't do it soon.............we never will. I'm not looking to do this in a hurry and anticipate this to happen in about 2 years. so any info,help and advice you can give me would be gratefully appreciated......

Ray&Sarah
04-04-2004, 15:01
Hello Didi and welcome to the forum. You will find an amazing amount of helpful information on here to help you out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, emigrating isn't easy both practically and emotionally. Hope it all works out.[msnsmile2]

Didi oliver
04-04-2004, 15:47
thanks for that.I'm having fun trying to find long term rentals though, any ideas. either that or buy, but that i will have to gather a lot of info on too !

Lakul
04-04-2004, 15:57
Hi Didi

How long are you planning to stay?? What are you looking to do when you get there?

steph_goodrum
04-04-2004, 16:35
Didi
I don't want to pour cold water on your plans but did you realise that the longest you can stay (if you get a B2 visa) is for 6 months. Unless you are investing money or can prove you have a job offer from a company willing to sponsor you (which it must be proved cannot be filled by a US citizen) then this is really the only visa you can apply for.
Of all the difficulties you will face trying to achieve this , believe finding the home will be the easy part, getting the permission to go and use it would we the hardest.

Didi oliver
04-04-2004, 18:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lakul
Hi Didi

How long are you planning to stay?? What are you looking to do when you get there?
[/quote]
I'm looking to stay for at least a year,but knowing about the 6 month rule, is it posible ( if I haven't got job set before I go) to come out for a while and return for a 2nd 6 months. Hopefully tho I will have a job sorted out before I go. I have a couple of options already re job whilst there

steph_goodrum
06-04-2004, 01:04
Didi
The normal visa won't allow you to work whilst you are there, if you are working for a firm they send you to US to work then you will be ok but if you enter on a tourist visa you can't seek work.
You can only stay for 180 in any 365 so wouldn't be able to leave and re-enter.
I feel as though I am spoiling all your plans but thought it best to tell you the reality before you set your heart on it. It is possible if you have enough money to buy a business, but as you say as a single mum with 2 children it would be a terrific committment to even be able to afford to live over there. Many with 2 salaries coming in struggle to afford things like healthcare costs etc.