PDA

View Full Version : Turning left into shops etc on US192

Nostromo
30-03-2004, 15:37
If one wants to turn LEFT into a shop, restaurant, supermarket or similar business venue while on the 192 going either way, how does one do it? Do we have to wait till the next traffic light or a break in the barrier to do a U-turn or are there facilities for a left turn in some places? My problem will be turning left into PUBLIX on the US192 while going east on that road. Coming for Orange Tree, I have to turn left into the US192 and head east to reach Publix, which will then be to my left on the other side of the road.

chrisj
30-03-2004, 15:45
There are area's marked on the roads where you can turn left, Im sure someone can confirm
this as im not sure how frequent they are.

Nostromo
30-03-2004, 16:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
There are area's marked on the roads where you can turn left, Im sure someone can confirm
this as im not sure how frequent they are.
[/quote]

Yes, that is the problem. When we went to Orlando again in 2001 after a gap of over 2 years, I could have sworn that some of these left turn facilities on the 192 had changed. But this was further east, not anywhere near the villas. This is the first time that we are renting a villa (as opposed to staying in a hotel or resort) and so the roads near US27 will be new to us.

chrisj
30-03-2004, 16:22
Must admit have just checked a road map and all the places we have ear-marked to eat in
are on the other side of the road, so looks as though we will be looking out for all the
little area's to turn as well.

Claire M
30-03-2004, 16:32
There are traffic lights for the turning to Publix, just past Orange Lakes.

caroline
30-03-2004, 16:38
I can't tell you any specifics - but I know we regularly turn left on the 192 to get to various restaurants, bank, shops etc and have never had any problems there are usually lanes within the central reservation (not what the US call it!) for every major group of shops etc

blott
30-03-2004, 17:50
You'll find a specific lane in the middle of the 192 with left turn arrows marked on it where you're allowed to turn, as Caroline says. In some places, there is a grassed area with left turn lanes and slots in it. Other than that, if there are traffic lights at a junction, there's normally a left turn green light.

Be very careful when turning left as it's like doing a right turn in the UK and easy to make a mistake. If in doubt, take the next right turn with a traffic light junction, turn around down that road and come back again with the traffic lights. Taking a few more minutes is a lot less expensive than making a mistake and having an accident!

Ana
30-03-2004, 18:54
I can't remember exactly - but the filter traffic lights seem to allow plenty of time for U-turns

jeffc
30-03-2004, 19:01
the publixs on the end of the 192/27 now has lights so you just get in the left lane and wait for the green signal..

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-03-2004, 19:28
They normally have what I call crawler lanes (don't ask me why I call them that!) in the middle of the road where you can safely wait until a gap in the traffic in the opposite way.

chrisj
30-03-2004, 19:42
The only issue I found with these was at night, the roads are not lit as well as they
are here

Nostromo
30-03-2004, 21:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jeffc
the publixs on the end of the 192/27 now has lights so you just get in the left lane and wait for the green signal..

[/quote]

Thanks, but are you quite sure? If so, this will be a great help because we foresee making a few trips to Publix during our 3 week stay at Orange Tree.

chrizzy100
30-03-2004, 21:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
The only issue I found with these was at night, the roads are not lit as well as they
are here
[/quote]

Its a lot better lit in FL then up here......a lot of the streets have no street lights......or even a real road for that matter......only homes on HOAs have real roads and streetlights.....

jeffc
30-03-2004, 21:53
positive we are living here my house is ready friday on orange tree..

if you dont like left hand turns the publix on the 27 is only minutes further from the 192 turn off ...

ps theres traffic lights there aswell..

getting out of orange tree at the moment is not to good the 27 is busy and the traffic from clermont is also pretty busy..just take your time and wait for a space...

i believe that there are plans to put traffic lights at orange tree in the near future but no date yet...

Nostromo
30-03-2004, 22:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:getting out of orange tree at the moment is not to good the 27 is busy and the traffic from clermont is also pretty busy..just take your time and wait for a space...

i believe that there are plans to put traffic lights at orange tree in the near future but no date yet...
[/quote]

You mean there are no traffic lights now? Yikes! WE have to turn LEFT out of Orange Tree into US192 every day!

I have no problem with left turns since I have driven a lot in the USA, including in the heart of San Francisco. But the prospect of waiting for a space and then zipping across the highway to turn left in the morning rush hour does not appeal to me if one had to do it daily. So how bad is it?

jeffc
30-03-2004, 22:28
at times bad but its not like crossing the m25 ..you might only have to wait a couple of mins..

Ray&Sarah
31-03-2004, 02:55
Jeff,
What are you doing crossing the M25, will we see you on Police, Camera, Action next series!!!!:D:D:D[msnwink]

esprit
31-03-2004, 09:05
Go down 27 to the Publix near Highlands which is very little further on Right turn into it. lights for left turn back, no need to join 192 from 27 or 27 from 192, both easily as difficult as turning left.

Nostromo
31-03-2004, 19:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Go down 27 to the Publix near Highlands which is very little further on Right turn into it. lights for left turn back, no need to join 192 from 27 or 27 from 192, both easily as difficult as turning left.
[/quote]

Thank you, that is a good idea. Is this Publix anywhere near Exit #55 of I-4 where US27 meets it? I have heard that there are a lot of roadworks going on there and the traffic is humongous.

bridget
20-04-2004, 20:58
I just u turn - is that ok? Also the 192 used to be an absolute nightmare at night. Loads of traffic - where do they all come from? Does anyone know if it's still like that?

janny
20-04-2004, 22:09
the only trouble with the Publix on the 27 is thatif you go at the wrong time i.e. rush hour time the lights to turn left back upo the 27 arenot controlled so you are at the mercy of the traffic.I was there for ages in march waiting for a gap both ways.!