PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

prettymoon
30-03-2004, 00:54
I am in the process of moving to Florida I have bought a car and am looking for a good Insurance company can anyone help.
Also how long does it take to get a Florida Driving Licence?
Any help in these matters would be great.
:)

chrizzy100
30-03-2004, 01:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by prettymoon
I am in the process of moving to Florida I have bought a car and am looking for a good Insurance company can anyone help.
Also how long does it take to get a Florida Driving Licence?
Any help in these matters would be great.
:)
[/quote]

I think you have to get your FL licence within the first month of moving there to carry on driving......it should take you half a day to do the questions and the same to take the test......around 3 hours on a good day..the DMV is where they send old ladies to work before taking them out to shot them....

I've yet to price insurance in FL so I'd also be interested in any good companies.....

esprit
30-03-2004, 08:30
You can just do your test in one day, Take your passport, 1-94 and UK license. They do eye test, written test ( download highway code off the net, takes a couple of days to learn) and then driving test one after the other. The driving test is around a car park and is really just manoevres. You can get an appointment however they are running about 5 weeks ahead, or you can just turn up and wait your turn. Suggest you arrive at 7.30 am!! Whole lot took me about 5 hours.
Geico seems quite cheap for insurance. Think it is www.geico.com. I am with Progessive currently and they seem dearer than Geico.

prettymoon
30-03-2004, 14:00
Thanks to all who replyed and i'll try that out I have a quote but its for $1500 for 6 months. will let you know how it compares.

jeffc
30-03-2004, 18:54
we are paying about the same as you quoted for 6 months and thats for me and the wife for a dodge durango with gieco..

if you want a quick test try leesberg on the us27 you can book and the wait time is 3 days just booked my son (16) and he turned up 9.00 on a tuesday morn and we left at 11.00 fully tested and ready to go..

for more info just ask,,,

chrizzy100
30-03-2004, 21:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
You can just do your test in one day, Take your passport, 1-94 and UK license. They do eye test, written test ( download highway code off the net, takes a couple of days to learn) and then driving test one after the other. The driving test is around a car park and is really just manoevres. You can get an appointment however they are running about 5 weeks ahead, or you can just turn up and wait your turn. Suggest you arrive at 7.30 am!! Whole lot took me about 5 hours.
Geico seems quite cheap for insurance. Think it is www.geico.com. I am with Progessive currently and they seem dearer than Geico.
[/quote]

So you can take everything in one day in FL......I was not sure..........we can't.....but then we had a year before needing to take a test.....so its not such a rush........

chrizzy100
30-03-2004, 21:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by prettymoon
Thanks to all who replyed and i'll try that out I have a quote but its for $1500 for 6 months. will let you know how it compares.
[/quote]

Does no-one in FL take your Brit no claims.....I heard that a lot of US companies no longer do that......we were lucky and got a full discount as if we'd been driving in the USA for years......

esprit
31-03-2004, 09:12
Progressive did take ours, Chrizzy, though we had to argue the point because they kept asking why no amount was given for liability on the document ( it is unlimited in the UK). However the quote was still dearer than Geicos was and they never asked. Is the 16 year old on that policy Jeff and if so is he on a learners permit still cos they dont seem to charge extra for kids on a learners permit but they load it on as soon as they pass the test.

chrizzy100
31-03-2004, 10:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Progressive did take ours, Chrizzy, though we had to argue the point because they kept asking why no amount was given for liability on the document ( it is unlimited in the UK). However the quote was still dearer than Geicos was and they never asked. Is the 16 year old on that policy Jeff and if so is he on a learners permit still cos they dont seem to charge extra for kids on a learners permit but they load it on as soon as they pass the test.

[/quote]

Ours is always around $1200 a year for one new car a grand-am coupe and a Saturn Coupe about 4 years old when we got it.....both fully com......

My 16 year old will be paying $2000 a year to drive.....he has a v8 carmro.....

jeffc
31-03-2004, 18:50
to get my son on the insurance its costing 600 dollars for 3 months.
then they say its going to cost about a extra $100 dollars a month from then on.

yes he has a learners permit which he has to have for a year before he can take a driving test.
he has taken the drug awareness test and the eye test and the question and answer test..

i tried to get my no claims transfered from the uk but nobody would even talk about them... will try progressive sounds good...

chrizzy100
31-03-2004, 21:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jeffc
to get my son on the insurance its costing 600 dollars for 3 months.
then they say its going to cost about a extra $100 dollars a month from then on.

yes he has a learners permit which he has to have for a year before he can take a driving test.
he has taken the drug awareness test and the eye test and the question and answer test..

i tried to get my no claims transfered from the uk but nobody would even talk about them... will try progressive sounds good...
[/quote]

Most companies will let kids drive with permits on their parents insurance at no extra cost.....we just have to phone and give them his name....

jeffc
31-03-2004, 22:17
chrizzy100

i tired with geico and esure and both stated about the same..

if you have details of companies that add on for no cost please let me know names..

chrizzy100
31-03-2004, 22:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jeffc
chrizzy100

i tired with geico and esure and both stated about the same..

if you have details of companies that add on for no cost please let me know names..
[/quote]

We use a local company for our area only......Julie may know of someone local to you that will add for free.....or maybe some Americans here may know bigger companies that do it......

fllion
01-04-2004, 17:58
try ALLSTATE Ins ,we have 2 cars me & wife for 6 months is $900.00
they are realy good, we had a smash just before xmas ,they took care of every thing ,car rental ,Med Bills .