PDA

View Full Version : Frequent flyer miles

scamhammer
26-03-2004, 12:57
Having been collecing freequent flyer miles for many years, I finally decided to use them to fly to Florida over Easter as flight prices seemed to be at their peak.

However, I was most disappointed when the only availability I could get over the four week period was via Los Angeles! This would have been a 36 hour trip from door to door

Nigel W
26-03-2004, 13:02
That would be a nice day out -- not!![msnmad]

athurstance
26-03-2004, 13:13
I have thousands of Virgin frequent flyer miles but never have been able to cash them in as we can only travel in peak times and they never allow any availability then. I do keep an eye out for availability though so hopefully eventually I'll get to use them up.

chrisj
26-03-2004, 13:18
We are going to use ours next year going somewhere in Europe with BMI

mr flibble
26-03-2004, 14:12
Hi:)
I am interested to know what frequent flyer cards/memberships
we all have.
To start the ball rolling We have a B.A. card and have had two upgrades on the last two flights to the USA.:D
What about YOU !!!
Ian[msnwink]

chrisj
26-03-2004, 14:43
We both have Virgin and Cyprus airways

Through work I have BA and BMI

steph_goodrum
26-03-2004, 15:19
"I have thousands of Virgin frequent flyer miles but never have been able to cash them in as we can only travel in peak times and they never allow any availability then"

That's not necessarily right Angela. I think the trick is to book the seats as close to the release date (330 days in most cases) as possible.
My husband , daughter and I used miles to pay for our trip in Mid August last year to LA (we could also have had Orlando) and just had to pay £43 tax each (we also got bumped into Upper Class when we got to airport as we agreed to get flight 3 hrs later), I think it is more a case of only a few seats avaialable. We have almost enough miles for another trip and we'll be using them at peak time rather than when we can get the cheapy flights.

Ana
26-03-2004, 16:12
Does anyone know whether Star Alliance (BMI, SAS etc) are going to keep on their affiliation with Virgin?

I only ask because of the Star offer to match status from any frequent flyer program. Also, I booked a BMI flight a couple of days ago, and was not given the option to put my Virgin details in.

http://www.ukstatus.co.uk/Welcome_Member.aspx

This is the website to update your Star status - offer open until May. You have to open a loyalty account with one of the airlines first if you don't have one already.

Michelle
26-03-2004, 21:03
We have Delta Sky Miles, and have so far had 3 free trips to Florida, When we have used our Delta Sky frequent flyer miles we were able to used them during July last year, and 2 years ago also used them during the peak season, but had to book flights 11 months in advance when using our Delta sky miles, we also have United Airlines Mileage plus programe after our July trip this year will have enough for another free transatlantic flight.

Ray&Sarah
26-03-2004, 21:35
You asked Ian so here we go!
Virgin Silver Frequent Flyer includes Star Alliance
BA Silver Frequent Flyer
Delta/Air France
American Airways
United Airways
KLM Airways
US Airways
[msncool]
And then there are the Hotels:
Marriott
Hilton Honours
Best Western
Elite
Holiday Inn
You should see the size of my wallet!!!
:D:D:D

mr flibble
26-03-2004, 23:26
Hi Ray & Sarah:D
I`m impressed,I presume all of them were free[?]
I think you can get little wheels for a big wallet at Walmart[msnwink]
Ian

wilfy
27-03-2004, 00:41
We used BA airmiles the year before last in August, and we booked only about 6 weeks before. When i phoned BA about availability (as there was none in August) they said to keep checking as they do come available even during this peak period.

steph_goodrum
27-03-2004, 02:58
"You should see the size of my wallet!!!"

How I love it when a man says that.
:D:D:D:D

Even better when he knows how to open it.:D:D

SunLover
27-03-2004, 08:57
LOL Steph :D

scamhammer
30-03-2004, 16:39
It turns out that airline records show that only nine per cent (sic) of frequent flyers miles are redeemed. Some of the companies boast to their shareholders about how good they are at restricting use of them.

(Source: NBC Today 29.3.2004)

Ana
30-03-2004, 17:45
I certainly use all of mine!

paulm
22-04-2004, 17:04
You can exchange Virgin frequent flyer miles for either Virgin Holidays vouchers or for Virgin Travelstore vouchers.

This would not be as cheap as using them for special offers from Virgin Atlantic but the vouchers can be used for fly drives/holidays with Virgin Holidays or ANY flights/fly drives/holidays booked with Virgin Travelstore at any time of the year you want to travel.

Virgin Travelstore vouchers can be used for any companies holidays booked with them, not just for Virgin Holidays ones.

Floridafriend
11-05-2004, 22:12
I have a Virgin Silver membership card and have used it to pay for upgrades from economy and this also gives you premiuim economy check in which is useful in busy times when flying economy. 12500 virgin miles equates to a £50 car hire voucher to be used against the total cost and lots of other bargains.My friend also supplements this by having a virgin Credit card which gives a mile for each £ spent and also has free flight offers, plus Virgin wine club which offers miles etc too. Added together this gives a lot of potential miles. We have managed to get 10 free return flights in this years summer holidays flying from Gatwick to Orlando and then NY to Heathrow stopping overnight in NY. The internal flight only worked out at £52 pp and will enable us to take the children round the sights in NY. I have also joined Holiday Inn Priority club. This gives an auomatic upbgrade on rooms booked at Holiday Inns etc plus other benefits and does not cost anything.

Ray&Sarah
12-05-2004, 03:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mr flibble
Ian
[/quote]

Ray travels abroad alot with his job (he's a change agent - we call him 001.5), so has collected all the cards he mentioned over a period of eightenn months, all free. we reckon he can get half way across the Atlantic with BA and will then need to change to Virgin for the rest of the trip!!!:D[msnwink]

fiona
12-05-2004, 04:52
We have BA card, travelled free to NY last year (didn't book to MCO in time!) and got upgraded on return flight to business.

mr flibble
12-05-2004, 17:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mr flibble
Ian
[/quote]

Ray travels abroad alot with his job (he's a change agent - we call him 001.5), so has collected all the cards he mentioned over a period of eightenn months, all free. we reckon he can get half way across the Atlantic with BA and will then need to change to Virgin for the rest of the trip!!!:D[msnwink]
[/quote]

Hi:)
I`ve seen military aircraft being refuelled mid flight but
I didn`t know that you could change from BA to Virgin in mid air
now that`s what I call clever[msnwink]
Ian

sunseeker
14-05-2004, 03:17
Ray travels abroad alot with his job (he's a change agent - we call him 001.5), so has collected all the cards he mentioned over a period of eightenn months, all free. we reckon he can get half way across the Atlantic with BA and will then need to change to Virgin for the rest of the trip!!!

Good trick if you can do it Ray;):D

Dave

brizzle
14-05-2004, 22:39
So how many trips to Orlando with Virgin and in what time period to get a free flight?

I've registered with the flying club and it just all confuses me, apart from I now have 8672 miles (and I assume another 8672 to come in November) I don't know how often I need to fly to gain anything from it.

Anyone care to explain in laymens terms?

Brizzle

steph_goodrum
14-05-2004, 22:47
40,000 miles get you a free round trip economy ticket to USA Brizzle , you just have to pay the tax, when we went to LA last summer it was £43 each.
So basically if you do 5 trips in economy you get the 6th free.

brizzle
14-05-2004, 22:53
Cool, so 5 trips in a specific time period (i.e. within 2 years) or just 5 trips?
I've tried reading up and it mentions companion rewards for 20,000 miles.
Could I book a return and get a free return for my wife at 20,000 in this case?

I think when I get to 20,000 I may just book a single and pay the return. Too impatient to wait for 40,000 miles :)

Brizzle

steph_goodrum
15-05-2004, 02:09
Its a rolling timescale Brizzle, the miles last for 3 years after your last trip, so each time you make another trip the 3 years start again.
I'm not sure on the companion flights but I think that for your wife to qualify for a free trip your flight must be within certain fare codes in economy (M being the lowest if I remember rightly). So you have to be paying the normal published fare price not a discounted fare.
They often have miles for money offers where you use something like 2000 miles and get a discounted fare although when we've looked for orlando its never been any cheaper than we can get from an agent.

Matt
28-06-2004, 16:18
The trick in getting these flights using miles, as already mentioned above, is to get them booked as soon as the flights go on sale.

To get a partner fare on miles you have to purchase a full fare economy/premium/upper.

MilesPlusMoney do offer some good deals now and then, however, you will not earn any more miles for these flights (which I think is wrong, maybe not for economy, but if you had a premium MPM then get economy miles and upper get premium...if you know what I mean).

I have a Flying Club Gold[msnwink] with Virgin and had many free and upgrade flights, if flying with BMI you get miles and Delta plus some other airlines and hotels (not all STARalliance partners though). Virgin Wines (here's a link for Virgin Wines http://www.valuewines.at/keybreeze), Virgin Money, Virgin Cars.

I also have Air France, Aer Lingus, BA, KLM (loads of flights with KLM too...Aruba was great).

To build up your miles with any airline, you need to keep your eyes open for special deals and bonus miles. With Virgin I currently have 280,000 miles and most certainly not all through flying.

Matt

ukwizard
03-07-2004, 05:26
I use the BMI diamond club instead of the Virgin club

I was a member of both, but found BMI to be generally better. You can still collect BMI miles when you fly on Virgin, or any star alliance plane, so thats BMI, US Airways, United or Air Canada to the States, so I can generally pay the lowest fare and get some miles, all in one place.

The miles + money option on BMI is good because you can collect 25000 miles, and add £ 120 to it to get a flight anywhere in the States (you get one free stopover, so for example you can do Manchester -&gt; Washington -&gt; Orlando), which tends to give more availability.

The best option I find though, is to save 37500 miles, and use miles + money to add £ 200 and get a business class ticket all the way - its a good way to travel!

To get 37500 miles you can fly back and forward about 4 times, or pick times when airlines like US ariways are doing double miles to speed it up, or even apply for the BMI credit card as they give you 20,000 miles to start you off.

I flew business class via Toronto a few weeks ago, there were three of us in the main cabin, with our own chef , beds, and service that was amazing.

My Virgin card tends to stay in the draw now as I found getting to 45000 for an economy ticket hard work!

Andy

adh619
03-07-2004, 11:05
we have a Virgin account and have never had problems booking to use them (collect them through Amex as well) earlier this year we booked a peak flight - you just have to get in early.

Tony

rosie
03-07-2004, 12:27
We just booked a companion flight on Virgin for Sept with no problems.

Al paid full fare for Premium and got my flight for 30,000 miles. So we basically got PE flights at half price. Not sure if thats the best way to use your miles bt it suited us.

trevlad
03-07-2004, 16:46
ive flown virgin to ny twice and to orlando twice and ba to ny in last 3 years but with exception of ba, all have been via broker/travel agent/sports company.

do you have to book direct to get the airmiles, do you have to pre register. or can you register late and claim back?

trev

brizzle
03-07-2004, 17:57
I booked through this site and got to register my airmiles so I think you can have them no matter how you book.
You can also add unused miles but normally only if the flight was less than 6 months ago.

I just registered for free on the Virgin flight for the Flying Club. After November we only have to fly twice more to Orlando and we get a free return flight (or one more and we get a free one-way flight).

Brizzle

Ian Dee
03-07-2004, 23:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by paulm
You can exchange Virgin frequent flyer miles for either Virgin Holidays vouchers or for Virgin Travelstore vouchers.

This would not be as cheap as using them for special offers from Virgin Atlantic but the vouchers can be used for fly drives/holidays with Virgin Holidays or ANY flights/fly drives/holidays booked with Virgin Travelstore at any time of the year you want to travel.

Virgin Travelstore vouchers can be used for any companies holidays booked with them, not just for Virgin Holidays ones.

[/quote]
Interesting about the Virgin Flighstore, but as they dont deal with the public, I assumed it was not possible with the Flightstore as you have to go through an agent - so how does that work?

BTW as far as loyalty cards go I have another one too
but does Tesco Club card count in this topic[msnwink]

Matt
04-07-2004, 16:09
Ian, Virgin Travelstore is open to anybody.

However, they have just withdrawn from the Flying Club programme so you can no longer use miles.

They are also closing altogether shortly anyway.

Matt