PDA

View Full Version : Boggy Creek Airboats

walden64
26-03-2004, 10:19
Having never been to Boggy Creek and after reading the recommendations of a couple of our guests we have decided to give this a try and have ordered my tickets for the daytime tours.
Can anyone tell which is the best of the two locations and the best time in the day to go to see the wildlife?
There will be 10 of us and we are going in July.

Thanks

Michelle

firsttimer
26-03-2004, 17:27
My sister went on a night time one and said it was very important to keep your mouth shut or you got a mouth full of moths!!

Ana
26-03-2004, 18:00
Yuk! My kids (and hubby) would freak!

blott
26-03-2004, 18:17
I've been to both locations and think that the one at Southport near Poinciana was the better of the two for the wildlife. But, as with all wild creatures, it's mostly a matter of luck but you have the vast local knowledge of the airboat driver on your side.

In July it's going to be hot but gators are cold blooded and need warmth to get going but you need them to be in one place in order to spot them! I'd suggest either around 10 - 11 or 4 - 5 as possible good times at that time of year.

Ana
26-03-2004, 18:30
Can anyone comment on the parasailing at Boggy Creek v Contemporary Resort?

firsttimer
19-04-2004, 18:00
Sorry no info about para sailing but we did airboat at Boggy creek on Easter Sunday (fish camp one) and I was a bit disappointed. It was 30 mins, and went every 10 minutes. It was a good trill ride but not really a good wildlife ride. We saw no gators- he said it was too warm, 2 turtles and a handfull of birds. To be honest I thought it was more to do with the number of boats and continuous disturbance that wildlife was missing.
If we ever go again I might do one at a smaller operation or even a hire your own one.
Don't forget to look for money off vouchers for all these attractions in the voucher books you can pick up.

blott
19-04-2004, 22:46
Ah, you went to the wrong one (see above)!

Y
20-04-2004, 19:19
We went to the Southport location airboat ride on Easter Saturday at about midday when it was quite hot and still saw quite a few large gators farely close up and lots of birds.
We didn,t see hardly any other airboats either only the one before us in the distance
I would throughly recommmend it as our driver/guide was very informative.

chrisj
20-04-2004, 19:20
We plan to go this year, but forgot to order the tickets :D

Pluto
20-04-2004, 22:55
What is the best time of day to go in July[?]

chrisj
21-04-2004, 01:06
We are thinking of going about 4-5pm, we are there at the end of July

orlandobabe
13-05-2004, 17:21
I've been to both locations a good couple of times each.

I think Boggy Creek is the prettier location-and with a trip to the restaurant you can easily spend half a day or more there if you want to experience life at a more tranquil pace.

Southport Park you definietely see more wildlife-but not as scenic and no restaurant-so you'd pretty much do the ride and that's it.

We went to Southport on Sunday-nowhere near as many gators as Feb-but at least we saw some.

Also a really big turtle had made it's way up the bank as was digging this hole right in front of us-yotally oblivios to everyone around. Then it jst got up made for the wire fence-got it's head under it and just barged it's way through-very comical!!

So it's up to you really-each one is different.

blott
13-05-2004, 18:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Southport Park you definietely see more wildlife-but not as scenic and no restaurant-so you'd pretty much do the ride and that's it.[/quote] It does have a cafe and a picnic area though! [msnwink]

chrizzy100
13-05-2004, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Southport Park you definietely see more wildlife-but not as scenic and no restaurant-so you'd pretty much do the ride and that's it.[/quote] It does have a cafe and a picnic area though! [msnwink]
[/quote]

I remember having a picnic at Yellowstone park.......and worrying all the time about bears......big cats.....or wolves .....I'm not an outdoors person if large wildlife live nearby....unlike in England where I'd camp or eat anywhere..... as long as its away from New Forest ponies...those things are mean.......:D:D

blott
13-05-2004, 19:18
I don't think you'd find too many of any of those at Southport somehow... :D

george
13-05-2004, 19:33
You do get them a bit north in Ocala<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
I don't think you'd find too many of any of those at Southport somehow... :D
[/quote]

oakdale
18-05-2004, 16:48
[8D]Hi, Where is Boggy Creek?
and can you go on an air boat there?
Regards Anna

Ang
18-05-2004, 17:57
Hi
We went to Southport Ponciana there was 15 in our party so we had the hole boat to ourselves. Saw lots of gators including baby ones which the guide told us had left their mother very early as they weren't even 12 inches long. Gators were also basking near the riverbank close to where you board the boat.

Good fun, keep your mouth shut cos you do get some spray from the water.

Ang

blott
18-05-2004, 19:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by oakdale
[8D]Hi, Where is Boggy Creek?
and can you go on an air boat there?
Regards Anna
[/quote]Boggy Creek has two locations but the Southport one is the best. http://www.bcairboats.com has a map and info.

andrewmckay5
18-05-2004, 20:05
Hi Anna,
in my opinion Boggy Creek is one of the highlights of Orlando; both the day and night rides.
andrew

orlandobabe
19-05-2004, 00:47
when you say night rides-do you really mean when it's dark or just when it's dusk

blott
19-05-2004, 01:15
No, it really is night as in dark! :D

andrewmckay5
19-05-2004, 01:42
Yep Dark,
the "driver" wears atype of miners hat with a torch on and flings his head around to light up and point out things. Or looks down to show the 15' alligator swimming under the airboat!

AndyC
03-06-2004, 00:23
I've read somewhere that you can hire "self-drive" airboats, is this associated with Boggy Creek, anyone any experience of this

blott
03-06-2004, 02:31
You can rent a self drive airboat on the 192, just past Wal-Mart and on the same side. I've not seen anything self drive at either Boggy Creek location.

chrisj
03-06-2004, 13:45
You cant miss the sign either, We were tempted last year to do this, but never got round
to it

IanW
07-06-2004, 16:45
A Disney guide book advised that to see the most wildlife aim to ride the first boat in the morning. May not apply to alligators but some wildlife is scared off by the earlier boats. Not sure how early they start though.
Ian

Carla
07-06-2004, 17:00
Also IanW that's when they are out looking for food. By afternoon it's way too hot for most wildlife so they just slink off somewhere cool.
:D:D

blott
07-06-2004, 18:20
Our lake alligator or alligators (I can't tell one from another!) usually are to be spotted around late afternoon (like 4 pm onwards) on the surface of the lake after a good warm up during the day.

As alligators are cold blooded and need warmth to get them going (a bit like a coffee at breakfast time for humans!) I can't see how recommending anyone go first thing in the morning is going to be very fruitful as they should just be clapped out somewhere at that time trying to warm up.

eclipsed
13-08-2004, 00:58
We went to Boggy Creek in February,great fun,got wet through becase we sat at the front,but didn't mind.Didn't manage to see much wildlife, probably 'cos it was cold and dull.

walden64
13-08-2004, 10:10
We did go to Boggy Creek when were out in July and had a great time. Plenty of wildlife and even a few gators. We arrived for 9.30am and were on the first boat out at 10am.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone - so different from the parks.

Michelle

anna maria freak
16-08-2004, 19:19
Does anyone know if these would be suitable to take a two year old on

grateful for any help

lorraine

blott
16-08-2004, 19:37
Yes, they'll love it! Just make sure he/she doesn't sit on an edge seat in case they get too enthusiastic!

anna maria freak
16-08-2004, 19:46
Thanks Blott :) what would I do without you [?] Probably learn the hard way [msncry]

Lorraine

hadrian
19-08-2004, 23:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by walden64
We did go to Boggy Creek when were out in July and had a great time. Plenty of wildlife and even a few gators. We arrived for 9.30am and were on the first boat out at 10am.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone - so different from the parks.

Michelle
[/quote]

We timed this badly last week. We arrived at 12.30 and just missed a boat. We eventually went out at 1.20 and saw a bald eagle, numerous birds but little else. I wish we had gone earlier but we did something else first thing.

Kiddie001
30-09-2004, 18:20
any info on cost of the airboat rides?

cheers

Ian

blott
30-09-2004, 18:37
The prices are on their website http://www.bcairboats.com but note that you can get discount prices from the link at the top of each forum page, ie http://www.park-tickets.com

Sally D
30-10-2004, 14:28
We went on Boggycreek airboats in April and it was great. Saw plenty of gators and other wildlife. We will be going on them again.

eclipsed
14-01-2005, 21:03
we went to the Boggy Creek location last February,we went around 10am,no queues, sat at the front, got soaked, loved it.

Nostromo
14-01-2005, 21:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eclipsed
we went to the Boggy Creek location last February,we went around 10am,no queues, sat at the front, got soaked, loved it.
[/quote]

Good, but did you get to see any 'gators and other wildlife?

Ray&Sarah
14-01-2005, 21:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eclipsed
[/quote]

Sounds like a recommendation, I wonder if I can talk my sons into going on one.:D

njstringer
16-01-2005, 21:01
We did the Poincian Boggy Creek Airboats last August, had a fantastic driver who took us to various places around the lake pointing out aligators sitting on nests and birds with nests etc., we found it really educational.

We all enjoyed the ride and Nigel got to sit on the seat along side the driver so had an elevated birds eye view. It was a great trip and would certainly do it again.

Rachel

chunkichik
16-01-2005, 22:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by

We all enjoyed the ride and Nigel got to sit on the seat along side the driver so had an elevated birds eye view. It was a great trip and would certainly do it again.

Rachel
[/quote]

arrr, bless, was it his birthday Rachel[msnwink]

I have wondered about going on these the last few times that we went, so I think would definately go next time

LiesaAnna
17-01-2005, 00:49
yes i will get my lot on these boats!!!!!!

poohbear
26-01-2005, 01:52
where are boggy creek airboats?

blott
26-01-2005, 02:07
There's one in Southport which is along Poinciana Boulevard and another at East Lake Toho. There's a map on their website http://www.bcairboats.com/locations.html and we prefer the Southport location as it's less busy and there's generally more wildlife as it's relatively undisturbed.

poohbear
27-01-2005, 14:48
thanks blott.

Nostromo
27-01-2005, 16:45
Has anyone tried Glades Adventures 'High Performance' Airboats? These are also near Kissimmee and the blurb says it is a full 1 hour trip with a lot of wildlife watching. How does it compare with Boggy Creek Airboats?

blott
27-01-2005, 20:07
Dunno Nostromo but perhaps we'll get Mum to test drive it for us and report back on our next visit? :)

Nostromo
27-01-2005, 20:55
Dunno Nostromo but perhaps we'll get Mum to test drive it for us and report back on our next visit? :)
[/quote]

Good idea Blott, but are you sure that you don't mean your mother-in-law? [msnwink][msnwink]

KJH
28-01-2005, 03:29
Ow Blott, didn't you say she 80 something years young!

[:O]Let me know how she gets on[laugh] [msnwink]

Kaz

blott
28-01-2005, 03:58
Managed to escape getting a mother in law when I got married. :)

She's 83 Kaz but she just loves airboats, especially when they go fast - what more can I say? [:I]

Nostromo
28-01-2005, 11:17

She's 83 Kaz but she just loves airboats, especially when they go fast - what more can I say? [:I]
[/quote]

Good for her! As I said before, age is just a number and I just love people who try to live life to the full within the limitations imposed by their physical ability. Your mother sounds like a great lady Blott,and here are 3 cheers for her! [beer][beer][beer]

Sally D
28-01-2005, 13:18
Managed to escape getting a mother in law when I got married. :)[/quote]

Blott, would you like a mother in law, I have one you can have

blott
28-01-2005, 16:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sally D
Blott, would you like a mother in law, I have one you can have[/quote]That's a very kind and generous offer... pass! I have too much trouble already trying to keep up with Mum! :D