PDA

View Full Version : Sky Venture

Angua
24-03-2004, 20:03
6805 Visitors Circle, Orlando - www.skyventure.com

“Sour like a bird on a 120mph column of air!” Basically, sky-diving on the ground!!

You’ll easily spot this vertical wind tunnel on your travels as it’s placed between the I4 and International Drive on the Universal Boulevard exit. It’s run by the same guys as SkyCoaster and G-Force and apparently they are building a tunnel in Milton Keynes so if you get addicted…..

Now, strictly speaking, I shouldn’t be writing this as I didn’t try it myself but I was present for all the training and witnessed Hubbie enjoying his flights so I think I can get away with it. [:I]

You’ll need to book this as they only have so many classes each day, although they are open seven days a week. We dropped in to see what it was all about and were invited to go up on the observation deck to see how it works. We sat and watched professional skydivers practising their moves. Apparently these particular teams were from Austria and Italy, although teams from all over the world come to SkyVenture to train, following the sun. Now THAT’s the life! Anyway, back to the point, even if you don’t feel you’re up to it, simply observing these teams is an experience in itself.

It costs $38.50 for an adult and $33.50 for children 12 and under and takes about an hour. The classes can be made up of up to a dozen people (I think). On our visit, there was only Hubbie and a Canadian chap.

You watch a video first, explaining some basics about sky-diving and the hand signals that your instructor uses. The instructor then goes through your body position and the hand signals again. You all then troop off to get suited, shod, goggled and your helmet fitted. Us Wimps went through to the observation deck, the pressure doors sealed behind us and the fans got underway ready for the boys to step into the column of air.

You get two flights, each lasting about one minute and your instructor stays alongside you in the tunnel to help and guide you. If they have time spare, you can buy another two minute flight for about $25. Now this seemed quite expensive to me at the time but when you consider they hire the tunnel to professional teams for £650 an hour, it’s not bad!

You are presented with a certificate confirming your feat at the end of your session and your Instructor will take a brief flight to show you how it’s done. Spiderman has nothing on these guys!! When booking you can buy a video for $16. Unfortunately, you can’t add it onto your SkyCoaster or G-Force video as it's too long.

Hubbie enjoyed the experience immensely, went for the extra time and would definitely do it again although he did say it was quite hard work.

Superb, even just observing.

TIP – When you leave the site, remember that Visitors Circle is one way. There is no sign to remind you as you exit and most people we saw leaving forgot, getting quite a surprise and nearly a head-on!!

TIP - here's a link for a great map http://www.skyventureorlando.com/directions.htm

Gillian-B
24-03-2004, 22:09
Thanks for this Sarah - it's something I'm definitely hoping to do this year as it looks great fun (and safer than jumping out of a plane) [msnsmile2]

Angua
24-03-2004, 22:39
Thanks Gillian! I'm pleased that you can make use of the review.

I'm sure you'll love it! Hubbie had a huge smile on his face all the way through, not easy in a 120mph gale!!!