PDA

View Full Version : Skycoaster & G-Force, by Old Town, Kissimmee

Angua
24-03-2004, 15:44
Had the pleasure of experiencing both of these rides just recently. The Skycoaster’s three towers are easily spotted from the 192, it’s right next to Old Town and has it’s own well sign-posted parking around the back. The G-Force ride is right next-door and there’s a nice deck around the ticket office for non-riders to sit and watch the ensuing spectacle, if you lose your “bottle”!

They have frequent deals on offer, two rides for the price of one etc. There's also vouchers for money off in the usual booklets that you can pick up from the restaurants etc. Hubbie and I took advantage of the Double Flyer ticket they had on offer at just over $80 for the both of us. This gave us one flight on the World’s Tallest Skycoaster as a couple and one ride on G-Force as Driver and Passenger.

We first tried the Skycoaster. You are raised 300ft into the air and dropped, with a brief moment of freefall before swinging backwards and forwards over the lake. You can either ride on your own (wind permitting) or in a group of up to three. The short walk from the ticket office to the ride entrance was peppered by amusing comments by the Commentator and did nothing to relax my nerves! [msnscared]

After suiting up in a snug harness, we walked up to the “cherry picker” where our harnesses were checked again and we were raised up a few feet to reach the cables. Once you are all connected, they gradually lower the cherry picker while asking you to lean forward until your feet leave the ground and you are suspended in mid-air. Strangely enough, I found this the worst part, imagining that I would end up splatted on the floor. Not a good sign![msncry]

The attendants start to raise the cables and you with them, passing helpful comments such as “oops, where did this bit go?” while holding bits of harness!! Gradually, you are raised to the top of the tower, some 300ft up, with great views of Orlando. We never got around to a night flight, but I’m sure that would be stunning. I left Hubbie to pull the rip-cord when they told us we were ready and was completely breathless as the ground rushed up to meet us, freefalling some 120ft. We gently swung away from the ground and over the lake, reaching 65 mph and getting slightly damp from the fountain spray. Phew![msnsmile2]

G-Force is a fairly new ride, I understand. Two “funny car” Mustangs sit side-by-side on tracks, powered by compressed air. You can race one another but on this occasion, Hubbie “drove” and I was the passenger. You climb through the window of the car (Dukes of Hazzard stylie so don’t wear a skirt!) and are strapped in to a five-point harness. The traditional dragster-style lights were in front of us and Hubbie hit the gas peddle at the appropriate time. Don’t try to cheat if you’re racing someone else as you can be “disqualified” and your false start will be announced to all and sundry on the large display at the end of your ride. The large display also shows your driver’s reaction time, speed reached and time taken. Hubbie’s reaction time was a rather impressive 0.07seconds, reaching over 100 mph in under 2 seconds.

Now, I've had to be pretty careful about pressure on my stomach (long story) so was concerned that I might feel some discomfort on both of these rides but I’m pleased to report that neither were “rough” and caused no discomfort at all, not even motion sickness, in my case anyway! I couldn't stop laughing!

Thrill Rides, don’t you love ‘em!![msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

TIP - If you’re watching from the deck, don’t sit or stand near the tannoy speakers as the music and commentating is VERY load. Well, it’s pretty hard to hear from 300ft up!!

TIP - If you buy the video of your experience on one of the rides ($16), you can have subsequent rides on either G-Force or Skycoaster added for just $5. Ask at the video kiosk as the ride staff don't seem to be fully aware of this.

Nostromo
24-03-2004, 16:35
Thanks Sarah. We've got tickets for bith these attractions for our Saturday evening visit to Old Town and it is nice to know the details beforehand. Tell me one thing though - how far is it from the rest of Old Town's entertainment area (Ferris Wheel, Car Cruise etc). We are planning to arrive there by about 5pm and stay till it closes; if we park in the main Car Park for Old Town, are the Sky Coaster and G-Force within walking distance?

Angua
24-03-2004, 17:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Thanks Sarah. We've got tickets for bith these attractions for our Saturday evening visit to Old Town and it is nice to know the details beforehand. Tell me one thing though - how far is it from the rest of Old Town's entertainment area (Ferris Wheel, Car Cruise etc). We are planning to arrive there by about 5pm and stay till it closes; if we park in the main Car Park for Old Town, are the Sky Coaster and G-Force within walking distance?
[/quote]

We didn't actually visit Old Town on this trip but it seemed to be just alongside. However, this was guaged from the top of the Tower so I may be mistaken! I would have said that it was easily within walking distance but perhaps someone else who's visited both attractions can help?

blott
24-03-2004, 18:18
I've looked at those rides Sarah and wondered about the people who go on them... even the description made me feel quite queasy! [msnsmile2]

Yep, they're right next door to each other, easy walking distance.

Angua
24-03-2004, 18:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
I've looked at those rides Sarah and wondered about the people who go on them... even the description made me feel quite queasy! [msnsmile2]

Yep, they're right next door to each other, easy walking distance.
[/quote]

I agree Blott, you have to be slightly potty to go on these rides.... or have a particularly persuasive Husband.[msnwink]

The anticipation is the worst part though - the rides themselves are (to use a word I hate) AWESOME!

Littletony
25-03-2004, 01:45
The rides are right next to Old Town. No need to move the car as it is effectivley all one site.

Did both of these earlier this month. I found the G-force a bit of an anti-climax it was all over in a few seconds leaving only a smouldering hole in my wallet.

The Sky coaster was fantastic though I would have returned for a second go if only time had permitted!!!

Gillian-B
26-03-2004, 02:47
Thanks again for this report Sarah :). I don't think I could quite summon up the courage to go on the Sky Coaster, but G-Force sounds excellent fun (and at least you stay at ground level!). One to look out for, I think, as Old Town is a trip we always make.