PDA

View Full Version : chinatown

murugasu
19-06-2002, 22:07
Does anyone know of a chinatown in Orlando?? And where do people go to buy fresh seafood besides the supermarket. New resident and trying to find out local areas for shopping. Also are there any good west indian restaurants/food markets around?

Hope someone can help

orlandobabe
15-07-2002, 00:39
The nearest to a chinatown that I know of is that collection of shops and restaurants inside splendid china-marker 4 on the 192.

To get to them though you would have to pay and sadly they close early-like before 7pm. It's such a shame. If you wanted to buy spices-and that's if they sell them-I'm sure you could blag your way through the turnstile-especially if you leave granny as hostage.

I've always felt that they could make so much more of this attraction-especially on an evening as it's positively spooky driving by there at night- especially with Big Budda watching you!

Orlandobabe

steph_goodrum
15-07-2002, 02:37
Orlandobabe
You can visit the shops without paying at Splendid China, there is a separate turnstile to go through to to the park and the show. There is one restaurant outside the turnstile and 1 inside where you get your meal on the all inclusive ticket, personally 1 trip was enough we didn't think it worth the money but Michelle would like to go and finish reading some of the details in the park as it was so hot the day we went we left to find some shade.

Babblin Boo

fiona
15-07-2002, 03:14
Sadly don't know of any West Indian shops, but there must be some. Chinatown is referred to as the area around Formosa Gardens Shopping Plaza. In our opinion (and that's all it is!) as Chris was brought up in Hong Kong he is quite fussy about his Chinese food, we have yet to have a good Chinese in Orlando. We have had 2 takeaways that have been rubbish from the 2 round here (FG) and the food we ate at China at Epcot was undescribably awful. It's how our Chinese used to be about 35 years ago - all monosodium glutamate(?spelling!!) and tasteless.

Mind you, as I was delighted when a plate of spinach arrived at a Chinese banquet in Hong Kong I don't know that I'm qualified to speak, but 1000 yr eggs and bean curd things that taste and look like rubber bands leave me cold. But meat or fish steamed with ginger or garlic - yum!

There must be somewhere to get good ingredients locally. We're still trying to find a good bakers? Any offers?

Fiona