PDA

View Full Version : Wearing contact lenses

firsttimer
24-03-2004, 01:31
I know this is a silly topic, but I wear lenses so can't wear them if I am going to be submerged/swimming.
What proportion of wet & wwild will I need to be in a cozzy and prepared to go under, and what proportion in shorts and top and just getting went not actually going in.
What do you do with your things when you are all in swimming costume mode? Is it safe to leave your towels and bags or do you have to keep putting things in lockers?
There will be us and our son, so ideally we will all want to go on things together.

chrisj
24-03-2004, 02:24
I dont wear my lenses on holiday for the reasons above

You can hire lockers at the parks to put your things in

Angua
24-03-2004, 12:52
Hubbie and I both wear contact lenses and each took a pair of swimming goggles with us on our recent trip for use in the pool and at any waterparks. Hubbie's pair of goggles even has glare/light reduction lenses! While we used them in the pool, we didn't use them at Wet'n'Wild and I was only effected with blurry eye syndrome [msnscared] on a couple of the slides and Hubbie not at all. In hindsight (no pun intended), I would probably wear the goggles on my next visit as you can just leave them around your neck when not on the slides.

It wasn't very busy on the day we visited Wet'n'Wild but we still hired a locker each to keep our bags in. The lockers are positioned immediately to the left when you enter, just outside the changing rooms. You will need to buy your keys at the Locker kiosk which is to the right of the entrance, opposite the swimwear shop. We just carried our towels around with us as it was quite cool that day. On a warmer day, we wouldn't have bothered as there is no charge to access your locker throughout the day and they're never very far away.

As to cost? If I remember rightly, is was about $8 for the two lockers all day. You are given a token and key for each locker and get a small rebate ($1) when you return the key and the token at the end of the day.

Have fun!

TIP! Don't take large solid bags. I only had a small back-pack and while the lockers are quite deep, the opening is not that big. Took a bit of squishing to get the pack in there.

porky
24-03-2004, 15:30
I also wear contacts and I only take them out to go to bed. I just keep my eyes closed when I go on the rides. I've been doing this for the last 15 years. I also do the same when I go swimming. I also wore them this Feb when I went snorkelling with the manatees.

Once I went swimming with goggles on, they leaked a bit round the edges and when I took them off one of my lenses floated out. Luckily I took them off over the side of the pool and grabbed the lens before it slipped back into the pool:D

Jacqui

firsttimer
24-03-2004, 17:39
My lenses are the hard ones (the sort that will float out easily, so I personally wouldn't risk relying on goggles. The only glasses I have are a very old prescription of "Deirdres" if you watch Corrie! So if I decide to wear those all day you'll probably recognise me!!

chrisj
24-03-2004, 18:00
I wear my cool sunglasses and the ladies all swoon at me :D:D

I never wear my lenses on holiday in case I lose them or I forget to take them
out before swimming etc

chrizzy100
24-03-2004, 18:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
I wear my cool sunglasses and the ladies all swoon at me :D:D

I never wear my lenses on holiday in case I lose them or I forget to take them
out before swimming etc
[/quote]

That really needs a witty clever answer....but I can't think of one.......[msnsad][msnoo]

chrisj
24-03-2004, 18:14
hehehhehehehe :D:D:D:D:D:D

Ray&Sarah
24-03-2004, 19:57
Ray wears contacts and always takes a pair of swimming goggles with him to the water parks to put on.
Just thought we would mention the fact that he does't wear his lenses on the flight as the atmosphere tends to dry them out and a friend of ours had his pop out, never to be seen again.
Causes a laugh at the airport, as his passport photo is minus glasses, with hair and he turns up with glasses and a shaved head. :D They tend to twice and somstimes three times!:D:D

porky
25-03-2004, 04:52
My lenses are hard ones as well first timer and I am as blind as a bat without them. I did think ones about wearing my glasses in Wet and Wild but I like to see where I am going and couldn't work out where to put the glasses when I got to the front of the ride queues.

No suggestions either, thank you. :D[msnwink]

Jacqui

bellaepovera
25-03-2004, 12:02
My cousin wears her contact lenses all the time, even when swimming and also opens her eyes under water!! The goggles seem like a great idea just to be on the safe side.

Nigel W
25-03-2004, 13:11
My son wears contacts without the goggles or anything but my wife is terrible with them, it just depends on the person on how you can handle the spray off the slides.[msnwink]

firsttimer
25-03-2004, 16:01
I think if they are soft they stay in better. Hard ones will float out at any excuse! Anyway, I'm not risking losing them fullstop! Having said that I have showered in mine using the shut eyes method.

I have an attachment which goes on the ends of the glasses arms and tightens at the back which might work if not to ferocious- I got it for skiing in a previous life. I'm blind as a bat without anything, so wouldn't recognise you Chris no matter how cooool you looked!

chrisj
25-03-2004, 16:12
:D:D:D Funny enough with my Cool Shades on and a recent haircut I have been told
I look very close to my avatar:)

Nigel W
25-03-2004, 16:42
Lol Chris[msncool]

Nigel W
25-03-2004, 16:43
What type of lenses do you wear then first timer. Also my son doesn't mind about his so much as they are dailys so its not the end of the world if he loses them.

Biggus
25-03-2004, 18:10
I wear soft contact lenses - the monthly sleep in change every 30 day variety and I never had an issue at W'n'W last time - as others have said I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with splashes etc......I do close my eyes etc when I know I am about to plunge underwater etc.
I even wore them at DC for the dolphin swim didn't think twice and have never lost one either. I did take spares and my glasses with me to the USA just to be sure.....

firsttimer
25-03-2004, 18:46
Mine are the hard expensive type, so as I said, I can't risk them.

Angua
25-03-2004, 19:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by firsttimer
Mine are the hard expensive type, so as I said, I can't risk them.
[/quote]

Understandable, you don't want to be wandering around with one eye shut for the rest of your holiday.;):D

We only use the disposable types now so goggles are fine for us. I think the disposables stick to your eye better..... At least it seems like that when you try to get them out again!![B)]

ujpest doza
19-04-2004, 20:33
I wear lenses, but for water parks i wear my glasses which have reactolite lenses so are just like sunglasses.

My lenses have been okay on splash mountain, duddly do right, bluto and popeye and the terakiki(sic) tidal waves at Busch gardesn as long as i shut my eyes at point of impact. I wouldn't try swimming in them though or especially the wave pool at typhoon lagoon as it is a struggle to not drown never mind not lose lenses.

bridget
03-05-2004, 14:19
I wear daily disposable soft lenses (Acuvue) to the water parks - never had a problem. Although I take a spare pair with me just in case. They're really comfortable and I wear them from 7:00am until midnight. [8D]

CarolAnn
28-08-2004, 01:56
I am a contact lense wearer[8D]never thought of wearing goggles in the water parks:)Mind you, if I did that then the family would expect me to go on all sorts[msntongue]