PDA

View Full Version : Panic Stations! Please advise asap!!!

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 18:46
We are due to start our 3-week holiday in a villa in Orange Tree in exactly a month. An hour ago, I casually phoned the caretakers to ask a trivial question only to be told that 'the villa had been sold and they were no longer responsible'. They were also unsure what would happen to our existing reservation, which is FULLY PAID UP. I am unable to contact the previous owner (the one I made the reservation with) as yet, which is probably understandable on a working day. But I am in a state of panic. Can some owners tell me if this sort of thing is common and what I have to do now?

athurstance
22-03-2004, 18:57
I wouldn't panic just yet - give the owner you made the booking with time to get back to you. It could simply be a case of them having changed their management company since you booked.
I would have thought it was courteous for the owner to have told you of any changes to ownership or change of management company but putting that aside its quite likely that your booking is still ok.
Did you book it via an owner on this site?

Carla
22-03-2004, 19:04
Don't panic, Angela is right. It may just be that thisowner has very recently changed MCs and the previous MC is "unhappy" about it!! It may also be that the villa has been sold, and that the new owner has taken on all existing bookings. This happens when a home is a resale. It may also be so new that the owner hasn't been able to let all guests know yet.

If the owner has simply changed MCs then it is very unlikely that the owner would have told their guests. It shouldn't matter to the guest which MC is involved. I changed 17 months ago, and didn't tell any of my guests about the change, except to give them new contact numbers in case of emergency.

I know that it is hard to wait but at least give him/her until much later tonight before you do start to worry.

Have you had your instructions yet on how to get to the villa, keys etc. etc.?

steph_goodrum
22-03-2004, 19:05
Nostromo

As you have not been contacted by the owner I would imagine the most likely scenario is that the Management Company has been changed rather than the owner, so the ex MC is stirring it up a bit as they are a bit peeved at being got rid of. The owner would not necessarily inform you of change of management as it would not normally affect a guest, as they probably would assume you would ring them first to ask questions.
It certainly isn't common and hopefully you will get an answer at some time today from the owner.

steph_goodrum
22-03-2004, 19:06
Carla
I wasn't copying you we must have typed at same time (or your clock is set earlier than mine).:D

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 19:23
Whew! Thanks people. Although widely travelled, this is our first attempt at a vacation home and I am on tenterhooks, to say the least. I have invited my sister-in-law and her family from India to join us for this trip, a special 10th birthday treat for my niece. Yes, Angela I booked the villa through this site. I think one of the other owners is a relative of my villa owner, but I don't think I should say more, do you? You are all probably right, but having arranged everything myself with a sizeable financial outlay, it will be a tremendous loss of face (not to mention money) for me if anything goes wrong.

What can I do in the worst case scenario?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-03-2004, 19:25
Nostromo:

Can you pm me the owners name so I can see if I can be of any help.

Carla
22-03-2004, 19:26
Great minds think alike Steph!!!

Nostromo, don't even go there yet. Find out what the owner has to say first. Don't cross a scenario bridge that you don't need to.
:D:D:D

John is around so he'll find out everything too.

Ruth
22-03-2004, 19:27
Why don't you email John (Floridadreamvilla) and give him the owners name for the villa you booked. He may well already know the circumstances and be able to put your mind at rest Nostromo.

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 19:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Nostromo:

Can you pm me the owners name so I can see if I can be of any help.
[/quote]

I've done it. But the owner seems such a nice person and if this is all needless panicking on my part, please keep it confidential so that her feelings are not hurt.

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 19:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
Why don't you email John (Floridadreamvilla) and give him the owners name for the villa you booked. He may well already know the circumstances and be able to put your mind at rest Nostromo.
[/quote]

John? You mean Mr Parry?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-03-2004, 19:43
No - John Rooke - alias floridadreamvilla.co.uk - I'm Roger Parry's business partner and look after the forums.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

John? You mean Mr Parry?
[/quote]

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 20:11
Thanks everybody for your help. From what Mr Rooke tells me, it is very likely that I'll be all right. But I went through a very traumatic few hours and hope that don't have to do that again. I'll keep you all posted.

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 20:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
[/quote]

Yes, I have, but no keys. It is supposed to be a numbered lock and we have been given a code. Is this all right?

Carla
22-03-2004, 20:31
That's absolutely great. I also only give out a number key code. You don't need a key.

You have to relax!!! Things will be fine.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
[/quote]

Yes, I have, but no keys. It is supposed to be a numbered lock and we have been given a code. Is this all right?
[/quote]

Carla
22-03-2004, 20:43
Can I just put a plea in here on behalf of the overworked MCs who manage our homes?

It's essential that guests (who have not yet started their vacation and who have a question/query, no matter how trivial) contact the owner of the villa and NOT the MC.

The MC phone numbers that you are given when you have paid your final balance, are for when you are in the villa, and intended for emergency use - most guests never need to use these numbers at all.

Most of us villa owners employ small companies and the MCs do most of the work required themselves. They have so much work to do on a day to day basis, with managing the homes etc. and looking after guests who are actually in the homes, that getting involved with guests before they arrive on vacation just adds to that load.

Nostromo, if you have any other queries, then the owner would love to hear from you.
:D:D:D:D

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 21:13
The (previous) owner has just replied to my e-mail and assured me that everything is all right. She has even given the details of the new owner, which tallies with the info given by John Rooke. Also, she apologised for not updating me, but I felt that the apology was unnecessary. As you lot said, I panicked too early, but please understand that I've been planning for this trip for almost a year and am under a great deal of stress for "everything to be all right". Thank you very much to all of you for giving me confidence and support; now I know that the lady I made the deal with is just like one of you - decent and helpful. It looks like personal circumstances beyond her control forced the sale decision on her but she has made absolutely certain that the booked customers - myself and others - would be all right. I feel embarassed and ashamed for my premature panicking. Thanks again.

Ruth
22-03-2004, 21:20
Nostromo, your reaction to the news of the sale was understandable, do not worry, the main thing is that everything is okay:)

steph_goodrum
22-03-2004, 21:24
Glad it's all ok for you Nostromo, I'm sure you will all have a wonderful time.

Carla
22-03-2004, 21:31
It'll be a brilliant vacation Nostromo. You've done everything that you possibly can to ensure this, so now you just have to sit back and let things take their course.

How many times have you said something similar to a patient????
:D:D:D:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-03-2004, 21:54
Glad you got it sorted in the end Nostromo - knowing the old owner like we do (she used to be a prolific poster on these very forums) I knew she would have it all in hand [msnsmile2].

I see you have got your park tickets almost finalised now so all you have to do is relax and have the vacation of a lifetime [msnsmile]!

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 22:50
OK, thanks once again everybody for your support and good wishes. And carla, yes I use those type of words quite often with my patients. But one thing - I never panic in a work situation, only for Holidays![msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Gillian-B
22-03-2004, 22:58
I know how you felt Nostromo as the first time I hired a villa in Florida, something similar happened to us (booking through a travel company, not direct with an owner though). However, it all ended great as we had a fantastic holiday and I've been going to Florida just about every year since [msnsmile2].

Relax now and have a great time.