PDA

View Full Version : White knuckle rides at Man Airport today!!

20-03-2004, 16:48
Sorry could not resist this snippet of info for all you keen aviators out there!

I have been listening to the radio transmissions and the wind is gusting up to 55 knots today straight down the runway at 240!

So anyone flying out today won't have to wait till the parks to have a white knuckle ride!!!

Happy Flying!!

Julie R[msnscared][msnscared][msnscared][msnscared]

Floridalover
20-03-2004, 17:26
Blowing a gale at Heathrow too......

blott
20-03-2004, 17:52
Who needs an airport? We've practically taken off and we're at home! [msneek]

lgordon6041
20-03-2004, 18:06
At least it is blowing straight down the runway. It is hard enough landing hawks with a 20 knot crosswind. Straight down the rwy isnt too bad. The windspeed is quite high though! Wouldnt like to be a nervous flyer airborne today. I think the first few minutes of flight will leave them looking a bit[xx(]

craigandersson
20-03-2004, 18:12
Worst possible weather for it today but does anyone know of any para-motor friendly sites?

Gillian-B
20-03-2004, 20:09
I'm really not listening . . . . .[msnscared]

On the bright side, if you can cope with a bumpy take-off, the rollercoasters in Orlando will be a doddle! (And, the holiday will be worth it anyway [msncool]).

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-03-2004, 22:03
Our garage roof has literally taken off:(today. John arrived back from Orlando this morning and said it was a tad bumpy!

Sarah

20-03-2004, 22:18
Sarah,

Tell John..............One aircraft this afternoon did a go around (abandoned landing) at 30 feet!!! Got it on video!

Serveral others did 2 or 3 go arounds with servere wind shear below 500 feet and particularly bad at 1 mile out causing speed loss and dropping below the glide!

Happy Flying!!

Julie R

chrizzy100
20-03-2004, 23:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie R
Sarah,

Tell John..............One aircraft this afternoon did a go around (abandoned landing) at 30 feet!!! Got it on video!

Serveral others did 2 or 3 go arounds with servere wind shear below 500 feet and particularly bad at 1 mile out causing speed loss and dropping below the glide!

Happy Flying!!

Julie R
[/quote]

I remember one year while waiting to leave in a storm..watching a plane get blown off the runway...my son thought that was great fun and hoped it would happen to us too......he was 4 I think......

20-03-2004, 23:44
One of the pilots today said after his 3rd attempt at landing that it was the best rollercoster ride he had ever been on!!!

Floridalover
20-03-2004, 23:45
I have the greatest respect for the US weather patterns in the summer. I got stuck in Minneapolis last June. There were 60+ tornadoes in the area, one in particular was over half a mile in diameter. It flattended a town 20 miles north of Minneapolis. There were sirens going off everwhere, frightening. However, not as frightening as my bar bill the next morning........[msnscared][msnscared]

20-03-2004, 23:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lgordon6041
At least it is blowing straight down the runway. It is hard enough landing hawks with a 20 knot crosswind. Straight down the rwy isnt too bad. The windspeed is quite high though! Wouldnt like to be a nervous flyer airborne today. I think the first few minutes of flight will leave them looking a bit[xx(]
[/quote]

I would love to fly with the RAF, diverted to Lossimouth (not sure if thats the correct spelling) once and was in total heaven seeing all those Tornados!!

Came close when I was allowed to take the controls of a Concorde once when we were on the way back from New York! Don't worry we did not have any passengers.

Happy Flying

Julie R

lgordon6041
21-03-2004, 00:01
Lossie is a great base and is where new Tornado pilots go to convert onto type. Wouldn't have minded having a 'go' with concorde though! Must have been great.
I enjoy military flying. Plus we don't have the responsibility of all those people down the back!

I will have the chicken please![8D]

21-03-2004, 00:08
Lossie is a great base and is where new Tornado pilots go to convert onto type. Wouldn't have minded having a 'go' with concorde though! Must have been great.
I enjoy military flying. Plus we don't have the responsibility of all those people down the back!

I will have the chicken please![8D]
[/quote]

It was the highlight of my career as cabin crew but my biggest regret is not learning to fly - I have had a few lessons but don't think I have all the brain cells to pass the exams.

Where are you based?

Happy Flying!

Julie R

chrisj
21-03-2004, 00:14
The winds have been really bad here, Northolt has had some problems today, its been great
watching the RAF circle round and round over where I live. There was a couple of the
Queens flight going round earlier, not sure if they had anyone important in

Heathrow must also be having problems, when they have strong winds the planes come over our
way and we have had loads of them all afternoon.

shame Concorde was s[bad language filtered out]ped, in bad days it would come into land right over my house and ive got some fantastic pictures of it

lgordon6041
21-03-2004, 00:15
I am based at RAF Valley on Anglesey flying the Hawk at the moment. I will hopefully fly the harrier fairly soon, hence the picture!
I don't think you need braincells to get through, just the desire and will to pass. Every trip is scored and 3 bad trips and you are no longer a Fast Jet pilot, it really is that harsh! Touch wood, Ive never even failed a trip yet!

Flying is like Marmite in my opinion, either you love it or you hate it! I most definetely love it!

Propellers in front of pilots are only designed to keep them cool. If they stop, you watch them sweat![msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
21-03-2004, 00:22
"Propellers in front of pilots are only designed to keep them cool. If they stop, you watch them sweat!"

I remember my uncle using that saying...he got it from some yanks he was flying with in the war.......

21-03-2004, 00:23
I am based at RAF Valley on Anglesey flying the Hawk at the moment. I will hopefully fly the harrier fairly soon, hence the picture!
I don't think you need braincells to get through, just the desire and will to pass. Every trip is scored and 3 bad trips and you are no longer a Fast Jet pilot, it really is that harsh! Touch wood, Ive never even failed a trip yet!

Flying is like Marmite in my opinion, either you love it or you hate it! I most definetely love it!

Propellers in front of pilots are only designed to keep them cool. If they stop, you watch them sweat![msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Oh definitely agree - I feel the need - the need for speed - guess what my favourite film of all time is!!!

Don't you guys at Angelsey fly down the Conwy valley? We used to have a holiday home there and have been buzzed a few times!! If you ever need volunteers for anything I'm there!!

Julie R

lgordon6041
21-03-2004, 00:54
We are indeed frequent visitors to the Conwy Valley, along with every other steep sided valley in Wales. We do a lot of low level flying and there is nothing better than flying vv low in valleys!!

Lake windemere in the Lake district is pretty impressive too.
I'll keep you in mind Julie[msnsmile2]