PDA

View Full Version : Virgin from Manchester to MCO - new planes!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-03-2004, 15:17
Just arrived back from MCO this morning and the captain was telling us that from early next year the service will be operated by Virgin mainline B747-400 series rather than the old leased Atlanta Icelandic B747-200. About time [msnsmile2].

Gillian-B
20-03-2004, 15:25
Do you think they would bring this forward to next month if I ask very nicely [msntongue] ?

Also, you've really worried me now as I thought they were at least 747-300[msneek]

Floridalover
20-03-2004, 15:35
Gillian, there's nothing to worry about. the 200 and 300 versions are identical (the 300 has a stretched upper deck and probably some flight deck/interior modifications). The thnig that is most important is the ongoing maintenance which I would doubt is questionable. The plane that is used on this service is an ex Air New Zealand (who sold it to Virgin who sold it to Atlanta Icelandic whom Virgin lease it back off to operate this service) aircraft so it has a good background and hasn't seem service in the deepest darkest corners of the world for shady operators.
Remember even if Virgin puts on a brand new 747-400 it's still a 37 year old aircraft design albeit with modifications along the way.:)

Gillian-B
20-03-2004, 15:56
Thanks for your comments Matt. The US is my favourite holiday destination, but I now hate flying (I used to love it and even made a start towards my Private Pilots License) [msnscared]. I've no idea what went wrong and have been waiting for the technology to beam you up to space and down to Florida in five minutes. As this still seems to be a way off ([msncry][msnwink]), I've enrolled on the Flying Without Fear program that Virgin run and will be going next weekend. Hopefully, I'll then be able to look forward to my forthcoming holiday [msnsmile2].

Also, welcome home John & Roger - hope you had a great trip.

Floridalover
20-03-2004, 16:10
I am petrified of heights, I have been to the top of a lot of great buildings in North America (CN Tower, Sears Building, Empire State Building, World Trade Centre etc) but you won't catch me standing within 6 foot of the edge, and that's with a glass enclosure[:I]I even have dreams about falling and wake up in a real state.
Yet, I fly to the States and back most weeks, last year I was on a plane every 2.5 days on average and it doesn't bother me one bit. Infact, I prefer a window seat, Why should only pilots have the best office view in the world ??:D:D
Your not the first person I have heard of that this has happened to but good on you for addressing it. A lot of people feel they are not in control of their own destiny when they fly and this causes issues with them. Well, flying is still the safest form of transport by far !It would be a shame to miss out on all that the world has to offer, especially when you used to enjoy it !
Good luck with the course and hope you enjoy your hols[8D][8D]

Gillian-B
20-03-2004, 16:20
Thanks Matt - I'm hoping to get back the enjoyment and excitement that I used to feel (I may even want to look into the PPL again [?])

20-03-2004, 16:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Just arrived back from MCO this morning and the captain was telling us that from early next year the service will be operated by Virgin mainline B747-400 series rather than the old leased Atlanta Icelandic B747-200. About time [msnsmile2].
[/quote]

Hi John,

Hope you had a good landing this morning as it gusting up to 55 knotts at 240 straight down the runway now!!

How was it earlier?

Good news re 747-400's eh, it is about time!!

Julie R

Fozzie
20-03-2004, 18:27
Great to hear that they are finally going to replace old 'Honey Pie':), having been back and forward three times so far this year on her, its definately beginning to show its age - its hard explaining to the kids when the marketing literature says that every seat has a games console, why all the seats we are sat on, dont work!!!![msnmad].

Mmmm, beginning to think that BA crew are taking over Florida, almost every second person I bumped into last week in Florida from the UK was either BA, ex BA, or related to someone from BA either buying, had bought or thinking about it (well if it isnt the worlds greatest airline, maybe its the best payer[msnwink]).

I heard last week that Virgin were thinking about adding a second flight next year (wonder if thats connected with the new plane?), maybe 'Honey Pie' will still be around for a while yet [oh yes, you may have guessed it, that tit bit came from a BA pilot!.]

Fozzie

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-03-2004, 18:30
It was a bit bumpy on the ILS but not too bad. I thought they let the aircraft float a bit too long on the flare and cosquently landed about 1/3 of the way down the runway but pulled up pretty sharpish so ended the landing well.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie R
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
[/quote]

Hi John,

Hope you had a good landing this morning as it gusting up to 55 knotts at 240 straight down the runway now!!

How was it earlier?

Good news re 747-400's eh, it is about time!!

Julie R
[/quote]

Floridalover
20-03-2004, 19:10
Fozzie, watch out, there are a lot of us around! They dont pay us enough, hence we have to buy elsewhere[msncry][msncry] and anywhere there is sunshine you'll find airline people. I know crew members that commute from South Africa and Florida !

Fozzie
20-03-2004, 19:30
Hi Matt, it sounds a tough life[8D], BA is like a second home to me as well - I spend so much time on your flights.

Fozzie

MrEktion
20-03-2004, 19:44
I did see some rumours that Virgin were considering a direct summer service to the Caribbean from Manchester.

If so they will maybe use the Air Atlanta aircraft for that.

Mr E

Floridalover
20-03-2004, 19:50
Fozzie, it could be worse[:p]Glad you fly the flag, hope we treat you well....might see you on board one of these days. Do you have regular routes ?

chrizzy100
20-03-2004, 20:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Gillian-B
Thanks for your comments Matt. The US is my favourite holiday destination, but I now hate flying (I used to love it and even made a start towards my Private Pilots License) [msnscared]. I've no idea what went wrong and have been waiting for the technology to beam you up to space and down to Florida in five minutes. As this still seems to be a way off ([msncry][msnwink]), I've enrolled on the Flying Without Fear program that Virgin run and will be going next weekend. Hopefully, I'll then be able to look forward to my forthcoming holiday [msnsmile2].

[/quote]

I used to love flying.....and then for some unknow reason hated it......I got myself over that feeling by traveling on my own....and it worked.....:D:D

Gillian-B
20-03-2004, 20:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I used to love flying.....and then for some unknow reason hated it......I got myself over that feeling by traveling on my own....and it worked.....:D:D
[/quote]

Sounds like a great reason for a shopping trip to Florida without the other-half [msnwink]

chrizzy100
20-03-2004, 20:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I used to love flying.....and then for some unknow reason hated it......I got myself over that feeling by traveling on my own....and it worked.....:D:D
[/quote]

Sounds like a great reason for a shopping trip to Florida without the other-half [msnwink]
[/quote]

Thats what I did.......hehehehehehe

Fozzie
20-03-2004, 20:44
Matt, not sure you would categorise me as a regular for a specific route, but I usually fly at least once a week throughout Europe ~ typically Amsterdam, Frankfurt & Hamburg (some people I meet are doing the same flight every day/week regular as clockwork[msnscared]).

I have had the good fortune of working with a company based in Florida for the last 18 months, which has seen me travelling every couple of months or so, either by BA through LGW to Miami/Orlando/Tampa (whichever is the cheapest[msnsmile]) or Virgin direct to Orlando (when I feel lazy and want a direct).

I've got a deposit on a new build off US27, should be built early next year, but I would also like to get a resale a bit nearer the 'magic', so expect my travel to Florida will be reasonably regular for the next 6 months at least, maybe bump into you then - being staff I assume you get to fly in the big seats?[msnsmile2].

Interesting point several people have made about not liking flying, my wife went through a stage 3 years ago where she got really phased whenever she was faced with a flight, I think it was related to a long and rough landing years back - but with much perserverance she is ok again now.

Fozzie

Floridalover
20-03-2004, 21:18
I would say that is regular enough. I fly Madrid, Rome, Lyon, New York, Chicago and Miami as my regular routes but also Bombay, Delhi and Cape Town. It's nice to have variety in life and if its work related its the big seats. For personal travel I'm confined rearwards, that's if I get on. The perks are not as good as they are made out to be. Stand-by travel is near impossible on some routes like Orlando for example, most of the year.
Got to take the rough with the smooth:)
Being used to regular 'flying' sounds i always freeze if I hear something out of the ordinary. More often than not its nothing though and I'm soon back to the smoked salmon, champagne and caviar :D:D

villainthesun
21-03-2004, 00:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MrEktion
I did see some rumours that Virgin were considering a direct summer service to the Caribbean from Manchester.

If so they will maybe use the Air Atlanta aircraft for that.

Mr E
[/quote]

For those up-country wanting to go to the Caribbean, bmi are starting direct services from Manchester at the end of November.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/sectionhome.aspx?p=194&Rid=377

There are also rumours flying around of a link-up between bmi & Virgin.

benfilo
21-03-2004, 01:40

[/quote]

I must admit i'm a scaredy cat when it comes to flying , and I seem to get worse as i get older it's ok when I'm on the plane and we start takeoff that actually gives me a buzz, but a few days or even weeks before I start to have the odd butterfly attack,and I don't want to talk about that trip up the M6 to the airport.
I also have to say that a couple of southern comforts help just before boarding.We're now planning at least 2 trips a year to Florida so I'm going to have to get over it . I'll also be paying attention to all the tips

Nigel W
21-03-2004, 13:23
Cant wait to try the new plane out then as we always use Virgin from Manchester

Matt
21-03-2004, 14:26
Fozzie, you mentioned that you may get games consoles that work on the new Virgin planes out of MAN.

All flights out of LGW don't even have the games feature on-board, so I guess you can count yourself lucky that Honey Pie had them on-board.

Matt

Fozzie
21-03-2004, 15:05
Agree that the games console is not there, but then they dont advertise the fact!, when you take three children who have read the well marketed kids pack they know not only what films they will watch but also which games they want to play - I know its only a simple point, but when your children are badgering you because they cant enter a character on hangman, you start to feel the noose tighten.

Besides, not trying to be too critical at least the flights out of LGW have a flight map system that works, and without mentioning names the last flight I had , was 4 crew short, and the seat cover in front of me was in bits with foam hanging out, & the in-flight films crashed 3 times, & [msnscared].....

Fozzie

Gillian-B
21-03-2004, 15:55
I've never understood why the LGW flights to Orlando don't have the games system??? I would have thought it was the most sensible route to put this entertainment system on, what with the amount of kids onboard (including big ones like us :)).

Fozzie
21-03-2004, 16:07
Gillian, seems that you've rumbled me...;)

Maybe with all the BA staff in Florida we could set-up a petition?

Fozzie

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-03-2004, 18:28
We got to try it in advance as the usual Honey Pie was being used for route proving for a possible new service from Manchester so they kindly sent a 747-400 from LHR for our trip back - Club Orlando seats were very nice and reclined into a bed. I even managed some sleep for the first time ever on a plane [msnsmile2].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridavillas2go
Cant wait to try the new plane out then as we always use Virgin from Manchester
[/quote]

SunLover
21-03-2004, 19:51
Frankly, any plane that gets me to Florida, new or old, is good in my book ;)

lgordon6041
21-03-2004, 19:53
So you flew club orlando John? Very nice if you can get it!
Ive never had a problem with the VS flight from MAN, ive taken it 4 times in the last year and it was fine every time, and the games worked. Miracle!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-03-2004, 19:56
Yep - we did Club Orlando both there and back Lee. Well worth the money for the upgrade, although I'm not sure we'd do it when taking the family as it would cost a fortune for us all!

We actually paid to upgrade to Premium Economy and then got a free upgrade to Club Orlando both ways [msnsmile2].

Fozzie
21-03-2004, 20:26
Wow, Sleep? - how did you manage that??, it really must be good, cant wait to check it out[8D]...

Fozzie

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-03-2004, 21:18
2 glasses of champagne before we took off, 1 gin and tonic and 2 glasses of wine with my meal did the trick very nicely [msnwink][msnsmile][msnwink][msnsmile].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fozzie
Wow, Sleep? - how did you manage that??, it really must be good, cant wait to check it out[8D]...

Fozzie
[/quote]

Fozzie
21-03-2004, 21:26
Ah yes, purely for medicinal purposes;), I will give that a try next time.
[msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-03-2004, 21:32
[msnsmile2]