PDA

View Full Version : College costs

johnandmariauk
19-03-2004, 16:55
Can anybody give me some guidance on what it would cost to put a child through college in Florida? We would be on an E2 visa.

blott
19-03-2004, 17:03
A lot of money as, although you'd be living in Florida, your child would be classed as an International student. Esprit is about to embark on this so I would think she could give you a better idea.

esprit
21-03-2004, 19:29
If you get a GPA of 3.00 or above you get a scholarship if on green card and pay nothing. If below you pay around $50 per credit hour. On an E2, you pay the same fees as if you were travelling in on an F1 visa from Europe or S America to study even though you live here and for UCF that is $350 per credit hour. Plus other fees. Credit hour is hard to explain but it works out about $13,000 pa. It is cheaper to to do two years at a community college doing an associate degree and then transfer to UCF for the last years to complete bachelors. Or some jobs such as nursing, the associate degree qualifies you without bachelors. The fee for community college is $200 to $220 per credit hour with the norm around $207. The course my son is looking at which is a two year one has 72 credit hours so we are looking at around $15,000 base cost for two years plus another $13,000 if they want to do the third year to upgrade to bachelors. That is the base cost and doesnt include any other costs such as equipment and uniforms, books or exam fees or any subsistance costs. When you apply for F1 student visa, they make the parent sign an affidavit saying they have the means to send the student some enormous sum, off the top of my head it was around $25,000 pa. And they ask to see bank statements. On an E2 , you would not have to do this but still have to pay the same international students fees. This is really galling us at present as with a GPA of 3.45, our son would be entitled to a scholarship and fees paid if we had green cards, The kid cant get a part time job to subsidise himself either. It is a real problem and just one associated with E2. PM me.

chrizzy100
21-03-2004, 20:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
If you get a GPA of 3.00 or above you get a scholarship if on green card and pay nothing. If below you pay around $50 per credit hour. On an E2, you pay the same fees as if you were travelling in on an F1 visa from Europe or S America to study even though you live here and for UCF that is $350 per credit hour. Plus other fees. Credit hour is hard to explain but it works out about $13,000 pa. It is cheaper to to do two years at a community college doing an associate degree and then transfer to UCF for the last years to complete bachelors. Or some jobs such as nursing, the associate degree qualifies you without bachelors. The fee for community college is $200 to $220 per credit hour with the norm around $207. The course my son is looking at which is a two year one has 72 credit hours so we are looking at around $15,000 base cost for two years plus another $13,000 if they want to do the third year to upgrade to bachelors. That is the base cost and doesnt include any other costs such as equipment and uniforms, books or exam fees or any subsistance costs. When you apply for F1 student visa, they make the parent sign an affidavit saying they have the means to send the student some enormous sum, off the top of my head it was around $25,000 pa. And they ask to see bank statements. On an E2 , you would not have to do this but still have to pay the same international students fees. This is really galling us at present as with a GPA of 3.45, our son would be entitled to a scholarship and fees paid if we had green cards, The kid cant get a part time job to subsidise himself either. It is a real problem and just one associated with E2. PM me.
[/quote]

Even with a greecard I'm still looking at paying $13k+ for my son to go to a collage to learn car spraying...and body repair.....to top up his tech course.......

esprit
21-03-2004, 20:57
Is that a private type place, Chrizz? It is only the state run public ones you get for free on scholarship and I think it is a Florida run scheme. Fun, aint it???

chrizzy100
21-03-2004, 21:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Is that a private type place, Chrizz? It is only the state run public ones you get for free on scholarship and I think it is a Florida run scheme. Fun, aint it???
[/quote]

Yes its private..he is top of his class.....so he may get a scholarship......and he can work to help out.......if we have to pay.....but everytime you turn around in this country its more costs.....:(